1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unibond For Carbon Items

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Etherion, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Hi all,

I purchased an ilmberger carbon swing arm cover for my panigale v4 and am having issues fitting.

The cover came with double sided tape - but as you know, the v4 swingarm is not a smooth finish so not a chance in the world sticking. I then purchased clear unibond which I used (not huge amounts) thinking this would stick, but it easily came loose by hand.

Now, typically the unibond stuff has worked really well in the past with swingarms that had a smooth finish, so I am not sure if its a case of putting more unibond or this simply doesn't work on the non smooth finishes?

If the latter, any suggestions to how to get it to stick?

Thanks

2. I use clear silicon Li. I have used it on frame and swingarm protectors. The only thing that would stop it sticking is if there is oil/grease or something like back to black on the swingarm that would need cleaning off first.

3. Haven't looked at the swingarm on the v4 but you may need to be a bit more liberal with the silicon. Sikaflex is another good product to use and sticks like shit to a blanket.

4. The only thing I would add is to ask the question if you want it for looks or protection? If looks only, use silicone, however that will pop off in an accident. If you want it to protect the swingarm, use something like Dow Corning’s 732 sealant. It is more likely to withstand a crash, and I removed my tank protectors without any damage to the tank.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information