1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Varese Bikes - I Just Don't Get It - But I'm Coming Around

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 19, 2020.

1. That why I got mixed up :bucktooth:, I had heard there were no '94 916 Bips also and a quick Google didn't find mention of a single one :):upyeah:

2. Even the Elephants were in use long after 1996, I’ve a couple on my 99 748.

I’m sure someone who works in the motor industry can comment but I do wonder how many parts a manufacturer would order when rolling out a new vehicle. Obviously buying in bulk reduces costs/unit so would they order 1 years planned production, 3 months planned production, 3 years planned production. As said above I’ve a seat pad on mine that predates the bike by 4 years.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. My '96 M900 had elephants and a yellow hoop (apparently only on Varese bikes but still there in '96) :thinkingface: parts bin specials :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. The part cost would be fixed on yearly projections - but initial runs back before JIT would probably be 25% of the 1st year projected volume for pipe line and show room fill for launch and adjusted for ongoing demand. The issue with such factories back in the day was no FIFO with parts remaining at the back of a shelf sometimes for years while a flow of newer parts come in and out in front of them as in your seat unit example.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. I've no idea either how many parts they order in for a batch of 916 production. From what I understand Ducati didn't have a clue how popular and successful the 916 was going to be, and probably ordered batch quantities similar to a model like the 851 production needs to begin with 1993/4.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I have gone through your list just out of interest. I didn't have my bike from new so it's possible some parts are not original.

1 Vin number ZDM916S*003195*
    2 Sticker under seat not present
    3 ECU is 1.6M
    4 con rods, don't know
    5 fairing rivets, no I have bolts
    6 screen rivets, no, bolts with wellnuts
    7 steering damper rubbing, yes
    8 chain guard, don't know
    9 blue anodised fittings, no
    10 Ducati racing on wheel, yes
    11 Cagiva logo on a lot of parts, yes
    12 petrol tank, don't know
    13 non adjustable levers No, mine are adjustable
    14 single bolt clip one, yes
    15 40mm brake caliper, yes
    16 mirrors, mine are red
    17 airbox without bumps, don't know
    18 Airtubes, first type with wellnuts

My headlight bucket is date marked 93!

IMG_20200630_102500_5.jpg

IMG_20200630_102517_8.jpg

IMG_20200630_102524_9.jpg

IMG_20200630_102609_7.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. These photos should help establish these -

This is the early short chain guard -
    Is this the 94 length Chain Guard.jpg

With the petrol tanks I found the easy way to tell the difference is to measure across the flat area from the crease under the decal to the start of the radius on the outside edge of the tank, this is a later petrol tank -
    Ducati 916 Later Tank 08062019.jpg
    And this is the earlier tank (I don't know when they changed it) -
    Ducati 916 Early Tank 08062019 (2).jpg

And a direct comparison between the early and later 916 tanks -
    Ducati 916 Tank Comparison 08062019.jpg

Hope that helps, it's interesting that yours doesn't have the blue oil cooler fittings though, and the Workshop Manual info I posted earlier should help you establish if you have the correct levers (Edit - Looking at the Workshop Manual you should have the fixed clutch and front brake control levers).

Dec 2020 - Just adding the fairing and windscreen rivet and clip sizes -
    20200703_152739 (1).jpg

#187 Mike378, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Thank you for that, I don't have the original chain guard. The tank is the wider type as you suggested it should be. I posted this info more for everybody else than trying to find out for myself. I'm really not that fussed. I have no plans of selling the bike and the parts I have are what they are. I only paid £2700 for the bike so when I eventually sell it I should get my money back with some interest. Although my 9 year old daughter wants it so hopefully it stays in the family.

• Like Like x 5
  9. That's a brilliant attitude and what a bargain too, you've got an appreciating asset there, enjoy it!
    Also is your current chain guard an OEM Ducati one, i. E. the later and longer type ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. No I have a hugger on there and don't have the original chain guard.

11. so my 916 is ZDM916S005901 , so what the buggery does that make it ? yours terminally confused DS..... DSC_5724.JPG

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I’ve got many Ducati books and not seen a picture of a 916 with the elefant logo on the screen or rivets around the screen ( fairing rivets are well documented ) but werevobviously used as shown in my last post.

I also read somewhere bikes were coming out of Varese with adjustable and non adjustable levers, probably what they had lying around. My rivets were glued from the back and fairings dated June 1994.

Reading this does it suggest very very early 916’s were produced in Bologna before the fire ?

394219D6-401D-4EDD-85CD-59E4B9DBDAB2.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. ZDM = Manufacturer
    916 = Model
    S = Superbike
    005901 = Frame number
    If you email Ducati direct with your bike info, proof of ownership and some ID they tell you what they know.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. That makes yours a 916 Biposto with aftermarket hugger :p:D and very nice too :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Just co add to the confusion. I have yellow clocks. IMG_20200630_130811_6.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I thought yellow clocks were original on early 916 but you have a 'later' Ducati decal on your rev counter?

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Well they're for a UK or US spec bike being in Mph and F rather than Kmph and C but I'm guessing they're not original. Very nice looking though IMO:upyeah: - Ferrariesque

18. Red, 1995, Bolognese

19. You know more than I do! :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information