1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Weird Electrical Gremlin

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Mr. Faffington, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Thanks to both of you for all your help so far, just to be clear when you say they introduced the indicator flash as part of euro5 protocol do you mean the fact that they come on and stay on to indicate a fault? As that’s what happens but this time without ignition on (I realise the can bus will also stay live) and they flashed at random intervals before staying on. Previously they would all come on together at a very specific time after ignition switch on, and go off with the ignition. So the behaviour is now different

ABC9FD40-A59B-4D82-9EFD-DEA993BE4695.jpeg

2. So much for the supplying dealer not being able to replicate the fault then :joy::sob: Andy

3. this is my thinking, if Euro5 really has added a load of standardisation and protocol stuff then surely they will have been able to check it. If they even looked at it....

4. No. It’s not new to Euro 5....it’s been around for a while now. Pre euro 4 in some cases that employ a full, proper CanBus arrangement.

5. if it’s been to the dealer and they had plugged the bike in and there had been a fault with a control unit, I would be surprised if there wasn’t a record of it in its memory.

All supposition on my part though as I’ve no experience with Ducati’s CAN-BUS.

6. Not entirely the case.... if CanBus is down, it’s not always possible to even get the diagnostics connected up as the diag socket is on the CanBus itself. That’s why there is the physical indicator flashing to show a problem exists.
    Likewise, if the bus is down, then what is going to get reported and where? It’s not that simple I’m afraid. CanBus diagnostics is a mare of a job and needs some decent kit if the problem is more than a simple or known issue. I’ve just completed the master tech course at the factory on the electrical systems and that resulted in adding an oscilloscope to my tool kit just to be able put in to practice some of what we we taught.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Thanks again Nelly! Appreciate you giving me your knowledge for free, appears though that I need to get it to a really good dealer like Moto Rapido who will spend the time figuring it out

8. No problem. In the current climate, getting it into a workshop is going to be tough though. I’ve seen you’re already into stripping the panels off. May as well have a good look around the ecu connectors where you can. It’s difficult to suggest what to do over a forum page, but I’d suggest holding back from poking testing equipment into the wiring etc. It’s very easy to short something on the new stuff if your not careful and that wouldn’t be good from a warranty perspective.
    I’ve closed down now so am limited as to what info I can offer but if I can help anymore, let me know.

• Like Like x 2
  9. thanks mate, I’m not going to start chucking multi metres in there but I might disconnect the battery and reseat all the main connectors that I can find and see whether that happens. Taking the fairings off isn’t fun on the V2 but at least now I know how to do it, I’m torn because it’s 2 months old, but ultimately I’ve got nothing else I can do until the dealers open up.

funnily mine suggested that a battery disconnect for 30 mins might sort it out. Somehow I suspect not! It ride perfectly, it’s just the indicator Issue this is what’s so weird

10. I’d look for a seal on an ecu connector not seated correctly or such like?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. What’s this guys? Is it the main starter solenoid?

C4C0E0A9-413E-4938-A7F6-09D0B2FD59A6.jpeg

12. The little box looking thing with the green fuses? That looks it to me mate.

959_Starter_Solenoid.GIF

(Taken from a 959 Workshop Manual)

13. That's it, thought it might be the starter solenoid due to the size of the feeds and shielding etc.

14. So here is the latest reply from Ducati, it looks like the bike did record an issue with the left hand front indicator, which begs the question why did the dealer not strip this down and investigate it?

Also, I disconnected the front left indicator, and the right one, and the rear all independently to see if one of them was shorting and causing the issue but they all stayed on when I did this. I guess I'll have to get it to a dealer and at least there is 'some' record of the fault existing and I'm not just totally trying to convince Ducati there is a problem that they can't see.

Would appreciate your thoughts. @nelly and @Mr. Faffington you really have been incredible and I really appreciate it! I love Ducati's, I'm a passionate owner and not naive to the fact I bought something with more temperament than a Jap bike but just want to get to the bottom of the issue.

IndicatorPic.jpg

15. The info you have is correct in that there is now a counter system with in Euro 5 whereby unless an error repeats it won’t indicate on the dash. It can be read out with diagnostics though. If there is an issue with an indicator, this could be further confusing things with regards to it being a can issue as previously discussed? Also, by disconnecting components you could be generating more errors, that would only compound the issue when trying to diagnose......
    You’re not going to get to the bottom of it until you can the bike into a workshop and read out tbh.

16. agreed, will just have to wait and see what I can get done when things open up again.

I checked the indicators again just for pinched or damaged wires, they look fine, the only thing that’s playing on my mind is that the dash connector just doesn’t look pushed all the way home. It could well be but I’m not sure why they would leave that much exposed Male connector? Sorry you have to zoom in, and I’m really clutching at straws here!

1A04CF76-EEB4-4CDE-A307-2547C3ED1166.jpeg

17. Looks ok. Easy to check with fairing off if you’ve got 20 minutes to kill ;)

18. I somehow doubt it's the dash connector as the plug on the loom has a tab on it that locks/clicks into place when inserted and has to be depressed to release the connector block from the back of the instrument panel, so it's hard to see how it could have backed out without you losing feed to the unit, which would be immediately obvious. There is also a peripheral rubber seal on the connector plug to add an element of weatherproofing, further preventing any issues. It does sound as if you have potentially some water ingress issues or another short in the wiring. Have you checked the LH switchgear for any residual moisture?

19. the left hand switchgear is the only obvious thing left to check, today I looked over the bbs etc and I’ve had the right hand switchgear apart and all looks good

20. Get yourself some dialelectric grease and smother all of the contacts within the switch gear with it. It is non-conductive and really does keep all but the most persistent weather away. If it turns out not to be the switch gear, at least you can rule it out of the equation and move on. No harm either in unplugging the ECU, BBS and DES units and checking for water ingress. Make sure you do this with power off AND the battery disconnected, else you risk introducing more diagnostic errors as Nelly alluded to.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information