1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uber Self-drive Fatality

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chris, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Several months ago on some programme about AI they showed many tests on self drive including convoys of trucks. Imagine the carnage they would cause if they went wrong (or Putin intervened to close down the internetz)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Agree, they would take the ‘train crash’ to the streets.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. What I couldn’t get my head round is that some of the people asked to comment were criticising the ‘safety driver’ for taking her eyes off the road momentarily!!

• WTF WTF x 1
  4. Have you seen the video footage of her? Momentarily it was not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yes, of course I saw it, but… It’s self drive!? - if these systems get fully established can you imagine the lawsuits in the future?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I'm not defending the safety/wisdom of self-drive vehicles. The point of the supervisor was to avoid the very situation that occurred. Given that she wasn't even watching the road, she could hardly claim to be supervising. IMO she deserves all the criticism she gets, and should be prosecuted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stupid idea that is a prime example of technology for the sake of it.
    The only conceivable purpose of "driverless" cars is to make money for their creators and diminish the freedoms of ordinary people and further corporatise their lives.

Safe, self-driving passenger conveyances already exist. They're called taxis.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. question,,,So in twenty/thirty years time when the robots have taken over the show and the Human race has expanded again what and where are the jobs for us humans:thinkingface::thinkingface::thinkingface::thinkingface::thinkingface::thinkingface::thinkingface::thinkingface::thinkingface::thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  9. and there we are Gary, I rest my case re: Lawsuits, if you look at the rest of her journey or that of many 'safety drivers' you will see them often not looking at the road in front and you should be able to do this in my and many other people's opinion - that's the whole point of the system! We can watch this case and see if she gets prosecuted - I don't believe she will nor deserves it - I just wouldn't put myself in that situation in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  10. did you even type this?

#12 Chris, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  11. :blush: sorry it was off thread

#13 XH558, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. whatever happened to human input and trust?..

off topic - did you get to see this? - creeped me out, bloke took advantage of his wife moving out while ill I think.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-sex-robots-are-coming

13. She was in her break time dude :thinkingface:

14. It must be just about impossible to maintain the same amount of concentration sat behind the wheel of a driverless vehicle than being in control yourself, unless there are safeguards of some sort, I think even train drivers have to press a button or pull a lever every minute or so to keep things moving and they are on tracks with very few objects to avoid. Totally idiotic idea in my opinion.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Agree, could be you need more concentration than manual overall. I hope no-one tries to apply the same logistics as seen in statistics involved in when to action a vehicle recall based on fatalities.

16. I live with a senior lecturer and shes says we are producing idiots:rolleyes:as for the replacement women,, are we all on Drugs;)

17. Having watched the cam footage, tbh I don’t think anyone would have avoided the woman with the bike. No lights, little street lighting, dark, no reflective clothing, looks to be a main highway so totally unexpected.

I’m not a big fan of AI (system has to make choices based on cold facts, based on a humans interpretation of right and wrong, not human reactions) but don’t think it’s to blame in this circumstance (given just te footage available)

18. And it’s Uber. So she was probably paid about $2 ph on a self employed basis.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information