1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming Scotland & North Of England Road Trip

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Nigel Machin, Jul 20, 2017.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  1. When do reckon the best time to that will be? April? May?

2. may is traditionally the driest month of the year on the west coast along with end of April and June.but not this year ffs i tells yah.
    if yer into to your scenery and colors i would say end of may early june. with the added bonus of not being to busy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Has anyone said Hartside Pass yet? Good cafe up there and some great roads. It's not far from Penrith and Keswick and is a nice detour through some very scenic bits of Cumbria / Durham.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If it were me ( i do a Scotland trip a couple of times a year

Avoid the Lakes as it is always too busy
    go through the Dales instead and then head HAwes to Brough then the tomahawk trail to Middleton and over the moors to Stanhope and again Moors to Hexham, Bellingham then eventually Jedburgh
    Take the tourist road to Edinburgh then over the Bridge
    Exit at J4 pass Knockhill Gleneagles and Crief and stop overnight around that neck of the woods

Avoid the A9 where possible
    The road NW from Dalwhinnie is a cracker as is the road from Invergarry and Glenshiel to Elean Donan castle

If you Pm me a e mail address I have some great routes for Garmin

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. IMG_1539.JPG Got this in preparation, hero 4 housing with intergrated waterproof charging lead...no need to carry spare batteries or chargers! Result!

6. Thanks @Redrick PM'd :)

7. If you're doing the lakes, A7 is a pleasant way to get to Edinburgh. Tweed valley makes a nice detour too. If Aviemore is a destination, try try Loch Tay & Loch Tummel on the way. I wouldn't bother with it, apart from a splendid chip shop. As everybody else says, avoid the A9. Avoid Loch Ness and Spean Bridge road is good.

As the locals have noted, west is good. If short of time, have a go at Mull, which is Scotland in miniature.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information