1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 V4 Sp

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Gareth Elliott, May 13, 2021.

1. We do like a carbon rim:po_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Get to any track day and the new V4's will usually be ridden as if they are worth a lot to fix, which they are. An SP is unlikely to be ridden as hard as a cheaper inline 4. Guinters vblog showing his gixxers transition to track bike by the addition of Ohlins etc shows that you dont need to spend a fortune to get a very fast bike if that's what you want. In fact most people will be quicker on a gixxer or an R1 truth be told.

A lot of these youtube reviews are wankfests, think about it for a moment. In this forum group (Ducati enthusiasts) who is going to bag the V4? Groups of people (journo's) have a certain culture of preferences, skill level, age, agenda's and so forth.

The SP is no doubt an extremely nice bike, but Ducati owners are total suckers for paintjob parts bin specials and the standard upgrades (pipes, wheels etc) whether they can appreciate and use them or not. In most Ducati riding groups there is more grey hair than at Father Ted's bingo night, but they do have money. Hence the ooh and ahh over carbon wheels and dry clutches as the old farts try to outdo each other with their chequebooks.

Some people buy these bike just as status symbols, lounge ornaments or cafe cruisers, that's fine too. You dont get points for being a maniac, but its rewarding to see the owner of a race bred bike treating it like one. For my money I would just get a base model and add suspension, remove some weight and have 99% of an SP for half the price.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. How do your arms work with such a big chip on your shoulders?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. A lot of truth in this. Guilty as charged with grey hair and spunking thousands on my V4S to the point I almost daren’t ride it….

Got a track day booked at donington next month. Not ridden it for ages, can’t wait!!

5. And bitter and twisted as well it would seem :joy: Andy

6. Ol' bitter and twisted me with weak arms :joy: come on chaps you can do better!

I like my Ducati a lot, I'm loyal but not tribal. I know a number of RSV4, R1 and Gixxer track riders who rate them above their previous Ducati's for different reasons, despite that those machines are not my cup of tea. The point is that when a bunch of guys post a "review" vid I also take it with a big grain of salt. I've ridden enough bikes to know that at the level they are discussing its a matter of personal preference and setup. Look at MotoGP, how long it takes for a rider to sort out a new bike. The moral of the story is there is no best bike except the one you love riding the most, which in my case is a shiny red Ducati.

7. Stop digging mate. The casual insults about my age, the colour of my hair, the way I ride and what I choose to spend my disposable income on in your post are rude and dismissive whatever you thought you were trying to say. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I bought a 1299, and posted I was expecting more torque, and it isn't as quite as fast as I was expecting. Some forum members are still sniping on my unrelated posts. TBH I don't give a toss, ultimately I bought it because it looks and sounds nice, and it's fast enough for the road.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Absolutely, it's all about what makes you happy. Personally after riding the V4 and 1299 a few times back to back, I prefer the feeling of the twin. The V4 is definitely a better "machine" it's faster at the top end, smoother and the electronics/handling is more refined. I just prefer the twin for the aesthetics and rawness. In real life on the road there isn't much difference between all the litrebikes, and anyway if you explore the limits on public highways it may not end well. It is ridiculously easy to to hit 280 even on the twin, but time and tech move on so there's no doubt that the future will hold a new V4 for me when this one wears out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. still not sure what lack of Torque your mean, my 1299 has 135nm with 189ps at the back wheel, you should have a play with the DWC and DTC settings as it may be cutting into your Fun zone..

CE060151-09B2-4769-9BEA-B11D5378A10F.jpeg

11. This I agree with (In Bold), but in your previous post you belittle people and their choices, which just made you look jealous, critical and mean spirited, different people enjoy different things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. You are entitled to your opinion, I dont get into ad hominem's on forums as the format is unforgiving for some participants. If you feel attacked, re-read what I said, I dont have anything against you personally I dont even know you!! But I do stand by my observations of "ducatista" (what is that?) and youtube opinionfests. Being old and grey isnt a sin, Ive been a Ducati fan since the 450 Desmo I rode in the 70's and various pantahs and bevels in the 80's so I aint no spring chicken. I didnt come here to rain on the SP parade either, its a great bike but its not special in the way the SL is, you could build a similar spec from a base model for similar or even less money. Some people prefer to buy ready made and some like DIY.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I'd like to think you'll take the scenic route to Applecross, wouldn't be my first choice to go over the top on, was there last week thick fog up top (like every time I've been up there).

14. I was referring to under 5k revs, though you're right I probably do need to play with the settings. On my BMW I ran it in slick mode for 11k miles, I think the settings on my 1299 are all in the mid range. I'll try turning them right down. I doubt I'm getting the best out of it anyway, I've never ridden a 4 stroke twin before.

15. Try the wheelie control first. Thats probably the most limiting if turned up high.

16. I like wheelies :). My 99 R1 was the best wheelie bike I've owned.

17. Bike spent a while at the detailers trying to get the ppf to stick. Seems either the matte paint is an issue or the dealer sprayed something on it. Anyway finally got it back today and fitted some of the missing bits that were on back order. Now finally to get out on it tomorrow.

2F7CF205-8555-4189-8C6D-EF2B251BFFF4.jpeg

8B1205F7-14F3-414B-973E-B22AB6EF07C5.jpeg

471A4111-72CA-4F79-941D-7702B116BEEA.jpeg

0D431FA3-DC9E-4369-BB38-FEA60E6193D7.jpeg

7F4DE964-010E-403B-877B-496A4522B4A8.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  18. Have you seen "Jeer At Campeasy's" Youtube videos on the SP? Aside from him touting his girlfriend in front of the camera and watching "Dado" (the Italian for "Nut") do all the hard work, difficult to say what it is he actually brings to the table. I can think of two things but neither belong to him!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Is there a bike in those vids?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information