1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Weird Uneven Tickover And Cut Out

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Chris Scott, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Hi Guys,

I know I have posted on here before about a year ago, and that a chap in Singapore had a similar issue but I need some sage like advice here.

So I have a 2016 MS 1200 DVT with now 11k on the clock.
    bought the beast with 5.5k about a year ago, it ran like a dream as you we know and would expect.
    I had full power up-map and termi system installed (with added grin factor).
    When i took it in for the 3 year Belts service, the mechanic performed a Ducati S/ware upgrade and it;s been a pig ever since.

The symptoms were:
    - A stutter on hard acceleration regarless of the mode (ie snap the the throttle back)
    - When slowing to a stop reasonable quickly the bike would lurch and revs "bounce" between 700 and 1600 and more often then not stall
    - When riding in town traffic where you are gentle and the revs are up at 1750 -1900 just to push you through small gaps (stop laughing) when you come to a stop the engine dies

What I have done
    - Service
    - TPS resets
    - reinstall the FP software
    - Replace the airbox seals
    - Replace the throttle (Ducati recall)
    - Replace the MAP sensors

It;s still doing the same but not as bad.
    What next???? Any clues?

I love this bike and refuse to be beaten but this is the last throw of the dice before it goes to trade in heaven (crying smiley)

It is truly making me miss my ST3 like you would not believe only because it is now a pain to ride and a lot of my day to day riding is in central London.

Answer on a reply (no more postcards I guess)

Cheers oh wise ones!

2. Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Did you check the MAP hoses for cracking?

My rear MAP hose perished after only 20,000 miles.

[​IMG]

3. Also since the belts were done? was it at a Ducati dealer?

4. I will check them this weekend :)

5. It was done at Rosso Corse who have done my ducati for almost 12 years with no issues at all!

6. Take it back?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. What has the dealer suggested and have you tried removing the termi map and then reloading it?

8. Ok just that DVT timing is different to earlier models and the dot on the engine case has no relevance now but is still there and the symptoms seem to correspond

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I seem to remember that a chap on here had a simular issue a while ago. If I remember correctly the timing was off by one notch despite the mechanic checking several times. It sounds like a check of the belts would be a good starting place. Pro Twins are highly recommended if you need a second opinion and are around the M25.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. If you do a search for threads by Laava you should find the details of the faults he had. Makes interesting reading and not dissimilar to the issues you are having. The last thread was Engine misfiring..again, but the post before that was the one with the details you need.

Good luck

11. The bike is with pro-twins now.
    From what they were saying the 1200 DVT is a swine to sort the timing on.
    With older bikes you get usually allign everything on one full rotation and with 1200 dvt engines it takes 27.
    Anyway That does not mean a huge amount to me other than these are sod to work on :)

12. Hope all goes to plan. Keep us updated on progress

13. Yep, it does sound very much the same as what my bike did. It was out by one tooth on one inlet cam despite being setup by experienced ducati mechanics with all the right gear and they rechecked it and still didn't find it. In the end they went back to basics and found the issue. That solved the nasty running and terrible idle but now I am left with a low rev stumble up to nearly 4k rpm. I think this is something else...
    Make sure your mechanics do the auto adaptive reset. This has to be done dead cold.

14. I have an update guys. turns out that with the timing was fine but the belts were too tight.
    It was in an incorrect fuel filter that caused the problems.

just want to publicly say that pro twins are legendary.
    Never encountered a set of mechanics like them.
    Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Chris.

• Like Like x 3
  15. I guess you might be having words with Rosso Corse?

16. Some words not all the words and some of them may have a nautical reference :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Why do the belts at 3 years? It's 18000 miles or 5 years. Agree with Bolds though, sounds like the timing is out. Even with the tooling, it's a pain in the arse of a job to do.

18. Yup that's what Protwins said too!
    like I say they were amazing.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information