1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Varese Bikes - I Just Don't Get It - But I'm Coming Around

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 19, 2020.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  1. I think a few ebay sellers have been reading this thread and now added the word Varese to their advert, 2 weeks ago it was never mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. A bit like when we started the 'Nero' trend o_O

3. Apart from the fact the Varese bikes were hand built and used different parts to the later Bologna bikes.

Look, until you can come up with some evidence that the early Bologna bikes (1994 or later) are fetching the same money as the late Varese 916 bikes, it's just your opinion that the manufacturing plant does not affect the value.

4. You are wrong and you know it - just give up as it's getting silly :p

Is a 750SS or M900 worth more if built in Varese (both started production there) or any other Ducati for that matter - the answer is no.
    Have you found the correct fairings for yours yet or do you still have the 1996 ones fitted btw :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ha ha, very bitter and spiteful there Exige, now are you really sure your argument isn't based on some emotional issues rather than logic and facts, and isn't this just the same nasty snide behaviour you displayed (and later denied) earlier?

Anyway, for me, seeing some early Bologna 916's sold close to the prices that a later Varese 916's is selling for, is the only way to conclude if the manufacturing plant, assembly process and different parts do make a price difference.

As said, it would be very interesting if anyone knew when and at what VIN production number the Bologna 916 production restarted.

6. I really don't understand you :bucktooth: you is crazy :p I am made of Logic and Fact :yum: maybe re read the thread from the start, that might help? They built into 1995 at Cagiva.

Oh, and calm down again but do it this time :eyes:

7. Chill Mike, having just caught up on the past 2 pages :astonished: I think what he’s saying is it’s immaterial where the bike was made, it’s the fact they were the first ones out the door that count - take a look at the examples he gave for Z1s and CB750s. We’ll never know for sure either way as they weren’t made anywhere other than in the Cagiva plant that first year after the insurance job - sorry fire :D. He also raises a very valid point about the Monster - another game changer, a) it created the current naked bike genre, and b) it saved Ducati thanks to its popularity and uptake, yet no-one mentions any of the early ones of those being made in the Cagiva factory.

Finally, re the bikes being handmade in Varese, when I visited Bologna a couple of years back they all seemed hand made to me then, I didn’t see a single robot, I was surprised and impressed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. True, a ‘93 Monster is a ‘93. The only distinguishing feature from an early ‘94 is the yellow suspension hoop. A K registration shows it hit the road early, though others of that build date were held back to L reg.

9. Regards your logic and facts, you can't show me any Bologna 916's near Varese prices, and you don't even know when 916 production restarted at the Bologna plant to begin to make that comparison.

10. Yes I can and I have - your logic is illogical :):upyeah:

11. So production years run Oct to Sept (roughly) on the basis what starts in September/Oct isn’t going to be finished and in a dealer’s showroom until Jan at the earliest?

When exactly was the fire? Anyone know? It’s always talked about that 1994 production was moved so was this really Sept 93 to Sept 94 or when ? Anyone know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hi Paul, I'm just of the opinion it's the early bikes combined with the Varese provenance that is reflected in the current value of these bikes.
    I noticed nearly everyone advertising early 916's refers to them as Varese bikes and not specifically by their VIN production number, which leads me to think the manufacturing plant plays a part in the value.
    The Bologna plant was already for 916 production when it burnt down, I doubt the factory was empty and suspect some parts and production machinery (like dedicated cylinder head torquing machines) were lost, hence the different parts and hand built status of the Varese 916's. Regards the quality of the hand built Varese bikes, I've owned mine for 22 years and apart from servicing, a couple of recalls and a regulator it's never been touched mechanically or electrically, it has proved itself just as reliable as my BMW's.
    Until we see some good early Bologna 916 price comparison evidence, the Varese manufacturing plant does seem important to the value of these bikes when looking at the prices Varese bikes have been fetching and the increasing asking prices.

13. See the link above :yum

14. Haha, go on, show me your proof the early Bologna bikes are fetching what the Varese bikes are getting then . . . . . . .

15. It was a paint plant fire, they were already delayed due to financial difficulties prior to the fire...

16. There are no 1994 Bologna bikes to compare with :bucktooth:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information