1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Very Small Coolant Leak

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Daniel Howes, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Can't a different deal who has done a few (Nelly) get this through?

If the leak was described to Ducati as 'excessive' then I'm sure they'd cover it.

Seastar could've said it doesn't dry on the casing and leaves a puddle every time. That'd have got it through the process.

2. I had my water pump done on warranty last year for the exact same leak out of the weep hole.
    I now have the same issue and now Ducati are telling my dealer Ducati Glasgow the same that it's normal, yet they replaced the part for the same issue!

Surely the fix should come with a 12 month guarantee at least?
    I don't expect this cop out from Ducati, and my dealer still hasn't got back to me after emailing my thoughts on this.

Otherwise the bike has been great but this issue is spoiling it somewhat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mine leaked a tiny bit of oil from this hole when if was new. Oil was never contaminated, neither was coolant.
    If seems sometimes you get a little of either, but not both from this hole.
    I monitored mine and it ceased (not seized) at around 1000-1500 miles old.
    When ducati first were made aware of this, they took a few engines out to find out what was going on.
    From there they replaced a few water pumps under warranty.
    I wasnt having MY engine taken out, so opted to monitor it.
    I would always give them a few miles, but if it continues, it needs doing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for all the replies guys. I think it's a bit of a joke, as per my other comments on this thread....a new water pump and seal obviously fixes this problem. My bike is a 65 plate and only done 5000 miles. Adam owned it before and never had a problem. I've done approx 100 miles and it started leaking....and has continued to leak for the last 150 miles I put on the bike too....
    I will see if I get a email from Ducati tomorrow morning, if not I will be on the blower in the afternoon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. I totally agree with what you say about it being a great bike yet such a small issue which could be such a simple fix spoils it....

6. Don't let it ruin your enjoyment in the meantime.

Just keep pushing Ducati. My problem with it all is that it will happen again as per above post.

My old 1299 had this issue. Hopefully my new one will be ok but I doubt it.

7. I should have added, mine is a 1299 with the same issue...

8. I can only confirm what bolds said earlier. There is new instruction from the factory on this. I've replaced a couple with some success but it's not been 100% TBH.
    There's no chance that the coolant will contaminate the oil. The hole is an integral part of the coolant system where coolant that passes the seal drains... It's much safer a design than the earlier pumps in all fairness. Those seals fail and the sump fills.......
    Each case has to be considered on its own and I'm sure Seastar would/will sort it if it is decided it's excessive.

9. Thanks for the reassurance and further info nelly :)

10. Yep I had this on my 899, had done 3k miles. Had a replacement water pump! And my mates new 959 has done the same thing, also had a new water pump.

My 899 managed to go below the min coolant line in just 300 miles so be careful not to go too long with it leaking

• Like Like x 1
  11. Time for some K-seal?? F**king Ducati.

12. The seal relies on 2 ceramic disks that are pushed together to seal the impeller side of the shaft (one spins against the other), you don't want to add any leak stop additive.

13. Hallo Erik from Holland here! Have the same problem with my 899. Still no solution for my problem. Ducati keeps the silence. So ask here for extra help information. Is your probleem solved Daniel. Or is there a solution. Thanx!

14. Hi there, no my problem still isn't solved at the moment. Took it to a Ducati dealer and they chucked out the claim and said there was no fault there. Lodged a complaint with Ducati customer services and they still haven't got back to me...that was 2 weeks ago. Bike is booked back in again at the end of the month....only fix is to have a new water pump installed. My bike is still under manufacturers warranty so I'll be fu*#ed if I'm paying for it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Who's the dealer? I went to MotoRapido and they were spot on

16. I'am in the same situation. Bike is under warranty, took it to the official dealer and they made the claim. The told my that the waterpump isn't Always the solution. Hoop that the factory finaly comes with a clear solution. This is very frustrating for a bike this expensive!

• Like Like x 1
  17. I've got the same on my Alfa. It finally figured out that it was an alfa and developed a fault for the first time in 90k miles.

18. The coolant comes out of the tell tale hole on the water pump...this is a sign that the water pump seals are worn. I was advised by seastar superbikes that this was normal. They contacted Ducati U.K. With a claim and we're advised that it was normal....total crap in my opinion and plenty of others too. That's why I rang Ducati Head office with a complaint and have booked in my bike again telling them it's getting worse...it seems to me like it's up to the dealer to say how bad the leak is. A little coolant leak is classed as 'normal' by Ducati....

19. Maybe we should compile a list of owners with this issue and send it across to Ducati uk

20. Chuck half a cup full of coolant on your garage floor and take a picture..

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information