1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usable Classic Brit.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Gimlet, Apr 7, 2018.

1. My dad has got a few old bit bikes, all mint and used on a regular basis. Think he's got.
    Norton es2
    BSA A7
    BSA A10
    NORTON 750 commando.
    Triumph tiger 110
    Greeves two stroke?
    He's had a couple of Ajs/matchless but he's always found them a bit dull and uninspiring.
    Also got a couple of modern bikes and a monster 821.
    I don't know how he can ride one in the morning and a different one in the afternoon and swap from gearchange on different sides and some are also a different way up!!
    Anything you want to know I'll ask him.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Practice and experience, not every auld boy dreams of corduroy pyjamas and a comfy pipe. :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ruled out an AMC twin. Nice, but the singles are stronger and the Matchless G80 is the the prettier one.

If its a single it'll either be a Matchless G80 or an Aerial Red Hunter. I'd love a pre-war rigid 500 RH for looks but a 50's swinging arm model would be more practical. Or if it's a twin, a Beezer. A7/A10/A65 (if its had the oil mod).

4. Had a Norton model 50 for a number of years really nice bike reliable.and handled well , only sold to buy a Panther

5. I don't know whether you've been watching Henry and Sam in "Shed & Buried", but they have bought and fixed several British "classic" bikes over the course of the series. I don't think anything has cost them as much as £5K but they have needed varying amounts of work - A Trident T150 didn't need much doing but then they found a crack in the crankcase. One that appealed to me was an old Triumph Daytona 500 - I can't remember what they had to do to it, but I don't think it was a total engine rebuild. What I do remember is that they said it was really nice to ride once they had it running, and that's exactly what is often said about that bike - the smaller version of the parallel twin had a lot going for it. Good info here:

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/daytona05042700.html

Some of these were still being sold as New Old Stock in 1975 or maybe even later.

6. #46 900streetfighter, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Big if. Especially as it becomes a Norton in the description..

8. It's a 58 apparently. My bad!

9. I'd absolutely love a 1930's high pipe Ariel Red Hunter. But they're big money.
    [​IMG]

Norton ES2 is a good shout but I've always had a bit of a thing for Ariels.

A bit fuddy-duddy with their hemorrhoid cushion beige seats and fully enclosed chain but vintage engineering doesn't get much more solid. I really like this special. Not original. Covered in stainless fastenings and it appears the seat has been reshaped. But it looks very nice. Should be solid as a rock.
    [​IMG]

#50 Gimlet, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  10. This doesn't look a bad buy either, especially for a dealer and Bugad are a decent bunch. It won't be a wrong 'un.

http://www.bugad.com/bsa-a10-for-sale.htm

I'd still rather have a Red Hunter though..

11. You'll get an awful lot of BSA for £5k,even now.
    Best buy Imo,(although I would say it as I have three of them),is an A65,especially the maligned-by-some Oil-In-Frame/Conical Hub models.
    There is nothing wrong with OIF,and the front brake is fine when properly set up,nor are the bikes too tall for most.
    Get one that has been properly looked after and preferably,(but not necessarily) with a timing side bearing conversion by SRM/whatever.
    The main thing is that the sludge trap,(centrifugal filter thing in the crankshaft) has been taken out and replaced/cleaned and subsequent regular oil changes done.
    And I'd go for single carb too,(Thunderbolt),as twin carbs are a faff and there's hardly any performance advantage in normal use.
    The 500 is the smoothest motor,but the A65 is worth the extra tingle.
    Plenty of choice,and the BSA Owners club is one of,(if not the),largest Owners club in the world.
    Don't become addicted like me though,I've got 11 BSAs scattered about in various states of repair...*sigh*...

• Like Like x 4
  12. There were some very expensive but also quite a few bargains to be had at Stafford this weekend.
    Steve

13. I daren't go this year.
    I've promised her,no more bikes...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Still for sale :)

15. Could this possibly be a 3TA?

16. Aye but with a 500cc conversion.

17. I'm no expert,but were 3TA and 5TA bottom ends identical to all intents and purposes?
    An acquaintance used to race 500 Triumphs,and at least two of his bikes had motors built up on 350cc crankcases-I think he said that the smaller engines were more plentiful s/hand.

18. The bottom end was rebuilt by a local Yorkshire auld lad who's been doing them for years and knows his onions. It sounds lovely. I'd be quite tempted myself if I had room.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Talking of Triumph twins. I went to an open day at the local Triumph dealer on Saturday and had a test ride on the 1200 Thruxton R. Classic style, classic noise, looks like an Edward Turner Triumph, goes like a 21st century roadster and will presumably keep going for eons without leaks or rebuilds. Hmmmm...

And there was a bloke there who had one which he'd decatted, debaffled and remapped. Oooh dear me it did sound nice.

And I still love that damn Bobber thingie. 1930's Speed Twin vibe with modern day shove and handling. They are crafty buggers at Triumph..

#60 Gimlet, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information