1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V2 V2

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by LOCKE, Dec 1, 2019.

1. I was out on Saturday, ambient was 17-20 degrees and the bike regularly got over 100 degrees in slower traffic, which I still think is a bit hot for it to run but whatever, I'm sure Ducati know best! Anyway, the heat insulation under the heat did seem to help, I could feel the heat but it was more noticeable from around the edge of the seat around the front by the rear cylinder, so it's definitely improved things as I can now isolate which areas the worst heat is coming from. Will try it again when it's hotter.

I have noticed my rear brake is almost non existent all of a sudden, seems to be since the day the bike was so hot. and the same for the clutch that seems to have a real dead spot in it now and then all the clutch movement 1-2cm out from the handlebar. I'll speak to the dealer and see if it's just a bit of a bleed needed which won't be too much drama.

2. interesting. I’ve been out and done about 300 miles over the last few days and haven’t found the stock seat too bad. But the heat that comes out of the sides does get up there. Again not unbearable but definitely on the hot side. Bike got up to 107 occasionally in traffic with ambient at 23 today but usually only makes it up to 104. Clutch and rear brake no issues. If anything the rear brake is crazy powerful. Haha much more than I’m used to!

3. Ive got air in the rear brake then if yours is strong. Will investigate

4. just about to bite on a V2. obviously doing as much research as i can but i havent ridden one yet.

would you guys say its much better to 'ride' than 899/959 and worth the extra pennies?

5. I’ve had both the 899 and 959 and now have the V2. As they say in the athletics world it’s all about “marginal gains”.

The things that are different/better between the V2 and the 959 (and the 959 vs 899) are, in isolation, very small. BUT when you add them all together in the package they do make a significant difference to the handling and performance. IMO of course ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well I've just put a deposit down on a V2

• Like Like x 3
  7. Yayy!!!

8. ET is the front m/c - or pads different between the V2 and 899.
    It’s one of the things that bugs me on my 899; as in its pants.

9. From m/c is a brembo unit on the v2. Can’t comment if the callipers are different, just know they’re brembo units too.

10. Original brake master cylinder part number for 899/959 was: 62440861a
    That was replaced by 62440862a
    And for the V2 it’s 62440861b

I vaguely remember reading about a revision on the 959 - the new part number may indicate a further revision on the V2?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I’m being thick here.......m/c?

12. Master cylinder I’m guessing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The V2 still has that slightly 'dead' ABS feel but the power seems a lot better once you get into the brake, and honestly I don't have an issue with mine. I did used to think the 899 felt wooden, not so much with the V2, but pads could also be slightly different compound.

I've spent more time riding mine now, up to nearly 2k miles, the heat is still bothering me, I can't lie, I've had quite a few Ducati's now and this is by far the worst, so much so it just boiled the fluid in my rear brake, so now it doesn't work.

I prefer it to the 899, it's higher and feels a bit lighter on it's feet, which it isn't on the scales but just feels it, the 899 feels long and low in comparison but still a great bike. I think with the 959 being halfway between in terms of swingarm position etc I don't think I could feel the difference between the 959 and my bike

14. The height difference does make it feel sharper than the 959. You’d certainly be able to tell the difference.

15. Do any of you guys know if the rear seat cowl for the 959/899/1199/1299 will fit the V2? Found some good deals and they look pretty damn similar - just curious if they are actually the same? Anyone tried?

16. Having had the 899, 959 and now the V2 I don’t think they are compatible but I’d check with your dealer

• Like Like x 1
  17. no definitely not

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. A few updates for you (those who are interested).

I’ve had more issues, none huge but as we have been in Covid and only done 2k miles, I’ve only got warranty until Feb so starting to get frustrating.

I’ve had new right hand switchgear as my starter button failed. And now my auto headlights have failed, the dealers suspects it need a new headlight under warranty. Again, issues that can hopefully be resolved under warranty but I’ve had a few now on top of the initial issues with wiring caused by the dodgy fitment of the Biketrac by the supplying Ducati dealer.

On a positive, I’ve removed the lower Evotech radiator guard and it does seems to have lowered the average running temp bu a few degrees, doesn’t seem huge but in slow moving traffic with low air flow it ‘seems’ to be able stop the temps racing up like they did. It was 23 degrees on Saturday and only just got over 100 when I got home, previously as soon as I got into the first few sets of traffic lights it would be up there

19. I decided yesterday (or, thought that I did) that my "reward" bike would be the V2. Weight-wise it seems fine and I called Ducati Worcester and they have a demonstrator. Although I can't ride it at the moment (no license and leg too fecked) I could sit on it and try for size. And then I start reading about the heat issues. The Ducati seemed a good bet as there was nothing that I would need to change and the last thing that I want to start doing is fecking about with it. But I've ridden Ducati v-twins for years and never-ever noticed any heat issue and I've been to some hot countries on them!

The impression that I have so far, in reading above is that the problem might of been worsened, or even created, by having to meet Euro 5 crap. If that was the case, then getting some dealer to remap it (whilst keeping everything else standard) should help. I don't object to doing that and I don't consider it Ducati's fault that they have to deal with this nonsense.

Am I on the right track? Change and fit nothing and just get it remapped so that it runs cooler?

20. I was speaking to Wilf at MotoRapido when I was there a few weeks ago for yet another warranty claim (new headlight unit required), he said it's Euro5 that's made the difference, and that even if I put the termi kit on it's still going to run really hot. He said you'll notice that cars are increasingly not having temperature gauges because they don't want you to see how hot they are running these days for emissions....

I've just been out to run some errands on the MV F3 I swapped it for, it got warm but totally manageable pottering around, I just couldn't do this on the V2, I'm really gutted it just didn't work out for me.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information