1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured 748 Unearthed My 748 From The Garage

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Jay Blake, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Hi everybody, I have started to gather some parts for my 748 reinstatement, new battery and some Metzelers have arrived,
    Hopefully come next month we can get back on the road.
    I bought it in 2002 for £7250 and its been stashed for years as I bought a Hypermotard but kept it .
    Its time has arrived.

20240413_130912.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  2. Don't forget belts if it's been sitting a while.
    20231219_151425.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Love me some zombie bike revival.

Current list of parts?

4. Don't forget the tank seals, fuel filter, fuel hoses. There's a chance they've perished over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hi, I bought a 748 November last year and a helpful mechanic told me that brake pads can become detached from the backing plate if left for long periods! . It was enough for me to order new ones as mine had been sitting since 2008. Maybe worth some considering enjoy your bike!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OK thanks, how has is been since reinstatement

7. I passed in November and was my first bike. Had a lot of parts replaced before using. Belts, water and fuel pipes, seals, full service and fluids. Hadn’t given the pads a thought until this chap mentioned them and I swapped them out for some Brembo sintered pads. Very good. I fitted some Michelin road 5 too. I love riding this bike. The noise and looks are just fantastic. Uncomfortable but I don’t care! I briefly bought a fireblade 954 and didn’t like it and sold it on with in 2 weeks. Ducati is the one for me. I’m thinking of a streetfighter to go along with it. Good luck with the duc

• Like Like x 3
  8. That's great to hear, thank you there are cracking bikes I have a Hypermotard it's great to have another style of steed .
    Wouldn't mind a Sf myself

9. I bet the hypermotard is comfortable bike. Another piece of advice I was given was change the oil after couple hundred miles if bike been sitting for a while. Checking both the filters for metal flakes. Just food for thought. Might be pointless advice or helpful!

10. A big step nearer on getting one of my better buys back otr, it's off for belts etc , I just havnt got the facilities to do it here.
    I looked at the service history and its super no expense spared,
    I've have all the books ,reciets complete tool kit ,original plate from 2002 original end cans I've cleaned and boxed up as stay with the bike .
    Hopefully next week it's back otr

20240629_094848.jpg

#10 Jay Blake, Jun 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  11. It's going to be a long week ..
    My 12 years off the road 748 is

Reinstated
    Serviced
    Taxed
    Mot
    Insured &

I don't think I can collect it until Saturday..

20240706_145320.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. You taken it to Glen, Moto v

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thought it was i could tell by the wall and path, i really must get out more :D

#13 Roadtrip, Jul 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Absolutely, mega job putting a old Desmo back otr

#14 Jay Blake, Jul 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
  15. I think it will probably piss down until then anyway.

16. Can't praise the the service & work enough.

Fantastic, it going to
    Doesn't seem a lot of piont a lot of time, we went abroad in March ,it was shite for 6 month before that and its been the same since .. awful

Do Not Sell My Personal Information