War movie thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by timberwolf, Oct 10, 2013.

1. and he's a nice fella :upyeah: Hectic days at Cimic :wink:

2. Cross of Iron is very good. Typical Peckinpah movie, take of that what you will. There are some great war movies out there. Rescue Dawn by Werner Herzog staring Christian Bale is fairly underrated. Ive always loved Where Eagles Dare which is pure Sunday afternoon movie watching for me. The original Inglorius Bastards isnt terrible. Its no Dirty Dozen, but its pretty interesting for what it is. Das Boot is a pure classic. Over the years Ive bought that in three different formats.
    Ive never seen All Quiet on the Western Front thou, I guess as a student of film, I really should sort that one out.

3. Ooh Saints & Soldiers is a good little movie too.
    Try Assembly too
    Ji jie hao (2007) - IMDb

4. I like the old ones

The Guns of Naverone The Guns of Navarone (1961) - IMDb

Where eagles dare Where Eagles Dare (1968) - IMDb

The Great escape The Great Escape (1963) - IMDb

The dirty dozen The Dirty Dozen (1967) - IMDb

The bridge over the river kwai The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - IMDb

Not a very good film but a great series MASH

And my personal favorite

zulu91.jpg

ZULU

There are some cracking modern films out there like

Saving private Ryan
    Shindlers List
    Platoon
    Full Metal Jacket

I just like the old ones :upyeah:

zulu91.jpg

5. Yes it is. IMHO it is unconvincing and superficial. If Quentin Tarantino made Titanic, the film would end with the ship sailing into New York harbour.

• Like Like x 3
  6. It's Tarantino FFS, it isn't meant to be convincing.

7. When trumpets fade , hasn't been mentioned , that's worth a few watches

8. you can-Lawrence of Arabia .....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Attack (1956)

Pan's Labyrinth. - Well it's set within a background of a war so it counts for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Das Boot has to be up there right with the very best. I was exhausted after watching it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. my great uncle was lost on the hood, so sink the Bismarck.

watching Passchendaele on u tube at the moment thanks.

I wish a film of the first day of the Somme would be made using modern techniques ie saving private ryan and 3d etc. that would really show what our ancestors went through

• Like Like x 1
  12. the 39th battalion , beneath hill 60.

13. My favourites:
    A Bridge Too Far (John Frost - a true Hero - worked with the film makers)
    The Great Escape
    SPR
    Enemy at the Gates

and the best of all:
    Band of Brothers

• Like Like x 1
  14. Give Tae Guk Gi a go....:upyeah:

15. the killing fields
    schindlers list

16. I also forgot the Colditz Story (John Mills again!!) in my list of war films, If you ever get the chance do the POW museum at Coldiz do it, amazing to see the stuff they made, especially the sewing machine and typewriter made of wood and bed springs.

Oh and the Douglas Bader story.

I love Titanic, I rewind the scene where Lenny the goat drowns and laugh every time.

17. Apocalypse Now is surely the best - but that's because it's only half a war story. As you doubtless know, it's Conrad's Heart of Darkness transposed to the Vietnam War.

Black Hawk Down was pretty intense the first time I saw it - genuinely nightmarish. Less impressive the second time of course.

I saw L'Ennemi Intime by mistake once. I thought I was seeing a film about Russian gangsters in London (which I later did - can't remember the name) but the cinema had posted up the wrong details, so I ended up watching a film about the Algerian War. I was the only person in the auditorium just off the Haymarket. Suited me. It was subtitled but French is not a problem. A great film on a subject not so well known in Britain. It was a particularly dirty war. Recommended if you are a fan of the genre.

18. a bridge to far - absolute classic and based on a true story

#39 Phill, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  19. Not really a war film coz they're only training but I've always liked Southern Comfort

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information