1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 What Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bob J, May 21, 2018.

1. At present as well as my Panigale 1299s I have a Yamaha Super Tenere. Nice bike but bloody heavy. So I started to look around at other options to replace the Yamaha. Thought I would share my views on what I thought.
    First up was the KTM Super Adventure S: Kept reading about how good the engine was on this bike.
    My first impression were how narrow the bike felt. Handled well and the engine is a good piece of kit.
    It did not feel a quality bike though. There were items that were not working from the quick shifter to the heated grips and a few other things as well. The dealership did not seem to be that bothered and I did not have any follow up calls from them either. Felt pretty underwhelmed about this machine and it did make me wonder what some journalist think at times!!
    Second was a Triumph Tiger 1200 XCA. This one I was looking forward to riding. Again reading all the reports on this bike I was expecting something more than I was experiencing. Engine felt like I should be in a higher gear all the time even when I was in top. Expected it to be smoother. Also there was a terrible wine for the air box. if you were on a long journey this would drive you mad. Or me at least. Nice switch gear but again pretty underwhelmed. it also felt like an old mans bike to ride.
    Third was a BMW 1200 GS which I had always tried to avoid but thought I would see what all the fuss was about. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how good this bike was and felt. You fell at home on it straight away. Felt it lacked power, but a good bike. The only thing here was I was desperately trying to avoid buying one of these because they are like bellybuttons. Everyone's got one and they breed a certain type of biker !!
    As a bit of a left field choice I tried the BMW 1000 XR. I drove it 1 mile turned around and went back. It was crap.
    So now I am awaiting to test ride the Multistrada 1260 s and the Enduro. As I expected all along this would no doubt be the bike I will most likely end up with for touring. No doubt a test ride will prove that. I just hope they are as good as everyone says they are. I'll update when I have ridden them both.

2. Would you say the ktm adventure r is a comparisson to the strada 1260? I would have thought a superduke 1290 gt would have been more of a comparisson. As to the dealer, there are a few that think their shit doesn't stink and can switch off unless they hear the words, I want to buy one now. In that case I would be looking to see if another dealer of the same make does better?

3. I am in a similar dilemma. I look forward to seeing your view on the new Muttley. I am going to test one in a couple of weeks hopefully

4. Well on the basis I wanted an adventure tourer that could carry two with luggage yes I would. Most of the tests I have read have put that bike in that category hence why I tried various bikes. it also seems that within this category there is something for all tastes. it's just what suits you. With the dealer comments to me it reflects the service you are likely to get afterwards as well. KTM need to up their game as far as I am concerned and the quality of their products. Read any test there is always something that's not working.

5. Well if you get thee first let me know what you think.

6. I will Bob

7. I take it you haven't read the forum members 1260 multi and v4 new owners and test ride reviews?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Thanks I have. All make good reading

9. Your comment on belly buttons holds true for any bike/biker. So, our opinion pretty much holds as much weight as feathers. It's totally up to you to decide and riding all of the bikes that you are considering is the only way to go. My experience on the Triumph is quite contrary to yours. I found it never needed a shift to go fast. Plenty of torque pretty much everywhere and the motor was smooth as butter. Did you configure it to go all the way (electronics wise)? Having said that, the 1260 was the most refined complete bike I have tried and I am currently thinking of doing the leap.

10. Honestly, take a 2017 onwards GS with gearshift assist out for an extended test ride on proper country roads with lumps, bumps and corners. Set suspension to road and throttle to Dynamic and cane the living daylights out of it. Your in for a surprise at how good it actually is once you trust it and forget about the 19" front wheel. Outstanding bike. On my second after Multi 1200, R1200gs, S1r, 1290 GT.
    The handling is superb and punch out of corners instant. Only runs out of real go around 120-130 ish (apparently) and the other bikes would only be quicker on smooth roads and higher speed corners with a committed pilot. Probably struggle to keep up with it on bumpy roads.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Get a 1260 enduro in September or a 1200 enduro with a big discount. Never regretted the move from BMW

12. I have the R1200GS parked next to the Panigale, and although I agree there is a stigma attached to the bike, once you've enjoyed the ride of one for a few months, you'll not care less about what other people think.

I lived off mine for 6 months of touring around eastern europe, and I NEVER didn't want to ride it. Welcoming, fully specced for a decent amount less than the Multi, and a doddle to work on myself. (Doddle with hindsight, some mod sessions contained expletives). Agree on some lack of power but a new end can and filter soon fixed that (only a little).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ....also, do a weekend at ORS in Wales; ride down a -30* angle of wet boulders, without being allowed to touch the brakes, then do a tight skid turn at the bottom....on your first day, level 1 course - THAT'S how great they are to ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I agree with you on a few things with the GS, the handling is a surprise for a bike with softish suspension, the lack of dive when braking, and you forgot to mention the fuel economy, and the WC engine is quite punchy.
    But I have to add, who the hell goes looking for a bumpy road on a bike :eek:

15. Only to show the competence of the thing as a road bike. Dont know what its like where you live but my roads are not surfaced like a race track. If your roads are then great.
    Local run is Hartside, very bumpy roads to and from. Just a fact of life in this area.

I think people often get confused with what handles on track and what is required for real roads. Its a constant source of amusement following or passing sport bikes on the GS, watching the firm suspension kicking riders out of the seat ;)

16. My mate has an early 1200 GS @J biker and keeps up with me easily on B roads. He decided to have test ride on a w/c GS and he came to the conclusion that at over £10,000 to swap, it wasn't that amount of money better than his old GS.
    So instead he bought an XR, and after owning it for a twelvemonth now wishes he'd bought the WC GS.

I must add, the roads down this way are crap, and I don't recommend anybody bothers to come down here. :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Some great comments and only goes to show its what you like riding. Up until now in my opinion the GS was the best. Looking forward to the test ride. I like the size of the GS adventure so hoping the Multi Enduro lives up to expectations.
    Any comments on the Enduro out there ?

18. i have a 29" inside leg and find the GSA far too tall. i've had an older model lowered and it looked awful. the multi ticks all the boxes for me now

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. standard Gs all day long, the adventure is far too big.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I have the same problem, but who cares my misses thinks I'm cute :)

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information