1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Gallery

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Rob, Mar 21, 2012.

1. This is how the 450 Scrambler looks today. Anyone care to guess what bike the swan neck clip-on handlebars come from?

20180215_151442.jpg

20180215_151648.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. Raleigh Grifter?
    :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Very nice Pete but I don't like these clip ons, nor the steering rack gaiters on the rear shocks however practical they might be.

4. The rear shock gaiters are the correct OEM Ducati parts for a Scrambler of that period, although I agree they are not a pretty sight. The clip-ons are actually MotoGuzzi parts from that period, not Ducati parts, but they fit perfectly, I really like them, and they are a lot more adjustable in both axes than the original handlebars.

5. one likes this bike very much:upyeah::)

6. I thought they might be Guzzis clip ons but didn't like to say. I think I might have seen them on gutsibits.
    I've never seen these gaiters but I'm not surprised.

7. Looks good Pete, in the right colour as well.

8. My 450 Scrambler is now pretty much sorted out, and I have taken it for a few rides. In the end I gave up trying to get the electronic ignition system to work properly, so I reverted to the original points with mechanical advance - which works perfectly! Managed to get the 29mm square slide carburettor cleaned and tuned now so the engine starts first kick, pulls cleanly without misfires or backfires, and sounds great. Clutch and all five gears work fine. Overall gearing is about right for town use and back roads, so I won't be changing it. After a bit of attention the front (drum) brake now feels adequate, or it would do if I weren't used to big twin discs. The original Aprilia dip switch has disintegrated, so I have a replacement on order. Overall I am well pleased with this bike.

• Like Like x 4
  9. @Pete1950 Good to hear that you have got it sorted out to your satisfaction. What electronic ignition was fitted? A friend with a 450 Desmo has an Electrex system on his, replacing the OEM Ducati one, and he has never been able to get it to run properly. To me the timing seems to be too advanced at slow speeds. He is considering fitting a Sachse unit.

10. It was fitted with a Sachse unit with (infra red) optical pickup, which was worn out but which Sachse no longer supply. I bought a new Hall effect Sachse unit, but I was unable to get it to run properly and Sachse were disappointingly unhelpful with my queries. So I reverted back to the old style Ducati Elettrotecnica points, capacitor, centrifugal advance, and 6volt coil which work really well, with a nice fat spark and consistent timing. Plus I understand it fully, which I cannot claim of the Sachse Electronik system since they supply very little information. I have no experience of the Electrex one.

11. Thanks for that Pete. It sounds like he won't gain much by fitting the Sachse either. Unfortunately on the 450 Desmo he doesn't have the option of changing to points unless he retro fits them from another model.

12. Surely the timing cover (and the points) are exactly the same on the 250/350/450 Mark III, Desmo, and Scrambler. They are interchangeable. Here is one source:
    http://ducaticlassics.com/Parts/Model/250, 350 and 450 Desmo/68-74WD11/040034260/

13. Yes, that's what I meant by retro fitting. The 74/75 Desmo had a self generating electronic ignition from new but points from any of these models can be fitted.
    Thanks for the link.

14. @Pete1950 does it wheelie off the throttle?

15. Not tried yet, but I expect it would wheelie if I sat well back on the seat and pulled back on the handlebars hard enough ... even with the engine off ...

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. I've just received a response from Sachse, well over a month after my enquiries and still pretty uniniformative. Running very well with points.

17. OK @Mr.R , I have fitted a more suitable handlebar bend - the one off a Honda CG125. Slightly less cow-horn than the one Ducati fitted OEM, but I think it looks right. I fitted the Guzzi swan-necks to my Guzzi. So that's all right now.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lovely 24 degrees today, had to take the old girl out.

IMG_1572.JPG

Nice to have some water in the dams for a change.

IMG_1568.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  19. 20181023_165831.jpg 20181023_165819.jpg 20181023_101541.jpg 20181023_101536.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  20. A run through the hills this morning.
    IMG_20181202_095934.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Love You Love You x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information