1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning Tyre Malfunction

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Peter turner, Jun 25, 2017.

1. But it is specific to the Sled and has all the spec for a Sled

2. If it turns out to be a puncture then you'll probably have to stump up. If it looks like a seam on the tube has failed then you might be able to argue the point, others have had this problem and some dealers have not charged while others have. Looks like you're going to find out what sort of dealer you've got. Hope you get the problem resolved in you favour.

3. So, turns out it's a puncture. Good news for scrambler owners

4. The events described by the OP are the very reasons why I have fitted Outex sealant kits to the wheels on my Classic. A tube is basically a balloon inside the tyre and tubes like balloons can deflate instantly if they are punctured, resulting in a sudden flat tyre and potential loss of control. With a tubeless tyre fitted, since it seals to the rim, the air will leak out through all the spoke holes, just as described in the first post.
    Tubeless tyres on the other hand very seldom fail suddenly, a nail usually remains in place allowing the air to leak slowly. Even if the piercing object doesn't stay in the hole the leak is still relatively slow allowing the rider to become aware of the problem. The only time I have had a sudden deflation with a tubeless tyre was when it was cut by something sharp on the road (possibly a piece of glass) resulting in a hole about 20mm long. The tyre had only done 80 miles too :(

#63 Derek, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  5. also any void in the wheel that uses a tube when deflated fills with air. blow the tube up. it pushes the air out the spokes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Post number 6 - I was right first :)

7. @Exige - I'd hate to split hairs but if the seam of the tube has split then is it a puncture :)

8. Sorry but this doesn't make sense. Surely it is tubeless tyres which very seldom fail suddenly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Glad I've got you for a proof reader Pete. I should check what I've written more carefully before posting. :relieved:
    I have edited my original post to correct it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yes
    PUNCTURE: make a hole in, pierce, penetrate, rupture, perforate, riddle, stab, cut, nick, slit, prick, spike, stick, impale, transfix, bore (through), drill (through), lance, tap;
    I think rupture or slit (at a seam or not) should cover it :)

11. OK you've convinced me - you can keep your "I told you so" :)

12. Thank you, never had one before :)

13. Update twisted band that covers the spokes and new tube £40 pick up next week. Not sure if the band caused the punter or the other way round.

14. The band is there to protect the tube from the ends of any spokes that protrude through the nipples, although they should have all been ground flush at assembly.

15. Second phone call no hole found in the tyre..and they are taking pictures to send off. May get it for free if defected rim guard?

16. If the exposure to the spoke ends due to band misplacement
    Is the cause of the puncture there should be no charge..
    Ask to see where the tube was punctured.. inside or outside:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Agree, if the protection from the spoke was twisted and therefore failed then absolutely no charge.

18. Yes, they should be ground flush as you say. But if any of the spokes later become loose and have to be tightened with a spoke key, the ends may not be flush any longer. Hence the need for the rubber band to protect the tube.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information