1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Upgrading Brakes On A 999

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by gliddofglood, Sep 22, 2014.

1. I've got an old 996 with 4 pad conventional calipers (p4?) Brembo full floating track discs and 19x20 radial master cylinder. With good tyres (slicks) i can lift the rear at over 150mph with 1 finger. The master cylinder is a common mod if not already done, but high iron content discs and matched pads made a big difference without any need change forks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I had one P4, race pads, std disc on my monster and that was one finger stoppie with a fire blade non radial mc. When I fitted two with a 18x20 brembo radial set up it was phenomenal and braking fierce. Ok it was only from 120mph tops but no fade, and I could brake way later

3. @gliddofglood I know you said at the time that your brakes were well maintained but I wonder if you had freed up your bobbins to keep the semi floating discs floating as they should. My bobbins were pretty seized up and cleaning them out by putting a bolt through and spinning them up with a drill and cleaning fluid made an enormous difference to the power and feel of my brakes. I cleaned mine until each bobbin made an audible click when I moved it.

4. Thanks for this, Old. TBH, there is nothing wrong with the brakes on my bike, just that I have noticed that the brakes on some later models (the Streetfighter springs to mind) have moved the game on a bit. I think mine are perfectly well maintained, but they are what they are, and that is very good. But just no longer the best.

5. If you have the later fork lowers with 100mm centres the standard calipers available are the 1x98 Brembo M4 which will work fine with your stock m/c or you can use the Brembo M50 from the Panigale but you'll need either a Panigale OEM m/c (16mm), an RCS 17, or an XR01170 (19MM) if you wanna splash some more cash, ride in the wet a lot and/or want the maximum braking modulation currently available.

6. I swapped some blue spot radial R1 calipers onto a mates zx12 last year. No change in master cylinder but new longer brake lines with axial/radial adaptors. Blimey what a difference despite being a big old bike very easy to overbrake.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information