1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus/internet Protection

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nasher, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Yep, I have to agree, following looking at this I have continued with Kaspersky to the detriment of my Moral standpoint.
    I've used a few others in the past and it just works without getting in the way.
    God forbid I would ever have to go back to Norton for example.

2. That's interesting Bridgland. I'll investigate.

From a quick scan it does appear to be written, and compared, from the point of view of somebody who really understands what's going on and uses all the features, I can't claim either.
    But yes' will have a look at it with a view to moving over just to massage my Morals.

3. I've used Norton in various guises over the last 15 years or so and to date, I can only vouch for its capabilities and security levels.
    Yes I do acknowledge that it might at times be a tad memory hungry, but with a decent PC, I have no complaints so far.

4. Stop using Windows and you will feel much better.
    I use a Chromebook since they came out. On my third. I have never needed or installed an anti virus on it.
    I also use a Pixel as my phone. Same thing there. I am/was a network Engineer for 3 decades and gave up windows in my personal life a long time ago. I do not regret it.
    During that time I have NEVER paid for ANY software on my Chromebook or phone. Period.

If you have specialized needs, buy what you need. But, if all you do is the Web, watch movies, write resumes or deal with some Excel or Powerpoint files the Chromebook is all you need.
    Another plus is that everything is automatically backed up online.

I have never even held an Apple device. Seriously. I was tech support in my home for the wife and kids and didnt like Apple so nobody was getting one on my dime. And I let everyone know that I would not support them if they had issues with one they bought themselves like I always did with Windows and have continued to do so with Android phones and Chromebooks.

PS They are way cheaper

On Edit...
    Yeah, Yeah, Yeah... But Google sells your stuff... Yada Yada Yada...
    Everyone does. I try hard to only let google know what I do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. For home laptop, mainly used for email & internet on Windows 10 I don't use any protection and have never had a problem in over seven years. I've accidently ended up on some dodgy sites too! Windows own security updates take care of everything.

I think paying for malware defence is like having a landline phone - a complete waste of money (haven't had one since last century!) but maybe I've just been lucky...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information