1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted 996 Bip Wiring Diagram

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Ducati888, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Anyone have a link or a PDF of the above, would need to be the model with the 2 wire alternator though.
    Ta

2. you could have a delve around on here :- Repair / Service manuals - Ducati I'm guessing you don't have a Haynes just for cross referencing - many will point out the faults on these but i still find it useful 80% of the time.

3. Ah good spot Chris, thanks.
    What I'm looking for is info on the connections required for the two black and two red output wires from the rectifier.
    I'm just about to fit the two wire alternator version from a 996 to my 888 and wondered what was best to do.
    Ta. S.

4. Can put up a scan from the Haynes manual, but a 996 has a 3-wire (3-phase) alternator. The single-phase (2-wire) alternator was only on 916 and early 748.

5. You'd have thought so, but that is not the case.
    Here is one link I've found Original Regler SH673-12 and I have a brand new one boxed in the garage stating that it's from a 996 Bip.

6. I wouldn't put much faith in claims, even Ducati don't know what they're doing a lot of the time.

I'm currently rebuilding the top end of my 916 and have got the official Ducati gasket set which (dealer) claims is for a 916 & ST4, however the packaging and part number claims it's for 996 and ST4.

Most of it fits 916 except for the rocker pin gaskets and exhaust inspection cover gaskets, which are indeed for ST4 (dropped exhaust cam) fortunately the head gaskets are 94mm (so fit 916) but would no way suit a 996 as stated on the packaging.

The reality is that 916 & ST4 whilst similar have some different gaskets and 996 is a totally different beast yet it claims to be for all, the kit only 100% fits ST4 & S4.

Also my 916 owners manual claims that the bike has a 3-phase 520w alternator, as per 996 (wish it did) but it , and all 916, has the single-phase 350w - so take any seller's claims (including Ducati's) with a pinch of salt.

However I think you can fit a 3-wire reg/rec to a 2-wire alternator just by not using 1 wire? If it is a 2 wire reg/rec then it should be a straight fit, albeit you may need to change the connectors.

The 996 wiring diagram in the Haynes manual shows 3-wire, 916 & early 748 show 2-wire and the earlier models have a charge light facility whereas mine ('98) doesn't, the only 'crossover' model shown is the '97 &'98 916SPS (these were 996cc) which shows a 2-wire system, however I suppose it is entirely possible (given their past form) that there are some 'hybrids' due to Ducati using what was available at the time...

7. I suspect the truth lies in here as you've said.

Anyhow as before, I'm looking for info on the connections required for the two black and two red output wires from the rectifier.
    Do these just get connected as a pair in a single connector to the battery or is there another solution, possibly as on the 2 wire 916?

8. So I have 2 diagrams for the 2-wire setup; 1 for the '95-'97 bike with a 'charge' light and 1 for the '98 model without charge light.

748 916 early wiring2.jpg

748 916 wiring2.jpg

9. Could someone go through the story of larger exhausts re the 916 996 etc . i have a 95 916 with stock pipes , are bigger ie 45mm /50 mm worth it ,what about the chip business , i have heard horror stories of the larger pipes melting breathers , a little help please...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information