1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Happened?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Tim Heywood, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Last Sunday I headed out for a run across to Selkirk, Moffat and all points west, leaving home at ~10:40. I returned home rather earlier than expected at 13:20; with a damaged bike and concussion.

What Happened?

To be honest I don’t know, what I do know is that I filled up in Selkirk at the Shell station (as evidenced by the CC payment) and then somewhere I was hit from behind. I can only assume that I was stationary as the bike hasn’t been over, but the exhaust and the tail fairing of the 848 are damaged. The bruises to my calf and the back of my elbow continue the theme and the only explanation I have for the bruise on the back of my hand is that it the elbow was hit, it pushed forwards and up under the mirror, breaking the front subframe.
    SQZZ6630.JPG

Was anyone in the Selkirk, St Mary’s Loch area last Sunday (23rd June) lunchtime – did you see anything or hear of anything?

Someone helped out with some tape on the front fairing, but who I have no idea
    RTDE4013.JPG

Very grateful for all and any info as to what happened.

Tim

• Love You Love You x 1
  2. Wow that must feel weird for you - like an alien abduction :bucktooth:
    Hope you can piece stuff together!

3. The funny part is watching people realise that when I say I don't know I really do not know... The conversation follows the path of "where did it happen? Don't know. When did it happen, Don't know, How.... "

The Alien abduction thing is very apt - apart from the damage to the bike. How I rode 50 plus miles home in that state I will never know :)

4. why concussed? any damage to your helmet.

5. How can someone hit another person and do a runner like that? They could literally be the difference between life and death if they stopped to check your condition

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Bloody hell! That's scary. Please tell me you have been checked out by a doctor mate :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Plod had any input?

8. Hope you get the info you need.
    Really sad to think people think that not stopping is acceptable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Assume that you came off the bike & banged your head? Can’t understand the concussion unless you did. I lost about 10-15 minutes after my off & it’s a really weird feeling having a gap in my memory that I’ve never been able to reconcile. It’s as if 15 minutes of my life were just rewound & erased. Hope you & the bike fix up quickly. Strange story indeed!

10. There is no damage to the helmet at all - equally there is no slide damage and the handle bar ends are pristine. So I can only conclude that I didn't fall off.

The Doctors said that a wiplash induced concussion is extremely likely and the sore neck would concur, it feels streached at the front and compressed at the back, so...

I start having memories abot 16:00 and I can remember breakfast (scrambled eggs) vey clearly... I remember thinking how the new leathers felt different and deciding what route to take to selkirk, but not the ride there or back etc.

But to repeat - no banging of head and no falling off.

11. Between the Berwick Infirmary and the BGH I was in for 30 hours or so.

Got to go back for an ultrasound and an MRI scan (did I have global amnesia first or...)

The Plod are almost interested, but I'm more curious.

12. If someone helped you with the duc tape get the police to finger print it - it could easily be the person (van) that ran into you. Maybe in your concussed state they patched you up and sent you on your way? :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Looking at the pictures, this is a real mystery. Looks like the only real damage is to the rear right hand side of your exhaust and the rear tail fairing & you say that your hand has broken the front subframe. Do you mean the connecting part that fits between the mirrors & the fairing? So you’ve been hit from the rear rh side, hard enough to shatter the tail fairing & lights, bend the exhaust & concuss you but not hard enough to knock you off your bike or substantially damage it & it was rideable home?
    Good luck trying to work that one out with no memory, it’d be almost impossible with a full memory!

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. My daughter is like most millenials, social media aware. See if there are any local facebook, what's app groups around that area and put the word out. If someone helped you, looking at that location, chances are they would be local and someone might have heard something

• Like Like x 4
  15. Keep it neutral in tone though: nothing that would embarrass you if read out to a judge or your Mother!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. It happened to me in 2001 when I had my big off. :confused: It was at the height of foot and mouth disease and the last thing I remember was riding over some carpets over the road covered in disinfectant, then lying on a grass embankment talking to a paramedic who was cutting my leathers off me. o_O The distance between the 2 places was a few minutes riding apart too. I have zero memory of any riding or waiting for an ambulance and it's never come back to me, not a snippet of a memory. It doesn;t feel weird because I don't know what I've forgotten. :thinkingface:

*I almost forgot. Smashed shoulder and elbow. Chipped bones in my neck and hip. :( My x-rays are a sight to behold. :eyes:

#16 Robarano, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. no sign of blood? it looks as though "glancing" blow was done my something metal or similar?

18. Wasn’t st Mary’s loch where that bloke got abducted by fairies ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Any cctv footage in that area that picked this up:thinkingface:

20. Does your bum hurt, sure sign of an alien abduction, all those probes and stuff

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information