1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 What Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bob J, May 21, 2018.

1. I have just come from a Super Tenere to a 1260s. I tried a Triumph 1200 also a 1050 Sport, and had never been interested in a GS or KTM. Both Triumphs were good bikes, but for me not good enough to drag me away from the S10, which as you say is a great bike. I had long fancied a Multistrada but was a little hesitant due to stuff I had heard/read about niggles and possible running costs. But as soon as I had a test ride on the 1260 I knew within minutes it was the bike for me. Lighter, faster, sexier, and altogether much more exciting than the Tenere. The Multi is not quite so comfy as the Tenere, may end up not being as super reliable, and may well empty my wallet a bit more, and yes I've had a couple of niggles................but what a wonderful bike, best bike I've ever owned!

2. Couldn't agree more.
    Now on my second GS (Triple Black) and it is by far the best all round bike I've owned. The suspension allows you to not care what kind of road you are on - bumpy or otherwise. If you ride 2-up, the ESA and Paralever/Telelever enable it to handle almost as if you were riding solo. Mrs Spareparts has endured 400 mile days no problem. Comfort-wise, it is superb for long days in the saddle.

In terms of outright HP, yes the GS lacks compared to the Multi/KTMs. But riding the GS at max rpms bouncing off the rev limiter is not how you ride them. The torque drive out of bends is surreal. No other bike has a drivetrain that allows you to get on the throttle as early, and the GS easily gaps many other bikes over normal roads coming out of every bend. If you like touring/riding at 100+ mph on a regular basis, the GS isn't the right bike. But if the majority of your riding is between 40-100mph, the GS is hard to beat. Imho.

And on track, it's not too bad either.
    [​IMG]

3. Thanks to everyone who has commented. So it seems it's a choice, for me at least, between a GS or Multi. The choice will no doubt come down to what feels better to ride. Will give them a go back to back.

4. A lot may depend on what kind of rider you are. The Ducati engine is really strong for mid to top end, the Gs has real punch out of corners and does rev out well. Try dynamic for more snappy throttle response. The Multi defo will initially feel more sporty, push harder and the BMW suspension starts to prove to be pretty unique in how it copes with braking, turning in, fully loaded, one up, two up etc. A stunning bike on tight, nadgery roads once you 'believe in it'.
    Little things niggled me with my 2013 Mts, stretchy chain, rust, rounded bolt heads (within six months), cheap exhaust material. Along with some questionable reliability. The Gs is my 3rd BMW and (touch wood) in a different league for quality of fasteners and all of the bikes have been issue free.
    2016/17 onwards GS have revised transmission so days of clunking at every gear change are gone. The up and down quick shifter I like a lot too. Standard screen works great with no buffeting, nice up to autobahn cruising speeds.

Whichever you go for though, both are great bikes. The Ducati engine has great character. Get a proper long test ride in on both, try out the different suspension settings, they make a huge difference. I assume you can go from soggy to super firm on the Duke now(?), certainly can on the GS. Dont just leave it in the settings already dialled in by the supplier or last demo rider!

5. My dad has the triple black GS and he can’t justify changing it. Just does everything so well and has been without fault. He’s got a KTM SuperDuke R for his fun, but he’s quick enough on the GS anyway. He test rode them all when he was buying. GS came top, KTM 1290 Super Adventure came second but lacked the comfort of the GS.

6. GS or multi, I would say the multi enduro, why ? Put it in sport mode and ride like the wind, contest over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Interesting thread... after 8 years with a Multi (2010 then a DVT) i’ve Just swapped to a 2018 lowered suspension GSA for touring etc, and a Monster for fun sunny days. Nothing wrong with the Multi. Always loved it, but just fancied a change after 8 years. As others have said, my opinion of the GS changed after doing the off road school level 1 in Wales a couple of years ago....incredible bike. It kinda ‘looks after you’. After test riding the 2017 GS, the comfort and ease of riding it, persuaded me to go for the change, albeit the image thing still lingered - but as others have said, who cares !! Only done my 600 miles of running in so far, but really starting to gel with the GSA now. True it lacks the outright power and ‘snap’ of the Multi, but it ain’t no slouch either. Got a tour to Spain and Portugal in Sept, so looking forward to using the GSA for its intended purpose. My thinking is that the GSA will be better for getting me there, and general riding, but I’ll miss the Multi when I’m on the twisties and sweepy bends !!
    So in essence, both the Multi and GS are great bikes...just depends on personal choice, circumstances, mood your in etc etc !!! Enjoy making the decision...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Prepare to be surprised. The Boxer1200 delivers more torque than the Multi does low down, the CoG is carried lower, and you may find it a surprise on the tighter twisties. The Multi will have the legs on fast sweepers, but the GS will never be far behind. The difference will be the rider, not the bike!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Plus one ^^^

I'm on my second GS. They really hustle on twisty roads, ride it in a committed fashion and be surprised. The handling is one thing I love about them, looking forward to this years Euro invasion and when I get there...I am on the right bike! Thats my view after using a mixture of litre bikes, 1290gt etc etc for hooning and touring duties.
    How many places have the smooth roads and lack of 'supervision' where more can be used anyway?

BTW, once the weird (and fast squaring off) Annakees are worn, replace with either Conti Road attack 3 or Dunlop Roadsmart 3. takes the bike to a new level.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s are great too. Will be trying out some Conti RA3s next.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. If u r looking for at a GS, wait for the imminent 1250 with more hp (140-150). Rumoured to be out towards the end of the year.
    I tried my mate GS and the comfort is second to none as compared to the mutley. And the GS is fine travelling constantly at high speed(160kmph).
    Even at that speed the GS is very much composed whe compredc to my 2011 Multi S. I won't hesitate to trade in for one .hahaha and yes even tho it feels like a taxi with so many on the road
    Cheers

12. Are you expecting to be somewhere sandy/muddy and have to paddle it along? If so, get the lightest one you can find and one you're comfy standing on the pegs for hours on, unweighting the front wheel. The GSs are heavy.

If it's for road touring get something with shaft drive.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information