1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4r V 25th Anniversary 916

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by JohnnySea, May 20, 2020.

1. Outintheopen, thanks for this. I just messaged Daz to let him know I'll take the bike so as of some time next week I should the proud new owner of an R. How are you getting on with the Corse?

• Like Like x 3
  2. good lord those wheels look incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. That’s great news! Lovely toy you’ve bought there, would love one myself.
    50/50 on the Corse, I’m still undecided on that or the SF. Thing with the SF is I’d have to have it painted/wrapped as it looks crap Red, the Carlin Dunne prototype looked the dogs then Ducati launched it like a Model-T :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. Why do you feel your V4S has/is/will continue to depreciate?

5. It’s a sure thing, supply and demand. I think the more interesting question is why would you think it won’t?

6. The depreciation on your S will be slowing and start to steady off, buying another brand new bike is just going to drop a shed load of cash initially as you’ve found with your current. However you’ll be paying a higher price so more depreciation. They won’t hold money, that much is obvious.

If you want a new bike crack on and enjoy, but using depreciation as the reason just doesn’t stack up.

7. I think it will, but like all ducats, it'll git a price point and level out . May even start to creep up ,though this is uncertain.
    I think we may well hit a nasty recession, in which case all bets are off, even with the r, but fwiw, a v4r is what I'd have bought.
    I've been considering a V4S for ages, but my 1098 does all I need, so it'll have to be s price I can get my head around

8. Not so. Not all things depreciate and just because they cost more doesn’t mean they depreciate more.

The V4S is a moderate value, high volume bike. It will depreciate most in the first year but will more than likely continue to depreciate for a couple of decades before it hits rock bottom. As per most Ducati’s it may then begin to appreciate but this is not guaranteed.

The R I’m buying is a high value, low volume bike. For this reason the supply and demand characteristics are completely different. Take a look at any R model Ducati and you will see that they have retained their value far better than the vanilla models of the same bike.

A good example of this is my much maligned 749. It’s worth a few grand at best but if you want a 749 R it’s going to set you back £15,000.

Add to all of this that I got a £5,000 discount on the RRP of the V4R and I think you’ll find it depreciates far less and makes its way back up to the value it cost me far quicker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. If it's not a rude question, how much did you pay for a V4R?

10. I'd imagine it'd be considered rude if you were British but I'm Australian so... £29,995.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. The very fact you got £5k off says it all to me mate. They’re sat around in dealers with no one buying them. It’s a tiny market for people to spend that money on one, and at 3/4/5 years old there’s even less people willing to spend big money on a bike with no warranty.
    I was offered one in July last year when I bought my S, it’s still sat in the same place and never moved! Also the service requirements are far and away more than an S, that’s why I didn’t buy one.

I wish you all the best with it, but I think the cheapest route will be just to keep what you’ve got!

12. I’ve never got the “investment,depreciation thing” I got the V4r for the exact same reason I wanted a Johnny seven when I were a lad! I just really really wanted one so I sold what I could to be able to get one! I fully intend to ride it like I have with all my bikes and when I come to sell it it will be whatever it is! Not so long ago i threw a very expensive bike away down craners! Pain in the arse but is what it is! Just ride em! One life and it doesn’t last long!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. That’s the right way to be mate, enjoy it for what it is and worry about the value when you sell

• Like Like x 2
  14. What age was it and mileage?

15. 2019 69 reg with zero miles.

16. I guess the challenge with all of this is that we won’t know who is right for a few years yet.

History is a good indication of what will happen in the future and I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t bet on an R being worth considerably more than an S at any point in time.

But the beauty of motorbikes is that there’s a make and model to suit everyone’s tastes. I plan to fully enjoy my R. I hope you do the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. This is exactly what I have planned. Ride it as often as I can, maintain it impeccably and when it comes time to sell what will be will be.

#97 JohnnySea, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jaysus that's a great deal.
    The 2019 model is beautiful.
    Wear well with it.
    I think ,being bone idle, the servicing would put me off.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fair play mate, enjoy it

Do Not Sell My Personal Information