1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4r Insurance !!!!!

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Supersport63, Jul 19, 2019.

1. I used to race 600’s at club level years ago !! Had 10 years off and only started doing track days again 2 years ago. I did my road licence thinking it would keep me away from the track but it’s had the opposite effect !!! I’m ok I don’t set the world alight I managed to 1.48 -1.49’s round Almeria on the V4s first outing !!

The back just kept tying it’s self in knots every time you tapped the power on it was like a bucking bronco !! Tried a few things but didn’t make it any better and destroyed a load of tyres !! The front was pretty good to be fair when it was in manual but the back shock needs putting in the bin .

I had my mate who’s won BSB super stock tried it and he complained the same even though he was still 6 seconds a lap quicker lol .

That’s how I justified it to my misses but apparently a new kitchen is still more important!!! I tried the old you can’t race a kitchen but apparently that’s not a justification !!! Haha

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. hmmm doesn't surprise me.....made the mistake of letting my bike insurance lapse two years. Having ridden and bike since I was 16...fizzy...I am 60 next month. I was going to buy a panny R so thought just check on the insurance 3k per year, Cheshire based garaged no claims ever bike none on the for over 6yrs car and I was quoted 2.5k by Bennets…..MCE was still over a grand and no one will do TPFT below a bike worth over 10k.....unreal taking the piss, now looking at 1199 or a special 1098s so I can state below 10k..ish.....999 127 tpft at the mo.....I was stunned....bear in mind I'm taking the risk with what its worth, I can cause the same mayhem on bike worth fuck all so doesn't make much sense other than the usual insurance company rip offs......

• Like Like x 1
  3. My bro bought an R1, London based, garaged and tagged, 20 odd years ncb, first two companies wouldn't quote, third quoted 4k reckoning it would get nicked on average every 5 years.
    He'd been riding a Pani prior to that with a sub 400 insurance
    Go figure ‍♂️

• Like Like x 1
  4. Always gao fully comp ime as it’s a wider pot of panel insurers and better deals. Tpft and tpo are lesser so: often bad driving history.

I have never had a quote for tpft that was cheaper than comp

• Like Like x 1
  5. Are you on the Pirellis still? I had the same problem with my 1199R along with pretty much everyone else I know who tracks one at a decent speed and the V4S and R seem to be very similar. The soft carcass of the tyre collapses and the bike doesn't like it. You can try lifting the ride height or changing the pivot point but nothing really fixes it satisfactorily. If you change to the Dunlop KR106/8 it was like taking a fix everything pill. You could argue that the tyres shouldn't be doing the suspension job and all that stuff but imo it just doesn't work very well on the Pirelli.

Many people like the Bridgestone V02 as well but I only liked the front which is excellent. You need good drive off the rear to stop it from understeering and the V02 doesn't do that for me. The Dunlop was the only one that really makes the bike feel good for me.

All of this was only an issue with the R. I had two 1199S before that and was perfectly happy on the Pirellis even riding most of the time with the electronics off. The only issue was they dropped off badly after half a day or so but the newer ones dont do that so bad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm running a V4S on track, same pace as you in Almeria. And yeah, the rear end gets a bit out of shape on the gas. Particularly if you hook another gear at (moderate) lean on the gas... The unload/load seems to kick off a ripple effect. I haven't touched it yet from factory but I will be next week. How heavy are you? I'm ~86kg plus kit.

7. I'm going to get mine looked at by 100% suspension at Donington on Thursday. Not ridden it on track but may as well start with it being something like, especially reading some of the comments about them! Happy to share any info I get.
    Not looking forward to 33 degrees though...!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yes run Pirelli’s because I get them really really cheap and to be honest that’s the only reason . My mates trying trying to get me on Dunlop’s but I can’t justify the cost the way it destroys them !! The last time I went to Almeria I did 5 rear tyres in 5 days !! Most down to the suspension and trying to play about getting it to work !!! I will try both on the R and see how we go my mate who is about 3 to 4 seconds quicker gets a good day and half out of a Dunlop rear !!

9. Nice one. Let us know what Mr 100% says.

Aye, 33deg C is a bit Betty Swallox. I’m in tropical Africa and it’s only 29. Horribly humid though....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hmm couldn’t say how heavy I am in Kg but I’m 12 stone dripping wet !! Although my tech air suit probably ways the same lol !!!

11. 12st is a good bit lighter than me. I’ve got the tech air suit too and yeah, it’s bastard heavy!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. They are shocking aren’t they haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I'm sorry

5 tyres in 5 days?! :scream:

14. I expect a Rear a day to be fair maybe a couple of sessions the next day !!

15. May be worth trying Bridgestones those V2 ones

16. My k5 1000 would destroy a new Pirelli rear (proper slick not the Pro one) in a morning in Spain if I was a bit ham fisted. Wore it out. Luckily I managed to get scrubs with very few laps for a good price so a tyre a day wasn’t that bad!! Front would last forever

17. Will do.
    Although then the other part of me is now thinking let the bike do it's thing and see how it goes.....hmm...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Almeria is quite savage on tyres. I usually aim for a day and half, if I'm lucky. Andalusia (next door) is the opposite. Tyres last ages. Trouble is most people, including me, prefer Almeria :):upyeah:

• WTF WTF x 1
  19. Do the morning sessions and see how it goes. It's not likely to hinder you unless you're really pushing on. I'm doing Donington on the 6th August and if Mr 100% is there I'll definitely go and see him :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  20. IME let the bike do its thing...most of the time ;) It will sort itself out, its just other you have time between corners to let it do that. If its going forward, and not sideways, all good :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information