1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Varese Bikes - I Just Don't Get It - But I'm Coming Around

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Nothing to do with Varese Tax, it's a '94 model year tax :p and his listing is bollocks too!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. now now Exige play nice :joy:

3. It not even a ‘94 faring :bucktooth:

4. Is there a difference? Other than early/late decals

5. You've only just noticed.,...

6. That's the Ballsack fella

7. Yes, when they were made o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. He wants £2500 for the side fairings o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Very good :joy:

10. But.... but won't most 1995 bikes have 94 stamps somewhere as well?

I'll take a stab in the dark and say any Cagiva era bike will be desirable at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. I found some 93 stamped parts on my 95 bike.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yes, I'm very good at transferring dirt & oil from mechanical objects to myself, my clothing, furniture and all household surfaces......its just a gift I guess :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sorry for the necro, but my engine etc everything is covered in elephants and I'm curious as to when cagiva sold ducati. Is even my 97 a varese made bike? When did production etc move?

14. The « Varese episode » occurred in early 1994, when some portion of the Ducati assembly plant in Borgo burnt in a fire. To keep production going, they transferred the production to the Cagiva plant in Varese for a few months. This concerns only 2000 bikes or so, therefore 1994-1995 model year.

The Cagiva Elephant found on numerous parts of your SBK is not linked to it being assembled in Varese. My 1996 has them too but in 96, production had long been returned to Borgo.

TPG bought Ducati off Cagiva in September 1996. I would venture to say that Elephant labeled parts must have progressively disappeared along 1997 and the label design change occurred with the 1998 model.

1994-1997 = Cagiva « era » type logos:
    C5A127AA-1BC6-4A6B-94EA-C1BF17EC561D.jpeg

1998 and on
    C1F10DE1-5F69-48ED-9368-71EFD10FCADE.jpeg

#295 Guillaume69, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. this is a six million lire question, shrouded in mystery, open to interpretation and full of much controversy* although yours is late, so unlikely, some will argue impossible - just for starters, on your VIN number, do you have a V or a B preceding the last 6 digits?

*the latter might be along soon. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Neither it reads - ZDM916S*XXXXXX* followed underneath by DGMXXXXXXM. Engine - ZDM916W4*XXXXXX*

I'd never really noticed all the elephants before. Its on main engine casings, everything.

17. The « V » or « B » is only working with the US VIN system, so US bikes only.

Euro VIN system at that time had no mention of assembly plant location, if I am not mistaken. VIN only cannot tell if an early 916 was produced in Varese or Borgo. Only Ducati customer service in Bologna can, looking into their archives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. If you say the frame number then you can see if it is a strada or not.

Henk!!!

19. I didn't know bootsam's bike wasn't U.S. at this stage, but useful to many i'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information