1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Quality Issue Engine Sump Casing Material

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Tony H. V4, Mar 21, 2021.

1. I also bought a sump guard from evotech!

2. Thanks. I bought the bike through DMC (though live in West Sussex) so may go back to them.
    Appreciate you replying.

3. I just bought a Streetfighter V4S second hand and looks like a similar thing might be happening to mine, although it doesn't look as bad as the other two posts. Feels like corrosion but it might just be chipping. Never had anything like this on the bottom of other (non Ducati) bikes I've had, I have to say.

Wondering whether to contact the dealer about this, it was registered December 2020, so I'm guessing there's still some warranty left? Also will be getting that Evotec sump guard I think .
    image1 (9).jpeg image0 (20).jpeg

4. @outintheopen did you ever get yours replaced? Seems mine looks most similar to yours but not as bad. If they didn't honour yours there's not much hope for this.

5. Nope, Ducati wouldn’t replace it citing road debris as the cause?
    I’ve put an evotech cover on it now so it can’t be seen.

6. @phaderus44 tbh that just looks like normal wear and tear to me, it’s amazing how the undersides of bikes get grit blasted from the road chippings, I’ve also got an old BM with a centre stand and the bar across the stand takes a right beating from road chippings, I’ve re powder coated it about 4 times and it still blasts it off.
    In the finish I made a skid plate to cover the front of the stand and that now takes the blast.
    How many miles has the bike done?
    As I say, to me it’s just normal wear and tear and not a problem with the casting like the original OP had.
    Get the Evotech protector and your sorted.

7. Both my panigales did this.

both got sorted by the stealership

8. @outintheopen @Poucher Thanks! Yeah I think this is probably mostly road debris looking at it again. It's chipping / flaking of the top layer of paint, not bad corrosion like the OP.

Bike's done 3800 miles, so not loads, but he may have just ridden on a gritty road a couple of times. Previous owner lived out in Essex, so probably blasting country lanes on it

Unfortunately Evotec sump protectors look to be out of stock, so I guess I'll have to wait

9. Think there are copies out now, maybe try eBay/Amazon/aliexpress
    Pretty sure I’ve seen them, just can’t recall where…

10. Do you have any off cuts of PPF for the interim?

11. Actually I do, that's a good idea. Not sure how hot it gets there but worth a shot

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yep, just contacted him, he told me he didn't have any either, despite being listed :confused:

13. I have the same on my 2020 6500mile streetfighter v4s. I was looking into buying a new oil pan but may contact my dealer about a replacement as mine is in a terrible state. I was going to try and source one as I had caught mine and its got a very faint crack line in it. It wasn't until I took it off that I realised its perished anyway. Still holds oil with no leaks though.

20220601_200701.jpg

20220601_200530.jpg

20220601_200834.jpg

20220601_200652.jpg

• WTF WTF x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. That’s terrible!

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Best place for those photos is the Ducati email inbox! Looks like a casting issue to me that's possibly exacerbated by some corrosion. If it's had an easy, salt-free life it's customer-complaint time. Even if it's just had 'normal' use it's not fit for purpose!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. My God .....that's awful ...

17. Bloody hell, that’s terrible.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information