1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uninsured Driver

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by sijtwin, Feb 6, 2019.

1. My 2 week old van may have been written off after an accident last Saturday, for which I accept no blame (other vehicle on my side of the road, nigh on a head on collision)
    I’ll know more by the end of the week regards repair costs.
    It appears that the fella driving the other vehicle was probably not insured. This is being investigated.
    Clearly, this is going to be expensive for me. I’m aware of the Motor Insurance Bureau, from which I may have to make a claim.
    Does anyone here have any experience of this situation they would care to share?
    Thanks in advance

2. The claim goes through your insurers, MIB then effectively see them right and cancel out what they’ve paid you. Your no claims etc should be unaffected. You can also claim injury if any.

Not usually any point trying any personal small claim against them as if they couldn’t afford insurance, they won’t have the assets to pay you anyway.

3. An uninsured driver reversed into the front wing of my Porsche 968 many moons back. I had just stopped and taken the keys out of the ignition so I couldn’t use the horn to warn him.
    He said he was unsured at the time but it soon became apparent he wasn’t. Cost me the best part of a grand to get it repaired.
    I was then told much later on by my solicitor he had declared himself bankrupt!
    The twat!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Had my car written off by an uninsured driver, many years ago, all sorted out fairly painlessly through MIB and paid out fully what I'd have hoped for.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mine was a "stationary, my side of the road, 'this is going to hurt' RTA. Other driver hadn't actually passed his test, although he'd told his parents, and his insurers, that he had!
    His insurer paid up "without prejudice" fortunately.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information