1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 V4s Build - From Start To Finish

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Topolino, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Here you go:

[email protected]

or call: (+49) 7577 7664 (Mo - Fr. 9.00-11.30 a.m. and 1.00-5.00 p.m.)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Next on the list of jobs to do was to trial fit the new lower carbon belly panels from Peter Lieb. These have been patiently sitting in a box for the last two years.

20210704_174218.jpg

20210704_174817.jpg

20210704_174838.jpg

20210704_175213.jpg

20210704_175225.jpg

20210704_175229.jpg

The next stage is perhaps the most daunting which involves lining up the carbon panels with the lower fairings and securing them with masking tape, then drilling four holes in each fairing to accept the securing bolts. No margin for error here but thankfully the slots in the carbon panels line up with the correspondong tabs on the fairings, which make the process a little less nerve-wracking.

Every other hole in the panel needs to be drilled out in the fairing, the remaining tabs on the panels will be bonded to the fairings once they are permanently bolted in place.

20210704_182100.jpg

Here are the panels and fairings bolted together

20210704_185749.jpg

20210704_193529.jpg

The next stage is to bolt the two halves together to drill out the two remaining holes for the front of the panels and then fit the heat shielding.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Here are the two halves bolted together. This allows you to drill out the two forward holes for the remaining retaining bolts. In the second image you can see the nuts/bolts in place.

20210704_200123.jpg 20210704_200127.jpg

And viewed from the other side.

20210704_200031.jpg

20210704_200050.jpg

Next the panels are split again to apply the heat shielding, as per Peter Lieb's instructions.

20210704_202007.jpg

20210704_210330.jpg

If you look at the DP lower fairings that Ducati supply for the Akrapovic full system, you will note by comparison, that these panels come provided with a LOT more heat-shielding on them than their plastic counterparts.

20210704_210420.jpg

At this stage, the next step was to unbolt the carbon panels from the lower fairings, which are going back to the paintshop for their final modifications and will be reunited at a later date. In addition, the carbon panels will be having PPF film applied and the leading edges of the fairings (after paintwork) to protect against stone chips and I will also address bonding the non-drilled tabs of the carbon panels, once they are fitted for good. More on that in due course.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Tank and battery cover fitted for alignment checks by the painter, before they go back to the shop tomorrow for final paintwork to be done. I temporarily fitted the OEM upper side fairings to aid alignment. Incidentally these are for sale if anyone is interested, brand new. One small blemish on right hand side fairing (about 2mm across near Panigale logo), picked up during the house move two years ago but otherwise flawless.

20210707_120703.jpg 20210707_120631.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  5. Aarghhhhh. Painter is starting to test my patience. Bodywork delayed another week as he has been without power for the last two days. I was supposed to receive it all back today, instead it's not going to be ready now until next week and I'm off away again from Monday for another week at work, so not going to be in a position to fit it until the 2nd July onwards. I have ordered a 2021 version of the Evotech tail tidy, as it has a better integration of the number plate light and a slightly improved form, so if anyone is in the market for my existing one which is patently as good as new, let me know via PM.

• Love You Love You x 1
  6. No power? Is he working in a shed?

How can a professional business run without power for 2 days?

7. It doesn't is the simple answer, and how many businesses on small estates have back up power supplies ? Its not always in the business owners control.

8. I agree mate, but 2 days.... that's a lot of earnings lost, that's all I am saying.

9. It is, but if some numpty for instance has cut a cable up the road, it can happen, could happen to any of us ...

10. No it's a proper setup in a large industrial unit on a large estate. He has 3 phase but no mains bizarrely.

Power was supposed to be restored today. I very much doubt a generator would cope with a compressor/s, lighting, extraction fans etc., so he is very much at the mercy of the service provider. Not much he can do about it.

The thought had crossed my mind that someone had stuck a digger's bucket through a supply cable. Turns out they are wiring in some new units on the estate and inadvertently cut the power to some existing businesses. I'd be seeking a lost revenue claim, were it my livelihood.

11. So I decided to replace the Evotech tail tidy with.......an Evotech tail tidy. Reason being the updated version has a much less cumbersome integration of the number plate light (Evotech incorporate their own one now, instead of using the OEM part) and the whole form factor of the assembly is considerably smaller and lighter than the Mk1 version (though as a concession to weight, some parts of it, such as the indicator stalks/spacers are now plastic instead of aluminium). If anyone is interested I am selling the original version (which has not seen the light of day/road since fitting it and is therefore as new).

Even the packaging is smaller than the previous incarnation.

20210723_130901.jpg

Full kit laid out before assembly. Here you can see the supplied LED numberplate light. If I have one gripe it is that it doesn't come supplied with an OEM connector and you have to add on the additional lead (supplied in the kit) to make it compatible. There is a lot less room inside the casting to accommodate the wiring (unlike the older version), so this has to be tucked under the tail when you come to fit it to the bike.

20210723_131923.jpg

Havin connected the pig tail (supplied), I then heat shrank the connectors, before wrapping them in fabric tape (as used on the OEM loom on the bike)

20210723_162032.jpg

Fully assembled and ready to fit

20210723_162051.jpg

Just as a comparison, here is the original version.

20210723_132919.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. That new tail tidy lighting looks much neater.

Love this thread.........

13. Its like an Airfix model thread on steroids and a fatter wallet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Attention to detail is superb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. It fucking is! I once found a blokes pay packet that’d had 2 days off… :mad:

16. 10k on bits?

17. I dread to think what I’ve spent on my V4S. But it’s more than £10k. o_O

18. I echo your sentiments MH. I'm way too far down the rabbit hole to back out now, but I knew that almost from the get-go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. You cant take it with you Tops, but you can have a lot of fun building stuff. Its one of my complaints with modern bikes, I cant get my spanners out too much except for minor issues. I'd be having a ball doing what you are doing with yours.

20. It's been fun (for the most part) but a lot of things have conspired against me over the last 2 and a half years that have slowed down what was meant to be a 6 month project, into this unforeseen marathon. Whether I will actually get to ride it this year remains to be seen. I am changing jobs again in October, but I will at least be based back in Norfolk, so no long stints away hampering my progress. I am itching to get it finished now. Not too much left to do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information