1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradders, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Certainly for old Omegas, if a new part can't be sourced, watchmakers will have access to parts canabilised from movements scrapped as "beyond economic repair." I'd guess that applies to lots of premium brand watches of a "certain age".

I remember my manager (he had a quarter share in an old plane) getting his Breitling pilots watch serviced and it cost just shy of a grand.

2. Yeah they also include a new case when they return it afterwards! omega.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Be careful eBay is full of fake vintage luxury watches.

Easy excuse for no papers or box being present as it's old and they have been lost or misplaced.

Buy from a reputable dealer or at least inspect the watch before purchase or you could risk getting burned.

4. When I was about eight years old coming up for my next birthday I went into my parents bedroom and said "I wanta watch".

My old man said "Well, come in and shut the bloody door".

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. A grand and it's a quartz watch bradders?? It's your wedge dude, but a grand for a battery watch...... :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. I know nothing tbh, its a dress watch thats needed rather than every day one. And new they were around 2500....I thought a bit salty tho for price..btw what other type is there?!

7. Had a Daytona serviced last year, £550, they have just increased their warranty periods though from two to five years which I thought was good alongside the ten year service intervals.

8. Quartz, automatic, or manual wind. Omega make some of the best mechanical automatic watches. Autos have a weight that rotates to wind the watch while wearing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I have a few watches and don't get them serviced when they tell me. I get them serviced when they no longer keep good time or function correctly. My seamaster is 18 years old, never serviced, still keeps within +3 a day

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. I thought quartz was top of the tree in quality

11. Quartz watches generally don't hold money like mechanical watches either.

12. It's top of the tree in accuracy, but certainly not quality or desirability

13. Many high end watch makers don't do quartz watches anymore including omega I think, battery watches devalue the brand, as you can buy a Casio for 30 quid which is essentially the same. Mechanical watches all the way Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Depends on how you perceive ‘quality’ In Watches. Some consider quality to be the movement if its automatic -who developed it,where it is made, how complicated it is -the engineering Etc. Some consist quartz accuracy to be quality focus.
    Some consider the materials the watch is made of to be the quality item.

Quartz would generally be perceived to be ‘mass produced’ IMHO.

Subjective really.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Agree

16. As long as it shows beer O clock then I don't care if it is from China from 99p

17. Philistine :p

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information