1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning, Strange Bidding On Some Ducati Parts Auctions On Ebay

Discussion in 'Online Retailer reviews' started by Dirty, Jun 19, 2015.

1. I think ebay has its pros and cons but overall ive saved a lot of money buying ducati parts on there and yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the odd bit of shill bidding goes on.I think this happens a lot more on high end clothes and footwear and is more generally accepted as a reserve price.

The thing is with high quality high value ducati parts auctions a lot of bidders will be genuine as its sought after stuff hense I lost out on the STM parts.If I had more spare cash at the time I would have bid a bit more but there you go.Cant win em all.

Not hoverboots but the next pair of trainers I have my eye on always go for around £250 - £300 mark due to being limited and shill bidding on 99p start auctions to set reserve.But they last a lot longer than a new pair of supercorsa tyres for similar money;).

#101 matt#corse, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Fuck I! 250 quid for a set of trainers.....I wont say anything more than that without fear of being attacked by the style council....

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Mmmm they'd go well with this outfit :D

CF-tellytubby1.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. But if I understood correctly, they are a snip at £250 as normally they should be nearly £900 - or did I get this wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fucking 900!! I could buy ET's scrambler for that! - actually no - id rather have the trainers...! :)

#105 comfysofa, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. There's one born every minute ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Yep at £250 they would be a bargain compared to RRP in shops same as a lot of the other stuff ive won.Best one was probably the current season £2400 Lanvin leather jacket I won for £400.It always amazes me how many folks have money to burn ordering high end goods on the net at full price and then sticking them on fleabay if they don't like em or don't fit.Most seem to be based in London funnily enough.Ive even stuck some back on ebay and made hundreds of pounds in profit which is always a nice feeling.

I suppose I could always spend it on the latest ducati and then put it away for 8 months of the year lol.Add lots of performance extras and then bang on about rules and not breaking them like speed limits.

European trackdays lol.I could buy a high end top quality jacket/shoes for what some of you folks spend that will last for many years.;)

#107 matt#corse, Jul 3, 2015
  8. Lanvin are they serious :Wideyed: this needs putting in the Funny/Joke section :D

Lanvin - Comedy Gold

9. madness, but without the label how will others know your in the same club?

10. The high end stuff doesn't have any labels showing usually but if you want others to know then buy something easily recognisable like a Louis Vuitton damlier bag or t shirt with massive Armani /Boss etc branding on it.

Also there are some great British designers out there.Quality is always better if inside label says made in UK instead of Bangladesh China etc.

I thought as you guys appreciate high quality bikes you might view clothes the same.Got a nice leather belstaff for bargain that is still like new after many yrs.Mate was laughing but his primark one fell apart after a few weeks.

11. No red on red is to much.Plus id be more worried about the ill fitting outfit that requires serious alteration work.Also id check there ID as unless they are some kind of entertainer charity worker they are probably a kiddie fiddler dressed like that lol.

That was a joke by the way folks.

#111 matt#corse, Jul 3, 2015
  12. Nope - sorry - at 46 im getting old....as long as I can pass as "presentable" (in the wife's eyes) that's enough for me....still id rather pay 1100 quid for a top end nitron shock (next purchase for the zed) rather than...."a dinner jacket" still - its down to your priorities...

• Like Like x 1
  13. i have two pair o jeans (levi) two pair of boots, two hoodies two jackets one leather one denim and thats about it. agree priorities indeed

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yep - in agreement with matt I can understand wanting to buy designer labels if looking dapper is his thing....I can only gather your not married with children yet!! plus buying good labels means his threads will look that bit dapper for that bit longer. Whilst I don't buy designer stuff I do tend to buy decent quality stuff, when I have to...caterpillar or timberland stuff, bought a camera a couple of years ago (Canon SLR), bought a new TV a few years back (Samsung 8 series) - so I can see where he's coming from - I just wouldn't go that extreme if you will....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Then let's face it, splurging out one and a half grand for some Termis is going to look extremely silly to most people...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. obviously it's a numbers thing but 1500 for an exhaust mental.
    but as they say buy shit but twice. to me it makes sense to buy local. avoid ebay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yeah im with you on that buy shite buy twice but you can find some real bargains on ebay.I guess though this is not doing local business any good or UK economy if using International ebay.

At least with ducati parts you don't have to worry so much about getting conned into buying low quality fakes.Seem to remember some brembo fakes radial master cylinders a few yrs back but not sure what the crack is lately as I finished my project a while back.

Ebay is full of counterfeit clothes and footwear and its not just well known brands like Armani or Boss.You also have to be careful especially with Balmain,Givenchy etc and even stuff like Bottega veneta bags.You name a label and someone out there is faking it.

As for ebay and the rules forget shill bidding there not interested.There answer to lots of counterfeit Givenchy clothing was to change there policy on refunds.As there were many complaints and refunds for counterfeit goods (ebay losing final value fee) the answer was as follows.You now have to get a proof of counterfeit from official Givenchy store.Suprise surprise the busy staff are not interested in authenticated peoples goods purchased from elsewhere so no go.Seller sells cheap tat for high price,buyer gets shafted and ebay keep there final value fee.The only way to avoid this is know what quality looks like and do research on label from web to easily spot fakes.

I notice on Moncler goods there is a specific policy regarding fakes but im thinking they probably took ebay to the European court or something like Louis Vuitton did.

#117 matt#corse, Jul 3, 2015
  18. If a termi system gets there eyes rolling in disbelief Glid a £2500 Akrapovic evo system would probably have them shaking there head and saying a fool and his money or one born every minute etc.Nice though and top notch quality.

Ill leave you to decide if I purchased it from a rule following offical dealer at eye watering rrp or off a nice German fella on fleabay.Was like new on arrival and great deal so couldn't give a crap about any shill bidding if im honest.

Tried to persuade my mates lad to my way of thinking but alas he has made a mistake imho of buying a brand new 15 reg bag of crap chinese supermoto instead of saving a bit more for a nice used ktm,yam or Suzuki supermoto bike.Oh well ya pays ya money ya makes ya choice.

RIMG0531AA.jpg

#118 matt#corse, Jul 3, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yep....true....my ktm supermoto conversion I've lost count of the money ploughed into it but it's around 4k at the moment and still not finished. The last actual cost will be to lower the rear end correctly which means a complete strip and rebuild of the wp shock....160 quid to lower it a couple of inches but there's no sense now in short cutting anything...although it's going to look the tits when it's done.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pic please when its done and of project.Sounds great.

I can understand spending more on bikes than your wardrobe.Went off nice clothes and holidays for a few years doing my 916sps project.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information