1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Varese Bikes - I Just Don't Get It - But I'm Coming Around

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 19, 2020.

1. They’re interesting photographs of the early bikes. Note Massi’s red frame black wheels back in 93 only to turn up years later on the 999, way ahead of the game .

2. i was lucky enough to pick up my varese in November last year just before prices seemed to go through the roof. As other have already said first production, story behind them being built in varese, cagiva stamped parts, p8 ecu's etc all add to the story. collectors always look for what sets that particular model apart doesn't matter what you are collecting. they are a sub category of what is already a desirable bike

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. If you don’t get it about those varese bikes is because you don’t have one. :)
    Just like i don’t get it why they give alot of money for an R or superleggera,but i don’t have one of these so maybe that is why i don’t get it.
    It is like been said all ready,the first one off a model is always more sought after.
    It are the small differences that make them special sometimes.
    That one from tamburini has some really nice early racing parts on it as well.
    I have a ‘94 as well but not care about original,changed to much all ready to be collectable.

Henk!!!

#43 henk, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. @Chris 748SP I think the earlier the production number the better so if there are 2 bikes available and one has a really low prod no. then I would guess there’ll be more interest/demand for that one, so yes bike 97 would fetch more than bike 316. However, this assumes all other factors eg provenance, mileage, history, condition, originality etc were equal, which in the real world I doubt they would be.

@Mike378 I think you make a very good point. The 916 was a game changer for so many reasons and yes I do believe that 20 years or so from now they will be highly sought after.
    ps, are you the fella shipped his bike back from the US when moving back to UK? posted on here about it a good while back :thinkingface:

@henk you make a valid point (although IMO the premium for the Superleggera is in the cost of the materials amongst other factors such as rarity) and I’m coming round to seeing why the Varese models could, in the right circumstances command a premium.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Originality isn't always required with older sought after bikes - take for example the RD350LC - some of the modified Hybrid bikes are commanding more than the original specification bikes. It's a strange thing as an early modified Z1 would be way below the value of an original with all the correct parts.

There are often quirks with values, which is why it's hard to know the future, who'd have thought the white with red seat R1 would be the sought after one when everyone hated the red seat and bought blue versions at launch (or reluctantly bought a red one as blue ones were in short supply).

The strange thing with the 916 and it's derivatives is the later 998 bikes are worth more... and we are 17 years on from production ending.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. What about number 000916 ? :eyes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. That would be the ultimate one to have for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Were the 94 888s made in Varese then as well? Or did they manage to get them out the door before the fire?

#49 West Cork Paul, Jun 22, 2020
  10. Also, just coming back on @Chris 748SP ’s point about VIN numbers above (US v ROW) how can one tell if the bike was made in Varese? Just by the production number? So no.97 was but no.26XX gets a bit iffy?

11. I have a 1996 916S that was American spec and was diverted to the UK by Hoss Elm of Moto Cinelli, he went to the Factory and demanded delivery of some bikes, I believe 10 arrived. Midland Motorcycles of Northampton converted the lights and switches to uk spec otherwise it stayed as it arrived. Single seat, Ohlins shock, Pirelli Corsa Tyres

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. You mean a 1996 Strada.

All US market monopostos from '95 onwards got an Öhlins rear after someone complained about the Showa damping.

The 916 S was only made in 1994 (at Varese) and apart from the factory saying they made 199 of them, not a lot has been confirmed about their specs. Some say it had the SP frame but Strada motor... maybe Öhlins rear as well plus carbon airbox?

#52 TNR, Jun 22, 2020
  13. I’ve read that the 916S (199 of) were a euro SP with different cams in to meet the American emissions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. @ west cork Paul, initially using the vin for Varesse built models but as you say into the 2600+ then i believe it would be for Ducati to confirm.
    upload_2020-6-22_18-42-54.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  15. Hi Paul, yes Ducati is very much the Ferrari of motorcycles, and the providence and race pedigree of the entire 916 model range will make it Ducati's most collectable mass produced bike in the near future. It'll be the collectors/investors money that really decides the pecking order between the R's, SPS's, SP's, S's, Varese's etc. Still you've got to wonder how many of those first 2600 odd 916's are still in existence (I'd say much less than half given the sports status of this bike), then how many of those bikes left are original and have relatively low mileages and VIN numbers?
    I'm thinking of doing a 10 day auction soon to sell my bike, so we'll have an idea of what a 22k mile, 85 - 90% original, sub 700 VIN number bike is worth.

Regards the 'tells' on the Varese bikes I'm under the impression the only way to be sure is the 'V' in the 17 digit VIN code (1) or the Manufacturers decal under the seat stating month and year of manufacture (2), because as I understand it some 916 production returned to the Bologna factory around August of 1994, so not all 1994 916's are Varese bikes, if someone could confirm this I'd appreciate it?
    I also believe the following may be genuine Varese 'tells' as well -
    3) P8 ECU
    4) Pankl con rods
    5) Fairing Rivets
    6) Windscreen Rivets
    7) Steering damper rubbing on the petrol tank
    8) Shorter Chain Guard
    9) Blue anodised oil cooler pipe fittings

The Varese 'tells' I'm not so sure about are the following because some of these changes I suspect took place as late as when Cagiva sold Ducati to that Texas groups in 1996, so it may be possible that bikes with these 'tells' were made in Bologna, although every Varese bike should have these 'tells' too they may not be exclusive to the Varese bikes -
    1) 'Ducati Racing' embossed on the rear wheel hub.
    2) Cagiva Markings on any part including the windscreen.
    3) 916 Petrol tank wider and more sculptured.
    4) Non adjustable front brake and clutch levers.
    5) Single bolt clip-on handle bars.
    6) 40mm brake caliper mounting bolt hole center spacings.

It would be good to have some of this confirmed if anyone knows any more about it?

Edit - Just to add the following -
    7) Black coloured mirrors
    8) Airbox without internal 'bumps' near the hole for the rear cylinder velocity stack hole (see photo below with the early airbox on the right) -
    20200624_090106.jpg

#55 Mike378, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Here's my Varese baby showing the shorter chain guard -
    Ducati 916 1994.JPG

And the exclusive part to the California model is the fuel overflow canister located between the cylinders (the round black bit) -
    Ducati 916 Fuel Evaporator.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  17. Great looking bike @Mike378 :upyeah: and yes I agree with the Ferrari analogy.

If you are selling the bike IMO it would be worth you paying the £5 (or £15 first year only if you want the Halford's discount card, well worth it) to subscribe here and advertise the bike on here, I reckon you'll get better informed and more serious buyers on here than on eBay (if that's where you were thinking of). If it were me I might also look at one of the auction houses (Coy's, Bonhams, H&H). You'll find yourself dealing with a lot of tossers on eBay IME which you'll avoid if going down one of the routes above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bidding up to £8k now on eBay!

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. £8k with over a day left and needs plenty of love too, be interesting to see what it finishes at. There’ll be a nice hole burned into someone’s credit card just to trying to source some of the original parts it’s missing

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information