1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyson Fury. Sports Personality Of The Year?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by finm, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Sorry, football is a microcosm of all that is bad in our society.

Win at all costs, break the rules as long as you don't get caught, disrespect for authority etc

I have no time for it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. arf

3. He should be but i doubt it.

I'd vote for Dawkins in the "Exposing creatards for the twats they are" category but i don't think even channel 4 is ready for that show yet.

4. Sir Ranulph Fiennes
    Joey Dunlop
    Jeremy Clarkson
    Fred Dibnah

Reserves:
    The Marquis de Sade
    Frank Bough
    Bernard Manning
    Genghis Khan

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Me? :Finger:

6. You? :Happy:

7. Role models are specific to certain fields of endeavour surely ?

Sir Ernest Shackleton came to mind who, through his leadership, saved the crew of the Endurance, one of the most incredible stories of the 20th century, yet like most driven individuals he was a deeply flawed man.

Should role models not just be ordinary people who do the right thing ?

8. I was with you until Sir Ranulph Fiennes, tough and determined no doubt, but a self serving self publicist if ever there was one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I think there's one sticking point with Fury? - sports "PERSONALITY"???

• Like Like x 2
  10. I am really glad you made that comment about Ranulph Fiennes! I like many others was drawn in to the man and the hype - but it finally dawned (duh!) on me after the umpteenth TV programme,interview etc

11. my stepfather was probably fred dibners role model. so i should be doing alright lol.
    appart from what i have seen of him on tv as a kid i very funny from what i remember bernard manning a role model?. for speaking what he thinks or for just not thinking?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Good point. Individuals who are fantastically brilliant intellectually are admirable, of course, but the rest of us cannot feasibly model ourselves upon them. The same goes for individuals who are extraordinarily strong or quick physically.

Great moral strength is another matter.

13. All very strange about "Oscar" getting dragged back to court for the change to a murder conviction from manslaughter conviction? What happened? Did his cheque bounce??? Can't help feeling it will be yet another cruel slap in the face for that poor girls parents? They will never see justice for their daughter? Money talks,bullshit walks

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. He was nominated but dismissed summarily with "On yer bike".

15. And just for balance: Pope John Paul II, St Francis of Assisi, The Dalai Lama, Adi Shankara, Jesus Christ.

16. The manslaughter conviction was in a criminal court, the murder conviction is in a civil court brought by the family of RS.

17. The title of the award always was an oxymoron, BBC have even publicly admitted that the award is given solely on the basis of sporting achievements

Had the award been given properly according to its title Guy Martin would have won it several years running

But if the BBC think that homophobia and sexist comments are appropriate for sports personality of the year maybe its time that the taxpayer stopped subsidising their activities and the annual licence fee was dropped, I object to my money promoting people like Tyson Fury as personality of the year or any other such title

18. I object to my license money being used to further promote anyone who is a successful professional and a millionaire already. They've won life's lottery, they're fit, they've reached the top of their professional tree, most of them becoming fabulously wealthy in the process and kids have pictures of them on their bedroom walls. Well done. Isn't that enough?
    Next they'll be giving knighthoods to tennis players for winning one tournament..

• Like Like x 1
  19. If you want role models
    How about Bradley Smith and Scott Reading even Stoaner the moaner

Maria Costello and Jenny Tidmouth for the girls

My favourite Guy Martin
    Bear Grylls

There are endless well deserving sports personalities

Must be lead by the media repeat after me must be lead by the media

• Like Like x 2
  20. Oh what a massive shock (not).Fury has been stripped of his IBF title for dodging a legitimate opponent and instead going for a rematch with Klitchsko.I thought of it before they did

Do Not Sell My Personal Information