War movie thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by timberwolf, Oct 10, 2013.

1. I am quite into my war movies, ww1, ww2, Nam' etc and am always on the lookout for a new watch.

My favourites include, SPR, Downfall, Band of brothers, The pacific, Platoon, full metal jacket etc. I have seen dozens over the years but wonder how many good ones I have missed. Not really a fan of the dirty dozen type films as I prefer a bit of authenticity if possible. I have just ordered "cross of iron" with james Coburn. I purchased "the big red one" a few months back after some good reviews but found it quite boring to be honest.

So, any recommendations from you good folks please? (watch downfall if you get chance, excellent film even with the subtitles, Downfall trailer - YouTube Bruno Ganz portrayal of Hitler is superb)

2. The Thin Red Line & Black Hawk Down

I do like a good war film to

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 matt#corse, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  4. Enemy at the gates is worth a watch - obviosly slow paced in places as it's about snipers...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not sure if I have seen the Thin Red Line Char, I will look into that one thanks . Passchendale, one that's been on my radar for a while but not purchased it yet. I do own we were soldiers but can only remember bits of it and just remember not being that impressed. Hurtlocker, yes matt, I enjoyed that even though I feared it was not my cup of tea. Saving private ryan is a spectacular film for sure, just got back from Omaha beach myself.

6. Yes Enemy at the gates is a good one steve. I have that in my collection. Thanks

7. Das Boot is very good

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thin Red Line is a must watch mate,Nick Nolte is very good and many others.Paschendalle is very graphic like private ryan and shows how both sides got slaughtered .

9. Few jump to mind, (not really a war film), but Schindlers List, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, The Dear Hunter, Inglourious Basterds, Patton, Gallipoli, Empire of the Sun, and Full Metal Jacket...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Forgot about Schindlers List.They should make all kids at school watch that.

11. Life is Beautiful and / or The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas if you want a sob

12. Just noticed you put Downfall in your list... Cracking movie, and shows how insane Hitler was...

13. And there are the good old favorites:

Battle of Britain
    The Sea Shall Not Have Them
    Dambusters
    Bridge too Far
    Life and Times of Colonel Blimp
    Ice Cold In Alex
    Cockleshell Heroes
    First of the Few
    Stairway to Heaven - bit weepy but a good film

Do try and avoid the "how America won the war" movies such as U571.

Bit of movie trivia, Full Metal Jacket was filmed entirely in the UK.

#13 Duke of Stow, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Ice Cold in Alex is my favourite. You can't have a decent war film without John Mills :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  15. I prefer brit war movies. Ive had enough of americans bragging and big shotting everything. Plus a tad more veracity would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. das boot up there with the best, better with subtitles than the badly dubd version.

17. I really enjoyed Black Hawk Down....love those type of movies ( within reason ).

Full metal jacket too, platoon was good. Saving Private Ryan ( camera work or how it looks & sound were excellent ). There is one Im forgetting.....

18. The opening of SPR scared the shit outta me and gave me a new appreciation for those chaps. Made me glad I was born in the 60's.
    The Normandy War Graves are a very sobering experience.

• Like Like x 1
  19. This is a book rather than a film but Sniper One by Dan Mills is a cracker.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information