1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Ducati Would You Buy?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by West Cork Paul, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Let's throw this one out there, just imagine, for one imaginary moment you had about 12k (ish) to spend and you wanted to buy a Ducati that you know you would keep for around the next 15-20 years at which point, when you are perhaps a little too old to be riding a motorbike, you may, just may, sell it rather than just look at it each time you go into the garage. You also know it won't be your one and only bike, it will be ridden occasionally and when the time does come to offer it for sale you want, at the very least to be able to recoup the money put into it but it would be very nice if it had appreciated somewhat in value over the 15-20 years you've had it, at least appreciated more than the 12k would have if stuck in the bank or in shares.

What would you go for in today's market? :thinkingface:

What prompted this is I'm looking at a very mint 998S but then I got into thinking 'what else would 12k buy?

• Like Like x 1
  2. You could buy quite a nice widecase bevel single for that, early 70s. Ideal collector, also lovely to ride.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. For me and at that money, it would be a 749R, mark 1, carbon fairings.
    The 998 is a cracking choice though.
    It’s such a personal thing isn’t it? I nearly answered 2 Pantah’s. One 500, one 600. Not much value but I like them. Or a Pantah and an 851.
    Or a ...... you get the picture.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. How about a standard Multistrada 1000 DS? There won’t be many fugleys left in original condition.

Or an Indiana if you can find one?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. 749R
    748R (although these have shot up very recently)
    1198SP
    996SPS

Worth checking the auctions to see what the prices are doing there and putting a few low ball bids in as you never know the sellers situation.

I have always had an open mind - as the right bike for the right price will pop up and you will know when it does - I have known all to often o_O

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I've been market watching for several months now for the older stuff. (851 through to 998).
    Hopefully will have managed to buy something by year end. Heart is currently saying 851/888, but
    head is saying I would give myself an easier life with spares etc going 996/998.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DAA2BECB-C34A-447B-A25A-7052523EA672.jpeg Not a Ducati and you might have to stretch the budget but this is what I’d buy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. I wouldn’t. What’s the point of buying something as an investment now? Both regarding our stage of life and the current effect of the lovely virus going around. Hey, you never know!

What I would do is buy a low mileage 2 year old Multistrada. Then you can ride it for plenty of years and enjoy it or maybe a Monster with touring gear. To hell with the depreciation, you have property and other stuff for that if needs be.

Oh, in fact that’s what I have done and I’m very happy with the machinery. What the hell is the point in having money back later in life when you can’t really enjoy it.

When this lockdown is over and the Mrs is fully better I’m going to sell up and bloody well enjoy it.

Care to join me?

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. £12 grand at 5% compound interest will more than double in value over 15 years, will a £12 grand Ducati taking into account the added expenses like insurance and maintenance?

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 5% Birdie? You’ll be lucky.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. I would second what Sam said - if you want a 20 year investment buy shares - although I'd love your problem :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Come on. We all know the score.

Man Maths at work.

Ignore the investment bit and get back to the bikes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. I,m lucky then, i,m getting 5.6 and have been for years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Banker :thinkingface::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ducati were compared against investments in the original question.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. There were 2 Indiana for sale on here about 10 weeks back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PM me the details. I’ll borrow loadsamoney at 1.9% put it into that and live happily ever after.

Mean time I’m waiting to hear just how much my pension has been decimated by.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 5th of a Desmo? Or if you wanted a whole bike, 996SPS

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. He did say hopefully get what you paid, but maybe a little more. It wasn't a money making proposal as much as a cost you nowt
    and get a few years enjoyment idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. And don’t forget Man Maths. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information