1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welsh Tt?

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by bikermike, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Plus the £25 entry I suspect. It’s £45 for the weekend I think, and more for camping off site somewhere

2. You sound a bit sceptical, dude?

3. It is a time trial rather than road race, hence the pairs. Bet some of the circuit is super fast, with jumps and lots of power wheelies, and all the roadside stuff like logs and sheep will have been relocated;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. On a par with Oliver's Mount. You don't have the £x00's of ferry costs either compared to Norn Iron or IoM. I'm rooting for 'em. If this event works then perhaps they will develop it. Course is historic and looks interesting and with plenty of viewpoints to enjoy the racing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. One thing they have to get right is open paddock access, it's one of the best bits of roadracing and at Oliver's Mount it's a constant frustration that the only way you get paddock access is with an advance full weekend ticket, you can't even pay a bit more on the day to get access.

With one thing and another you have a lot of waiting around with racing and one of the great joys of being there is mooching about, excitedly spotting the racers doing their thing and peering into garages / tents as they prep / repair / fettle the bikes and kit. Take that away and you lose a big part of the experience. Other than the Michael Dunlop / Guy Martin types who get mobbed, most racers are happy to accept a thumbs-up and a good luck from a fan, or humour autograph hunters / selfie snappers... that kind of accessibility is what develops the connection that road racing fans feel with the racers, and leads to the great atmosphere you get at most real roads events.

6. No not at all. I will own up to not being a road racing fan but each to his or her own, whatever floats your boat. Anything that brings money into a disadvantaged area gets my vote and as has already been alluded to, Wales is a bit more accessible to UK residents so perhaps it will also encourage new interest. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I’d be amazed if this route isn’t already used often for rally stages by local clubs.

8. hopefully i can get there with my race bike for the parade laps. :upyeah:

9. This is the basic route. Seems a little longer than their claimed circuit so maybe missing something somewhere but it certainly covers much of the video route.

https://goo.gl/maps/7BV8YhyVXcx

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. I know those roads really well. Its a lovely spot. Empty open moorland but narrow roads. Single track pretty much in a lot of places. Not entirely hazard free though. They obviously clear the circuit of hazards on race day but on normal days when the roads are open to the public its not somewhere to really get the hammer down if people are tempted to pay a visit and try it out. There are banked gullies running alongside the roadway in a lot of places which are hidden in the grass and sheep often lie up in them and wander onto the road from nowhere, and the grass is dotted with rocks as well. But definitely safer than IOM. There's some very fast straights but with no margin for error at the end of them.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO0X4zfZNarwRReImlBTf1g

Anyone going up for a shufti should ride the B4520 from Brecon to Builth Wells while they're at it. Its epic. There's some really tricky sections especially at the Builth Wells end heading south. There's a notorious bit where a tight S bend combines with a blind summit, road narrowing and walls and its all under trees. Its a heart-stopper if you haven't been paying attention.
    You can make a fast circuit of the route by heading east on the A483 to Llandovery from Builth, then picking up the A40 back to Brecon. Its good in either direction. I spent the best part of a day and a back tyre riding round that one back in June.

Halfway along the B4520 you can turn left to Garth and that's a fine road too but rocky and narrow. You can go left to the circuit from there.

I'd definitely be up for going to the race but I wouldn't be booking accommodation nearby. The rates are sure to go through the roof and there's no shortage of accommodation around the Brecon Beacons.

I wouldn't say there's that much high ground nearby for a good vantage point. The road disappears in the grass in a lot of place. Its just rolling moorland really. But there is shed loads of space.

#30 Gimlet, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hi can you pm me with accom booked. I want to go with a couple of mates.
    Cheers

12. Not familiar with this area at all. The postcode given on the website is "LD2 3HW, Builth Wells " which seems to be a long way from @duke63 map. Have I got something wrong here?

I would love to go and I would appreciate a PM message for good accommodation at the right location - @duke63 , @Gimlet or any other member who is in the know.

13. Problem with this event is it will clash with Thruxton BSB and is just before the Ulster , so the logistics for teams won’t work too well so tempting all the top riders without crossing their palms largely could be a problem

14. Can vouch for Metropole in Llandrindod Wells - good ale house over road (Arvon Ales)

The Royal Oak in Rhandirmwyn, Llandovery is great but probably full as only a few rooms

Even being 40 miles from event shouldn’t be an issue as you’ll still have a great ride getting there :thumbsup:

Think we’re staying even further north in a chalet in a field

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. try to get a room in the griffin at Felin Fach, 20 minutes from the circuit and the gastro pub restaurant is the best in the area!!

16. peterstone court just outside Brecon is nice too

17. I'll be going definitely...I'm in bristol so I'll be a good ride up there...

18. already booked? You guys marshalling?

19. Snap. Except I'm not in Bristol, but the ride over will be great ;) Tempted to grab the tent TBH, few beers then

Do Not Sell My Personal Information