1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning, Strange Bidding On Some Ducati Parts Auctions On Ebay

Discussion in 'Online Retailer reviews' started by Dirty, Jun 19, 2015.

1. 900 quid for a pair of odd looking baseball boots, it proves theres one bought every minute. Id be calling fashion victim support to get advice, or failing that a trip to the doctors.
    They must make you jump really high or run really fast hey? Are they so good they are banned from international athletics events? Was Victor Pistorious part of the development team? Was he hoping the cloaking effect would help him in court?

2. Lol I went for gel asics for running and gym training.Would look a bit daft in my Lanvin loafer shoes.

Look with all this designer gear the price is the price.Either pay it or don't (or wait for sales or get great bargains on ebay)same for market stall and primark.The higher price usually reflects nice design,much higher quality materials,handmade in by crafts people in UK or Italy and of course the label.I bet your even paying a fair bit just for the box and dust bags they come with.Of course if they sell out and demand is high price goes up via private sellers.Also if they are ltd edition they fetch more as higher RRP in the shops.

Just like ducati bikes lol .Why aren't we all riding around on scooters and a piss pot helmet instead of exotic designer bikes with Gucci actually Arai, dainese take yer pick riding kit.;)

Yeah agree not all fashion is for me but there you go each to there own.By the way if you think 900 is steep check these out.Not my cup of tea on the colour scheme for sure.

CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN LOUIS NO LIMIT SPIKES SNEAKERS TRAINERS FLAT UK 9 US 10 FR43 | eBay

#142 matt#corse, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  3. Why would others get upset or annoyed at his choices? These shoes are, of course, frippery and any level of common sense would tell you that. However, like everything he choses to spend his coin in the manner in which he choses to do so.

So called designer houses are not stupid. They know that there are customers that are willing to pay massive inflated prices in the name of scarcity, a 'name' and the perception of belonging to a 'set'. The BOM is as you'd expect and there's always craftsmanship and heritage to do the rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ask yourselves why you are riding ducati bikes and not a cheap Chinese alternative.Ducati are not stupid either regarding brand, quality ( well that one is subjective sometimes) and heratige and if it were not for lifestyle followers we wouldn't be able to take the piss out of the scrambler crowd.Only joking.Or me in my foggy rep leathers and helmet.

#144 matt#corse, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Reading my post it comes across a bit snarky, that wasn't the intention.

6. End of the day ,its your money.I wouldnt know a designer label anything.If you could see me that would be obvious!Ive never had a pot full of money for clothes,shoes or the latest bike/parts catalogue bits and bobs.If youve got the dosh,then spend it how you like.

7. The fact that he put all his auctions to private bidding really confirms it for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. All of the above.
    Luxury brands are born into the "Discernment" consumer segment, where superior workmanship and materials deliver superior performance. The consumers are discerning ones who can spot the difference and are sufficiently interested in the product. They might relish having the unobvious choice vs less-informed consumers.

Brands then morph into the Status consumer segment. In this segment, the brand becomes a shorthand to imply superior status. Consumers aren't that interested in the product - they just adopt the brand because of the status it infers. Discernment consumers may then choose to leave the brand as it no longer reflects their discernment.

Louis Vuitton is a classic example. There used to be small ads on the front page of the Torygraph telling the story of the origins of the luxury luggage maker. Classic discernment marketing. Now it's a status brand, adopted by any teenager with a few sheckels. Vuitton on longer explains, it just is. It is photographed on the arms of top models - nothing further is necessary.

Closer to home, Termignioni is the status exhaust. People will pay well over the odds to attach them to their bikes. Other exhausts may be as good, or almost as good and a lot cheaper, but they don't have the name. Whatever Ducati Corse decide to run will be what the Ducatisti will wish to customise their bike with.

With the Superleggera Ducati used classic status marketing tactics: a very high price, a very limited offer, and only allowed a small amount of people to buy one, thus excluding most consumers. Limited supply ensures high prices and high status for owners.

We are nearly all at times discernment or luxury consumers. It just depends on the product category (and perhaps our bank balance).
    There isn't that much fundamental difference between absurdly overpriced training shoes, or exhaust pipes. The same mechanism applies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ^ Exactly the same mindset applies to "indie" bands, all the cool kids have the latest tunes from 'Wheelbarrow Knobjocky' , then as soon as they so called sell out, all the old original fans will move on to to the latest unheard of lot simply to impress their mates.

10. May we assume that your expertise in product marketing segmentation techniques was born as discernment but has now morphed into a status?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Very true. This is a need state that is termed "Independence".

12. I don't think you can assume that! I reckon marketeers have about the same status as bankers and estate agents but without the money.
    But I find brand mechanisms fascinating. I suppose they are part of the aspirational society. I imagine that back in the day when everyone "knew their place" and there was no social mobility, brands were unnecessary as social signifiers. And of course, there weren't any trademarked brands before 1876 (Bass being the first).

13. A fish? :Bucktooth:

14. turd being the second.

15. Poo :Mooning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I would have left it, honest I would!!!

Buuuut there was another of these plates for sale and I was just watching as you do. This morning it was still on about €20. I thought someone was going to get a bargain. Eventually it went for €75. Looks like the winner was a genuine bidder P***c, with 1033 feedback. I feel for him though as the bidder who placed the 2nd' highest bid, in effect the one who pushed the price to €75 (from about €50 which is what these plates have been selling for of late) is a different story though. a***a has 2 feedback and has only ever bid on Forza moto auctions, as can be seen here

I've made sure ebay are aware of the activity by reporting it. I used this link, the item number is 131559973183

Sour grapes because I'm banned from bidding and wanted one of these plates? Nope, a friend bid and won one for me already at a fair price with no suspicious activity in the auction. A non biking friend so if Forza Moto wants to ban everyone who has bought one recently he'll have to ban a few potential future customers as well. I just get tenacious when people ban me and threaten me with legal action for trying to do the right thing.

17. I wonder if the potentially shill bidding seller spent the extra £250 he made on a pair of nice red trainers :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information