1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used 939sp Or New 950

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Gizmo750, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Hi all,
    Possibly looking to get a Hypermotard to sit alongside my 848. I'm interested in peoples opinions of the choice between a 2017 939SP with one owner low miles (say approx 3,000) against a new 950. The price appears to be similar at about £10,500 or thereabouts.
    I do like the look of the 950 RVE version as something a little different to the norm but I'm not sure it is worth the additional over the basic bike.
    Any pointers, advice would be most welcome.

2. Someone posted here a week or so ago that they were disappointed with their new 950 because it was too well mannered, unlike his 939. If the 939 is similar money to a new 950, surely the owner of the sp is asking too much ? Andy

3. Sorry, not clear, 939sp or 950 basic version is the comparison

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have the 950sp. Originally I wanted to get the 950 standard version but after I began to look at the add ons that I wanted to put on the standard version, it became clear that the sp would suite me better.
    I will tell you that after test riding both, the SP is a much better ride and overall experience. Hard to explain, it is something I highly recommend to anyone thinking about both versions to test ride them.

The 939, nah no comparisons to either 950.
    Just the computerized dash where you can control everything on a fly is worth gold.

Good luck, it’s exciting making this kind of purchase.

5. Thanks, pretty much the conclusion I came to so I upped my budget - man maths at its best

6. This bike is really amazing. I can’t stay off of it, it just keeps calling me.
    It’s great from Highway commuting to canyons to just about any type of riding you like.
    I came from a motocross background, this is the main reason I got this style where it resembles the dirt bike.

It wants to wheelie in just about every gear, absolute beast of a bike.

#6 jose, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I am disappointed by the 939 SP, I spent about £17500 all in and my £5k 1100S is a better bike

8. What as the matter with the 939?

I find myself asking a similar question as the thread starter. 939sp vs 950na. So wouldn’t appreciate any feedback from someone who has had both (or even the 950 sp).

9. I ended up getting a 6 month old 950sp and I love it, its a total blast to ride

10. I bought a new 950 RVE. Best bike I’ve ever had, So much fun to ride and being able to control everything from the dash is great. I was torn between the RVE and the SP but couldn’t justify the extra £3.5k just for Ohlins. I love the styling of the RVE as well. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine! ✊

11. Thank god you said that CP012 as I ordered my new RVE yesterday and I was starting to get a little nervous reading the above comments.
    I've never seen or sat on one before and i'm buying solely on internet recommendations of it being one of the most fun bikes money can buy.
    Still not sure i've made the right decision but too late now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I was exactly the same. Never owned a Ducati, had seen a couple of the hypermotards around and about though. My last bike was a GS1200 Adventurer (which was way too early on in life for me) which I didn’t get on with, but knew I didn’t want anymore sports bikes. I watched and read every review I could find on the internet, ummed & arred for about 6 months before doing it. Like you, I couldn’t test ride it due to Covid so bought it on a whim. The first time rode it I was giggling in my helmet. Sooooo much fun!! The handling is effortless, riding position is great, and the U/D quickshifter is silky smooth. You can chill out on it if you want a steady ride, or you can ride it like you stole it (which is normally the way). It’s the best bike I’ve ridden hands down. I love it, hopefully you will as well

• Like Like x 1
  13. Very similar stories.
    Never owned a Ducati but always lusted after one,unfortunately due to a back injury sports bikes are a no no for me so I need something upright.
    My last bike was an Africa Twin which I also bought without trying but was a stupidly good offer,never got on with it and wasn't sad to see it gone.
    Coming from a MX/enduro background the Ducati seemed to fit my every need.
    I'm a little excited to say the least:)

• Like Like x 2
  14. There is something about the new SP I love but I have a 2014 ( I think ) Hyperstrada sitintg in the corner of the shed that hasn't been started for nearly 2 years. Quite why I fancy an SP I'm unsure , even with man maths !

• Like Like x 1
  15. My mate bought the SP at the same time and the difference in ride height is noticeable with the Ohlins shock. Even though it’s only something like 5-10mm I struggle to get a foot flat on the floor and I’m 6ft. Just like being on the GS again! I had to plan how I was going to stop and if it was negative camber I was screwed

16. With the SP being in Super duke territory I really couldn’t justify the extra cost for the Ohlins suspension,which,in all honesty I haven’t got the necessary skills to appreciate.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nor have I, but it is very pretty and it was a big birthday present so I pushed the boat out and the Ohlins are pretty. Seat height is up on the standard bike that I tested though which makes pushing it around whilst sat on it a bit challenging (I'm 5'10)

• Like Like x 1
  18. I have to admit I would of loved the SP,I really like the paint scheme but man maths wouldn’t have it.

On a side note has anyone tracked a Hypermotard,got a few friends going to Donny in June and seriously considering it.

19. I’ve not done it yet but I can imagine it being a lot fun. But it’s too pretty to risk throwing it down the hill at Craner Curves. The last two times I’ve ridden on track I’ve crashed

Do Not Sell My Personal Information