1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 V4s Build - From Start To Finish

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Topolino, Feb 20, 2020.

1. I have one on my rear brake on my 1200R, from bone dry system to fully bled took all of about 4 minutes, bloody marvellous! Worth every penny.

2. Any chance you could let me know the details for the valves? What sizes and where you bought them? I’d only need them for the calipers.

3. Here you go Joe. I bought them direct from Stahlbus in Germany. Postage was a little pricey and took a while due to "Brexit Delays" with UPS, but in total around 5 working days to the UK. Hope this helps. Link is here: www.stahlbus.de

Front Calipers (Brembo Stylema) - Model number: SB110311, Number Required: 2, Size: M8x1.25-16
    Rear Caliper - Model Number: SB110411, Number Required: 1, Size: M10x1.0-16
    Dust Caps (Colour choice is yours) - All the details are on their website

Well worth you changing the slave cylinder one as well IMHO (SB-130111-NA) - this is for the plain coloured version, it's also available in black I believe.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Good to know. Guess I will find out when I get home next week.

5. This build has been fantastic to watch via the posts, Not brave enough to strip my V4 down to thousands pieces like that. Really great info on part upgrades etc. Can't stop watching the build process (brilliant )

6. Legend thank you.

Can I ask why you recommend the slave cylinder one? My plan was just the fronts and then I can do a quick easy fluid flush for trackdays if ever needed. Or am I missing something because I’m an idiot?

7. If you are going to the trouble of changing out the bleed nipples on the calipers it seems to make sense to me to change out the slave cylinder one at the same time, given the stock slave cylinder often needs bleeding. It's cheaper if you order them all at the same time with respect to the postage anyway so ultimately its up to you. Personally if it makes life easier I'm all for it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ok I see where you’re coming from. I’ve not had to bleed the clutch though in 4K miles on track, should I have?!

9. Thanks Gizmo. I guess you do need a degree of confidence (madness) to go to the extents I have but ultimately its just a giant jigsaw puzzle which if you follow the workshop manual is really not that hard. A methodical and careful approach is all you need. I know my warranty is probably out the window but I have a very understanding dealer who have seen the results of my last three rebuilds, even suggesting my efforts would be better spent if I worked for them. Praise indeed! I'm not advocating this is for everyone but I'm happy to dispel the myth that you can't achieve something similar if you really want to.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hi Joe. Not necessarily. You might be lucky. I'd rather have the facility to speed bleed it than not

11. Very good point to be honest, like you say it makes sense. Will get them ordered, thanks for the help.

Assuming the clutch bleed is the same as the brakes in principal?

12. Yes exactly the same.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Thanks for the reply Topolino , the attention to detail and quality of your rebuild looks fantastic, makes me want to try a project (albeit on a smaller scale)

• Like Like x 1
  14. @Topolino
    Sorry if ive missed it but the flooring you have , can I ask who you bought it from please ?
    It looks pretty good quality in the pics and I need to redo my workshop .

Thanks

15. Another stint in Blackpool and what always seems like a fleeting few days at home. However managed to get a lot done this time around. Removed (for the last time) all the bodywork, including the fuel tank (which was stripped of all it's fittings, pipes, brackets, riveted and stuck on dual lock pads and cap) and dropped all the parts off at the paint shop. Spent a good couple of hours going through the design with them and ensuring we were both on the same page. Should be around three weeks until the preliminary work is complete. A few items need to be set "on the bike" so they are bringing over some of the parts after the intial colour is laid down, to check alignment between panels in situ. I also managed to drop of my seat which is being reupholstered wth a Tappezzerria Italia cover. The coachtrimmers I use are very reasonable and always deliver when it comes to the quality of their work. They had a ground up restoration of an old 1974 Porsche 911 while I was in the workshop. Stunning leather work. I also had to split the lower fairings, to get rid of the hideously cheap and nasty bellypan sections which are being replaced with LiebSpeed carbon ones. These are joined to the lower fairing by means of frequency welding at severals points. A little nerve racking but with patience not a problem.

Next up will be the Bonamici generator and clutch cover billet alloy guards and a few other billet alloy accessories and carbon parts to complete the build bar the bodwork.

Bodywork removed for the very last time, including tank, for a trip to the paintshop.

20210311_075004.jpg

In order to fit the Lieb Speed carbon lower fairing bellypan sections, meant drilling out and then prising clear the cheap and flimsy OEM sections first, which are frequency welded to the upper half. You only have to drill out enough material to see a hint of the red panel underneath, then it is just a case of levering the black section away at these points. A little dremelling afterwards to clear up the proud lumps left behind and the carbon panels are ready to fit once the red sections return from the paint shop. Fitting of the Lieb Speed panels will be covered at a later date.

Panel before splitting into two. Frequency welds hold the two sections together. Pretty woeful heat protection as standard.

20210311_065504.jpg

The two sections now separated. Now onto the other side.

20210311_070007.jpg

Sound deadening panels wil be removed prior to any paintwork. Here is the LiebSpeed battery cover. This will be unrecognizable in a few short weeks. After paintwork it is going back to Germany for Peter to fit the grilles.

20210310_205428.jpg

As always, sublime quality from LiebSpeed.

20210310_205435.jpg

#236 Topolino, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  16. One other late addition. DP lower chain guard. This will be clear coated prior to fitting.

20210312_191631.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Have you been able to buy from Lieb Speed recently? I placed an order and it had to be cancelled due to brexit concerns

18. Not recently, I bought all the parts from Peter some time ago. I did have some issues due to Brexit when I bought the Stahlbus bleeders from Germany a few weeks back however.

19. I’m awaiting some parts from Germany, what sort of issues if you don’t mind sharing?
    Thanks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information