1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning Tyre Malfunction

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Peter turner, Jun 25, 2017.

1. I think El Tel's point is that even though his scrambler is fitted with tubeless tyres, they still install a tube. Seems mental to me

2. Yes they do sometimes fit tubes to bikes with spoked wheels and tubeless tyres , to be honest with a spoked wheels I'd rather have a tube for this exact reason , it's not a new problem

3. What's your point @Peter turner ? When a tyre manufacturer writes the word "tubeless" on the wall of a tyre, that means the tyre is capable of being run without a tube. It does not stop anybody fitting a tube inside it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. So have you found out yet - the thread below re a Desert Sled says tubes are fitted - if your evidence is the writing on the Tyres then this was mentioned earlier as being irrelevant - would be interesting to know :)

2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled
    Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

Page 6 of 92

1. K1W1, Nov 17, 2016

[​IMG]
      K1W1Long timer
      Oddometer:

They are tubeless tyres though:
      https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorsport/motorcycle/scorpion-rally-str
      Irrelevant if they are fitted to rims that require tubes. They are made tubless so Pirelli can sell them to a wider range of ADV bike owners than the relatively small number who have tube tyres these days.

5. They use a tubeless tyre with tubes fitted. You can convert them to tubeless using an Outex seal kit which I have done to my Classic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tubeless tyres Front tyre pressure: 2.2 bar (rider only) - 2.2 bar (full load). Rear tyre pressure: 2.2 bar (rider only) - 2.6 bar (full load). As tyre pressure is affected by ambient temperature and altitude variations, you are advised to check and adjust it whenever you are riding in areas where ample variations in temperature or altitude occur. Important Check and set tyre pressure when tyres are cold. To avoid front wheel rim distortion, when riding on bumpy roads, increase tyre pressure by 0.2 ÷ 0.3 bar. Tyre repair or change (Tubeless tyres) In the event of a tiny puncture, tubeless tyres will take a long time to deflate, as they tend to keep air inside. If you find low pressure on one tyre, check the tyre for punctures. Warning Punctured tyres must be replaced. Replace tyres with recommended standard tyres only. Be sure to tighten the valve caps securely to avoid leaks when riding. Never use tube type tyres. Failure to heed this warning may lead to sudden tyre bursting and to serious danger to rider and passenger. After replacing a tyre, the wheel must be balanced. Warning Do not remove or shift the wheel balancing weights. Note Have the tyres replaced at a Ducati Dealer or authorised Service Centre. Correct removal and installation of the wheels is essential. Some parts of the ABS (such as sensors and phonic wheels) are mounted to the wheels and require specific adjustment.

From the sled manual

• Like Like x 1
  7. @El Toro does your Scrambler manual say the same? Not conclusive yet :) Anyone checked for real yet?

8. Looking at the posts on the ADVrider forum, it appears that tubes are fitted as standard. A few Desert Sled owners have have tubes "fail" on the front within the first few hundred miles. The tyres are a tubeless design but the rims aren't but and some on "that other forum" have sealed the rims using a Outex seal kit, as @Derek says.

9. So I was correct with my first post, good to know :innocent::yum

10. Pirelli manufacture/sell this tyre in both Tubed & Tubeless varieties why would Ducati fit the tubeless version with an inner tube, doesn't make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Someone should tell Ducati they're Pirelli warranty on the tyres is void because they've gone outside of the manufacturer's recommended setup ;)

12. The Desert Sled has the new Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tyres fitted which appear only to be available as tubeless.

I was a bit shocked to see that that the (new) Honda Africa Twin doesn't use tubeless tyres. I understand that tyres designed to work with tubes are preferred for serious off road use, as they can run much lower tyre (tube?) pressures for more grip.

#53 steveb123, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  13. I must be going mad :bucktooth: I could have swore I'd read yesterday there was both types :confused:

14. The original Pirelli Scopion Rally (not STR) was available in tubed only for a few sizes and tubeless for other (bigger width) sizes. Again, my understanding is that narrower tyres are preferred for serious off road use, hence these sizes being available in tubed design only.

15. AA taken it to dealers should know the reson for the fla by weekend
    Then explain this in the manule?

image.jpg

16. I'm having problems with the dealer they say there is a tube? It's being mended and I pick up Saturday. I will have to pay for the pick up and now work on the bike. The manual says to put in tubes can cause the bike tyre to burst, I lost air at a huge rate and lost control. I'm confused they are ringing today I will say about the manual but feel against a dealer your kinda fighting a losing battle.

17. I'm having problems with the dealer they say there is a tube? It's being mended and I pick up Saturday. I will have to pay for the pick up and now work on the bike. The manual says to put in tubes can cause the bike tyre to burst, I lost air at a huge rate and lost control. I'm confused they are ringing today I will say about the manual but feel against a dealer your kinda fighting a losing battle.
    I need to check this out my dealer may be charging me for the work and pick up of the bike. They say a tube is fitted?

18. We told you so :) ner ner ner ner ner :astonished:
    Joking aside:
    Odd isn't it...

• Like Like x 1
  19. It would be normal for a dealer to charge for punctures - but this is a rather an odd circumstance...

20. Is the manual "desert sled" specific or a generic Scrambler one?

21. Can't delete these annoying duplicate threads any more? Post and it doesn't go, waiti a minute - stops trying - post again and 2 pop up. :)

22. Good point it's a scrambler Ducati owners manual doesn't say Desert Sled

23. Post number 9 so i win ,well i did before things became confusing :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Post first. If it doesn't do anything just refresh the page et voila.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information