1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 V4 Multistrada

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Steviegtr, Mar 4, 2018.

1. My pleasure John.
    I had a go on a V4 a couple of weeks ago at the OYB Ducati roadshow. What a marvellous engine, IMHO it would be epic in a Multi.
    Interesting that dealers are taking deposits. Sounds a bit like the scam Porsche dealers were running before a new GT2/GT3/Spyder was announced. Money in the bank for them - happy days !

2. I don't think Ducati (or any manufacturers) usually see the deposits, its the dealers just allowing customers to secure a confirmed spot on their order list for a refundable fee.
    I think from the dealers point of view its handy to have an indication of commitment to new bikes, as it helps them set their order schedule, and maybe manage delivery expectations of new customers.

Not so sure about cars, but I still don't think any money changes hands between dealer and manufacturer (unless you order direct). The big difference is the manufacturer of the car is likely to have the end customers details which is recorded (at least in part) on the build sheet.
    This is certainly the case we've had with new cars. At time of order or very soon afterwards you get a vin number and build slot. I've never had that with a new bike.
    This is partly to stop dealers ordering new model cars for stock and selling over new price (something porsche and bmw dealers used to do regularly - the trick now is to order cars in family members names, alegedly ;)).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. There won't be a V4 Multi til 2021 at the earliest, if at all.

I suspect cost would be an issue as V4 engines are very expensive to produce.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. But if more models use the V4 wont the cost per engine unit decrease slightly? I know where not talking in the same volume as cars etc but just wondered if it makes a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Double the number of Pistons, rods, valves, cylinder heads? Can't see it myself. Ducati have admitted its an expensive engine to make.

They are also quite heavy on fuel.

Can't see there being a V4 Multi for under £20k personally.

6. If the V4 went into a multi then it would be retuned for bottom end grunt, I don't tjink he style of bike demands 200+ bhp, as a result good economy would be a by product.

Cost of producing the v4 for a multi; well they are already tooled up for the block and economy of scale should bring costs down. So what % of total cost of bike would would be extra in the engine.

Because of the popularity of adventure bikes I wouldn't rule it out.

TB

7. I reckon if they did it, it might have the Audi technology that takes the engine down to 2 cylinders when 4 are not needed, if that is possible in a V4.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. The current Multi is a great sport touring bike. However and notwithstanding my previous post, a V4 sport tourer may eventually happen. Be that a V4 Multistrada or perhaps a bigger SuperSport V4. For on & off roads, the Multi Enduro fills the gap. The current Pikes Peak is as close to a Sportbike as you can get while still having the capacity to tour and ride two-up comfortably.
    PS. I just can't get rid of the OEM tires fast enough.
    pikes peak unveiling.jpg

#70 DarR, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  9. Wasn’t the Aprillia Capanord thing a v4?

10. It was a twin wasn’t it?

11. I’m surprised Aprilia haven’t made a v4 one tho, as they have had the engine for, what, 10 years nearly now??

12. Aprillia would need to massively improve fuel consumption on their V4 to use it in a tourer. Or massively increase the size of the fuel tank!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yep a twin.

14. Cannot believe this thread still getting posts. I only started it as a joke. But hey you never know. They might even do a Multistrada R.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. My first sports tourer back in 2002 was a v4. Vfr800.
    Honda can and do make a reliable, fuel efficient v4 in both 800 and 1200, so it can be done. Just a shame they have bugger all character and bland to ride (imo).

If the v4 multi doesn't materialise for a while it's not a problem. I like what I have anyway. Just a bit of chasing what could be :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Yes, but… …I’d rather pay £23-24k for a v4 multi than £21k for the current Pike’s Peak.

17. How many others can afford to though?

18. I can't see a V4 Multi being over 20K unless you putting a full system on it, it might go over 20k if you fully load it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information