1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usable Classic Brit.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Gimlet, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Its not exactly top priority at the moment but it keeps crossing my mind. I've long had a hankering for a classic Brit. Never owned one so not a nostalgia trip or trying to relive my youth and I wouldn't want an indoor collectors piece, therefore it would have to be a usable classic that works and can actually be ridden properly. So reasonably reliable, not too obscure or precious and absurdly expensive and with good spares supply. Performance irrelevant as long as its enjoyable to ride.

650 Triumph and BSA twins and featherbed Nortons are probably out because they're just too expensive now. 500 twins much more affordable and I've always liked the pretty little green BSA A7.
    Always fancied a BSA B33 too but very rarely see one. Plenty of B31s but if I had a single it would need to be a 500.
    Love Ariel twins and the older singles too.

Matchless G9 is another option. Always reckoned to be one of the sweetest usable runners and they are pretty.

So what affordable (5 K-ish or under) classic Brit would people buy if they were actually going to ride it?

2. Anything for sale at 5K or under will be a project requiring a load of work doing. Even an ordinary runabout in average usable condition is heading for 10K these days. Here's a suggestion: consider a Royal Enfield (Redditch, not India). Bullets were practical without being too desirable, hence affordable. Or a Matchless/AJS 500 single, ordinary one not Trials.

3. The best Brit bike I owned that was reliable and fun to ride was a 77 or 78 Triumph Bonnieville. My '75 (which I thought was a 73) Trident was a better bike, but the starter was weak, switch gear so so and so I guess Triumph improved their systems in the intervening five years.

The Bonnie took me from San Diego where I bought it on an impulse to Colorado without missing a beat.

I don't know what they fetch but £5K should get you a good one based on what I remember seeing at the Stafford bike show last year

EDIT
    Watch out for the suicide gearbox with the shift on the right on early bikes - I hardly ever rode a Triumph Trophy I bought because it was a pain.

#4 Jez900ie, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. You'll not go far wrong with a triumph twin, I'm currently on my third. A BSA B40 350 might be worth looking at, it's a 350 single.
    Steve

5. 8A7F9DFF-0782-4064-90B4-CDAA0598C5D0.jpeg I’d love one of these though I fear a little pricey:-(

• Like Like x 2
  6. I'd like one of those ^^^ but I'm not very good at growing beards and wearing lycra jeans

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don’t know a great deal about them really but what about an LE Velocette? I think you can find them quite cheaply still. A bit different maybe?

8. But he said British. The new Brough Superior is a French bike, made near Toulouse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Different yes. But also dog-slow even by 1950's standards.

10. And monkey butt ugly .. the mv dealer on upper Richmond Rd has one on show... 70 something k?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. They are extremely pretty.

12. i think there's a lot of brit bikes to choose from at that money in the market place:upyeah:

13. I'd go for the unbustable BSA M20 with its wonderful side valve. It's tick over is so slow you'd think it's stopped between beats

14. what one of these,if so very nice:upyeah: bsa-m20-motorcycle-AG4A47.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Yes there are, and from the glowing descriptions you would think they are all wonderful. But with 40 or 50 year old machines, even the nice ones will inevitably require a good deal of fixing up. With the ratty ones, you are in for a lot of work and many £000s. You would be very lucky indeed to find one genuinely ready to use without any fettling needed. Caveat emptor.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information