1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Quality Issue Engine Sump Casing Material

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Tony H. V4, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Agreed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. It looks like hell, so I'd be giving Ducati some in return if they don't agree & resolve it immediately.

3. Not doubting your word at all Tony H but that looks like it’s done a lot of miles on salty roads?
    Even the flange around the exhaust to the right hand side looks as rusty as F !!

My 899 is coming up for 26,000 miles and it’s as clean as a whistle, ok most of it is covered by fairing but there’s nothing anywhere near as bad as that on all of the bike.

As far as your engine casing goes, in my working life I was New project tooling manager for a few consumer manufacturing companies and bought and developed quite a lot of die casting tools, with my troubleshooting head on it looks as though it could be one of three problems with the production of this casting

A short shot - this is when the cast part is not fully filled in the die during initial production, basically the full amount of Aluminium has not been forced into the die and this area was the last to fill and has not been fully made up, However it has been painted over at one stage so something has been there and then dropped off so it’s probably not this.

More likely to be porosity, this happens once again when the die is initially filled with molten aluminium, the Aluminium is flowing at about 780 deg c and gives off gases that need to be vented out of the tool through tiny ( 3-4 thou ) vents ground in at the extremities of the fill pattern, ie the last places the aluminium will reach, these vents can easily become clogged and not do their job and you get an effect a bit like when you put your thumb on the end of a bike pump,... you can’t release the gas so that area doesn’t fill as good, the grain structure of the material in that area becomes a bit like an Aero chocolate bar and therefore is not as strong and likely to break or crack.

Also if said vents are not cleaned on a regular basis they can leave a kind of ash deposit at that area that the casting will pick up, looks like a full casting once it’s painted but mechanical strength wise it’s no where near.
    Definitely a problem with the original casting, but as I said earlier that exhaust header looks really rusty for the mileage you’ve done on the bike, makes me wonder about where it was stored after manufacture and shipping?

Go back to your dealer and give them hell, very disappointing considering what you’ve paid for the bike, good luck mate

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Thanks for the info. I also think there is an issue with the casting/material

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. For reference I took a photo of mine today when I was under the bike. 2019 bike that’s done 4100 miles, mostly on track in the dry but has seen the odd shower on the road.
    The grey is a small amount of sealant after changing the filter, not missing material.

2DEBC666-A848-4D91-A4A7-89C3E858071A.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I'd expect better from a chinese ebay special

8. My 2013 my multi did the same. Used in winter, washed and left I’m garage. Condensation and fs360 or whatever that shite is called didnt stop massively flaking off. Ducati replaced

9. Morning all, an update. Ducati UK have agreed to replace sump and all associated parts. No real feedback provided other than it is an exposed area of the bike...... no sh1t Sherlock!

• Like Like x 7
  10. Good to hear that they have done the right thing for you, hope it all works out satisfactory :upyeah:

11. That's great news so all your in for moneywise is the labour charge with your dealer.

12. Warranty claim agreed so no labour charge. Why would you think that

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I had something carried out on a bike which was outside the warranty time frame but the agreement was that i paid the labour charge.

14. FF97C8A9-2B4B-49A8-8FB0-5011096CDA0A.jpeg D6DEFC7F-8B72-4F4A-8ACE-C50F75150546.jpeg 01AF7ABC-9D2C-48D8-A3C6-54AC4D687316.jpeg 8E795B47-2CEE-4F15-BD52-12C79CE65B50.jpeg Mines done the same, have logged it with the dealer who are putting it to Ducati.
    Hopefully they’ll replace under warranty.

15. Why do manufacturers fail to do these parts properly?
    It’s a bloody bike with exposed areas that will live in a tough wet/dry:salty- hot environment.
    Boils my piss when you have to ‘raise’ a case with dealer etc.
    Stop spending twit money on radar and leaning ABS and make basic parts out of proper stuff you cheap skates.
    (Rant over; been a crap week).

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Looks as though most of the corrosion seen has probably been caused by initial impact damage from debris thrown up from the front wheel or directly from the road, as opposed to the sump casing simply falling apart. A large enough rock can do a lot of damage when propelled towards the surface of a casting at high velocity. Certainly enough to expose the underlying material, opening the door to invite corosion in.

17. Hi Tony - my dealer (p&H) have said Ducati have refused the claim, did you say Ducati Manchester honoured yours?

18. Yes Ducati Manchester agreed but I went through Moto Rapido in Winchester to get it replaced. They had to apply to Ducati UK themselves as they were going to do the work. They did get agreement to replace.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information