1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XDiavel What’s The Backrest Safety Recall?

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Freerange_egg, Jan 2, 2024.

1. According to Ducati, I must contact my nearest service centre ASAP. What could be so urgent? I must have a warning sticker applied to the passenger backrest.

Can anyone shed any light on my backrest’s darkest hour?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. AFAIK it’s possible, if the backrest has not been correctly and securely fitted, it could detach if leant against by a pillion. It’s to make sure it’s probably installed and to fit a warning sticker telling of the dangers of not properly installing it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Who signed off on the design and location of the back rest attachment ? Probably zero engineering background with no understanding of material properties. Designed to fail ! Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The recall appears to be triggered by the mounting screws coming loose. This allows the composite to crack. The backrests aren’t fitted at the factory, but fitted if customer requests at pdi. The issue is, or seems to be, dealers not applying threadlock and/or a couple of washers depending on VIN. There’s no redesign of the backrest itself, just replaced if cracks are found.
    The stickers will be aimed at the US no doubt, they love a warning sticker :p they’ve had two fail. I’ve not heard of any over here?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Fat Yanks :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I found a solution – instead of slapping an ugly sticker on my gorgeous Xdiavel, I have decided not to take pillions. Aesthetical problem solved.

Why didn’t Ducati suggest this in the first place? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Makes most sense, and I reckon the bike looks much better without it :)
    Having said that I have been looking for a back rest for a while. They are great for strapping the Kruga luggage to when touring. If anyone has a back rest for sale drop me a line :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information