1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 V4s Build - From Start To Finish

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Topolino, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Shark fin guard now clear coated. Matte be gone. This part is a little tricky to fit, as it requires a small hole to be drilled and tapped in the underside of the swing arm to accept one of the two fixing screws. The other fixing point (top left of the guard in this picture) utilizes the existing brake line P-clip bolt . Given this is a job that could easily go very wrong, say like snapping a hardened tap off in the swing arm! :-o, I am going to leave this one to my local guru Carl Harrison to fit. The rear wheel also needs to come off as well, so not a 5 minute job.

20210817_134102.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Good for you. Exactly what these machines were designed for after all. There's always a little trepidation MH, as with anything you have spent time and money on, in case you launch it down the road, but it is there to be ridden and it was never intended to be a garage queen, so at some point I just have to put those thoughts to one side, get out and enjoy it, which I am planning to do at the earliest opportunity. Much as I like looking at it, I really want to ride the damn thing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Incredible build, your attention to detail is outstanding. Love your garage/workshop too, if you can call it that!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. New tank dual-lock pad (one of 4 in total) riveted back on. This was done before the clear coat was applied (masked over pad) to ensure no damage to the final finish when the rivet was compressed.

240149799_263071398980961_4199169437214737372_n.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Nothing but admiration for your commitment and attention to detail of your work, as others have said - mightily impressive, especially as you then intend to go out and spank it.

btw, I did smile at protective wrapping layer in the photo, as if it's being used to protect the gloss carbon from the nasty, harsh, abrasive qualities of a soft fluffy towel ;)

6. Can't be too careful Snips!! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Have you had the insurance phone call question scenario yet?
    The one where they ask; ‘is your bike modified in any way from standard?’
    Would love to hear that reply:p:upyeah:

When I modified mine to sssa, carbon wheels etc etc they didn’t bat an eyelid. Which was a massive relief.

8. Haven't broached that subject yet. I did get a quote for my 1299S with an agreed value and it wasn't too eye watering, so hoping for the same with the V4.

• Like Like x 1
  9. at this rate u should just build
    A new bike awesome i hate to see shit my v2 is inside having lived in Italy I know the quality control depends on siesta time

11. Ducati should employ u

13. Would u like to work on my v2 ? No charge

14. Barely enough time to work on my own bike in between work commitments.

15. Has it fired up yet Rod?

16. Yes. A little hesitant at first. Initially I took the plugs out and turned it over a few times to circulate the oil, as the engine has been sitting for over two years without having run. Plugs back in (the front plugs are an utter PIA to replace). Also had to top up the oil (both before and after the engine was run) as the oil cooler was empty since I replaced it for the newer recall version during the build. Prodded the starter and after some coaxing, a couple of burps and a backfire or two of unspent fuel, it burst into life. Mostly spent the next few mins checking for oil and fluid leaks after it's rebuild and any other obvious issues but everything seemed fine. Bodywork aside I've got to have the Akra map loaded, software upgraded and the DMS module activated. Once the paint has had its minimum cure period of 30 days then its off to have the PPF kit fitted. After that then it's almost ready to ride bar a tank protector/s. Waiting on the battery cover to come back from Germany as I had to send it back to Peter Lieb post paintwork to have the locator posts and grilles fitted, which require it to go on a jig. The only issue that needs resolving is the shark fin guard from Ducati, which requires a small hole to be drilled and tapped into the underside of the swing arm, a job I am entrusting to Carl Harrison, as if done wrong or inaccurately will be a massive nightmare.

#336 Topolino, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Bike is booked in to have the full Xpel Ultimate PPF film kit fitted towards the end of next month. The company I am using (Auto Curators) have an excellent reputation, as even the best kits can be installed badly by so called experts, so I am a firm believer in word of mouth and seeing some of their previous work, before I committed. Any areas not protected will be ceramic coated and any minor imperfections or flaws in the paint will be corrected before the film is applied, though since the paintwork is new, these should be few and far between.

Since the paint was baked following each clear coat, it should not degass to any great extent and the longer I wait the better for it to totally cure. Some people advise anything from 30 days to 9 weeks but since the film is permeable, this should not be an issue, even if degassing continues for a short period. The carbon bellypan will be having some bespoke panels made up to protect from rocks/chips etc which will add to the cost but it still works out cheaper than a respray or reclearing panels.

I've already fitted 90% of the bodywork but once it's all back on the bike I will reveal all. Like I said the sheme is nothing radical and almost certainly similar to ones you've seen before on my previous projects but I would rather it's all buttoned up and complete before I do "remove the covers" which will take the form of some high res photos and a video (the editing of which is something I'm learning to get to grips with, so I'm certainly not in line for any cinematograghy awards anytime soon!)

#337 Topolino, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Good news all round that. I've been without my 899 hybrid for about 5 weeks and that was bad enough. Pick mine up from Seastar on Saturday with shiny new cams and followers in. Hoorah. Just in bloody time for crap weather :worried:

19. Glad you got it sorted. I fear that by the time mine is finished in about 6 weeks time, it'll be shite weather anyway. Also changing jobs next month to add to the mix, so not much free time to play with, as usual.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Outstanding work there Topo :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information