1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ve Day

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Expat Jack, May 7, 2020.

1. As you all know, tomorrow is VE Day. A time to Remember and thank the great wartime generation.
    My dear old mum just sent me this photo of her mother, family and friends sharing the celebration on the actual day in the street in London where they lived. Several of the houses there were flattened by bombs.
    Long live the Great British spirit.

upload_2020-5-7_16-52-27.jpeg

• Like Like x 19
    • Love You Love You x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Xenophobe ;)

We have a social distancing street party of sorts here tomorrow, here's what Mrs B has been up to so far, all homemade (except the cream but including the bunting)
    96465882_10159820490667586_244313863103709184_o.jpg 96525652_10159820489997586_4077475864437063680_o.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  3. Good effort Mrs B.
    Very ..... patriotic ;)

4. What a fabulous picture you have there !

we’re sharing a virtual chink of glasses with our near neighbours

scones will be baked tomorrow & brownies already made today - will probably fire up the bbq & be grateful for what we have with thanks to those that made it possible 4028112D-0386-4A0E-9594-18DF842E92F4.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks Char. Yes, I had never seen it before today. Nice when things like that happen. My Granny is the young lady on the left end.
    Enjoy your celebrations.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Which is you :thinkingface: the boys are all pulling chimp faces, does it run in the family :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. the wifes grandfather was a flight instructor during WW2, the bombers i think, i will find out shortly. i never met him but her grandmother told us the storys. Amazing people, such a waist of life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BBQ here tomorrow too

• Like Like x 1
  9. Great thread Jack.

My first VE Day without any of my grandparents.

I am very proud of my grand parents and they all died except one within a 6 month period, late 2019.

Granny D was in Mi5 during the war and helped uncover her own boss as a Russian Spy.

Granny S was in the WAF, delivering Spitfires and Hurricanes to their allocated airfields.

Grandpa R was an officer in the Navy, hunting down German Submarines.

Grandpa S was an officer in the REME, fighting in Europe and Africa.

My brother is still serving now.

Great, life role models and I was very blessed to have them in my life. All missed very much and all died peacefully.

• Like Like x 11
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. A lot to be proud of there my friend.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. My middle daughter is a historian and is very good at reminding us of the price our grandparents generation paid.

• Like Like x 2
  12. v.true.
    it was the lancaster he taught and fought in Egypt. the grandmother was in the WAF.
    the wife has just pulled out all the old photos, including all the original documents. there is a letter there that was sent to every household dated 8th of june 1946.
    To-day as we celebrate victory.
    i send this personal message to you and
    all other boys and girls at school. for
    you have shared in the hardships and
    dangers of a total war and you have
    shared no less in the triumph of the
    Allied Nations.
    I know you will always feel proud to
    belong to country which was capable
    of such supreme effort, proud, too, of
    parents and elder brothers and sisters
    who by their courage, endurance and
    enterprise brought victory. May these
    qualities be yours as you grow up and
    join in the common effort to establish
    among the nations of the world unity
    and peace.
    George R.I.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. @finm
    Can you post up any of the pics?

14. i will ask the wife. it will no doubt have to be pics of pics.

• Like Like x 1
  15. right, she's not to keen, it's all family stuff which is fair enough. there is one of him taken inside the plane with him behind the controls and looking scarily like Hermon Munster. i think she might be confused as to what plane he flew, it looks to small.
    interesting stuff tho.

16. No worries, that’s fair enough.

17. My granddad was in the merchant navy, he survived the war, including several U boat attacks and the Russian convoys.
    He never went near the sea after the war.
    Will be in my thoughts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  18. My Grandad was in the Royal Navy. He signed up even though he was in a reserved occupation.
    He didn't say an awful lot about his time I have to admit, but his nerves were shattered and I can only try to imagine what it was like as boiler man working in the bowels of a ship and knowing full well that if the ship gets hit there is little chance of getting out.
    One story he did tell me though was straight after he had passed his training, he was assigned a ship and after his first night on board he came up on deck to witness the convoy he was in, that spread as far as the eye could see as he powered his was down under. All this for a boy who'd never left Widnes until this point in his life!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. My mum was a young girl growing up in Romford during the war. They evacuated all the children at one point for about 3 months, she went to one of the seaside resorts, Puddly on the Marsh or somesuch, and was billeted with some locals.
    I tell you what though, it makes our corona virus shennanigans seem pretty tame.
    I was outside BuckPal in 95 for the 50th where they had Harry Secombe, Vera Lynn and Cliff Richard entertaining. I got pissed on a jug of Pimms. Have the commemorative 50p coin

• Like Like x 1
  20. My mum and auntie were sent to Leominster from London.
    Dad was sent to Sussex.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information