1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Have They Done Now?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by mrH, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Would have thought my MT07 was fairly mainstream and I’ve removed the rear pegs. Must admit as I never carry a pillion it is a pet hate when I cannot remove the rear pegs.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. I knew this would have started something!
    As expected. A real shame as expressed by the majority.
    No doubting the advances in some ways but that isn’t always why we buy Ducatis

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Hmmm ....

It's a pleasant enough bike I guess ...but the monster has now gone ...this bike is designed to appeal to new customers ....I suppose it will do well ....but it's not for me.

Very sanitised. ..quite a large part of modern motorbike mechanics and electronics are not very attractive anymore ....Chinese moulded plastic gubbins :worried:....so it's all hidden away behind acres of plastic....hence the engine almost disappeared ...not very monster.

Ducati are moving away from the niche by the looks of it .... they want to grow. Let's hope they still make parts for older stuff in the future ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I switched from a succession of Monsters to a Street Triple when the Monsters went water-cooled, with ugly plumbing and ugly exhaust, no clearcoat lacquer on lower end models, but a hefty price tag. This won't tempt me back.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. upload_2020-12-3_15-32-11.png

upload_2020-12-3_15-32-29.png

FZ1 came to mind when I saw it.

It has nothing "Ducati" about it, specifically there is no visible trellis frame and the engine could be from anything. You can't even tell if it's a twin or a 4 pot unless you look closely and follow the lines of the plastic covers.

It's disappointing.

IMO, in terms of visuals Ducati hit the sweet spot with the M796/1100. Unfortunately that range only came with fairly old fashioned and low powered air cooled engines as Ducati saved the 848/1098 water cooled engines for the Streetfighter. I reckon a Monster with a 796/1100 frame and an 848/1098 engine would be close to perfect, but they started to lose their way with the M821/1200 range, trying to make it look like a cross between a Monster and a streetfighter and they have drifted even further into middle-of-the-road play-it-safe blandness with this one.

Thanks Audi. But then I suppose once a global megacorp took over, money men driven by focus group feedback were bound to take precedence over the type of people who designed the original in their spare time not far off knocking up the sketches on the back of a fag packet.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Trying to be objective here:
    I like the tank and the "Brutalish" exhaust.
    It would have benefited from a SSSA.
    Not fond of the plastic. However, those parts can always be Carbon Fiberized.

About dropping the Trellis:
    Unlike the first few generations of Monsters, the Trellis hasn't had that much of a visual impact on the latter iterations.
    The trend have been in the making for awhile.
    The Trellis was dropped from the first generation of Panigale (i.e. 1199) with much improvement in handling and weight savings and then the frame was changed again with the Panigale V4 and the StreetFighter V4. Personally, I have no issues with that.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I would imagine that Ducati’s data crunchers have decided that the “traditional” Monster buyer has either already got one or moved on to a Diavel/Streetfighter/etc and the lineup is not selling like it used to, so it’s time to have a hard reset on the model and see if it attracts new customers to the brand

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Funny thing with weight savings. Give it two years and it will be like any fit bird you might be lucky enough to grab, they relax and wallop! pizza time! Gains twenty kilo overnight..back where you started.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. I agree,after a different customer altogether.
    A2 compatable also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The problem is that if every manufacturer chases the same big group of "average" customers who dwell under the fat part of the bell curve, then it could actually be counterproductive because they simply join half a dozen other manufacturers all chasing the same people. I would have thought they'd be better off trying to maintain strong brand identity in order to cater to those riders who don't want a Honda or a Yamaha, but I'm sure my "I would have thought" common sense is contradicted by the findings of Audi's multi-million Euro market research budget!

Still. Sadly, homogeneity is the way of the world these days and the reason why every single town centre looks exactly the same now. If I was in the market for a street/naked bike with a bit of character then I would buy an MV rather than that normcore looking run of the mill roadster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Or you could do what I do..... namely strip them down, put them on a weight loss routine, given them a new set of clothes and then never ride 'em.

I'm talking about bikes, not birds, btw ;)

12. First thing I thought was Kawasaki en6, bag of shite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Looks like a Suzuki gladius

Still got this, 8 years after buying it. I won't be swapping

20180714_075155_kindlephoto-11537435.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Your being too kind, it looks bloody awful.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Jeez, tough audience! I like it, but of course it would have to be test ridden to be properly approved of...

16. I like it about as much as the old one, neither are particularly interesting to me though. I’m fairly indifferent to the trellis as I’m sure most of the target market are, I’m guessing this is now the missing link for young Scrambler type buyers to step up to mainline Ducati as they get older

17. I am, sincerely, not one of those people who instantly decries or generally takes time to come round to The New. (I liked the 999 from its inception, and there's a good litmus test for Ducatisti.) But I am (still) shocked by what they have done with this design. I have a fresh look every day to see if there's something I can warm to, but it doesn't work: it's just shockingly generic and unDucati. It could be brilliant when ridden but really that's not the (whole) point: if you like and own and ride Ducatis it's because you have a developed aesthetic sense. It's not just about how a Ducati rides; it's how it makes you feel when you look at it in the garage. And this does not do it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. It is just not Ducati enough.
    There are so many brilliant bikes out there with fewer idiosyncrasies that cost less why would we keep buying Ducati's if everyone believed it was a Yamaha?. Hell, why not also stop selling ANY of them in red? Get a modern color.
    How many people would buy a Camaro for $250,000 plus if it was just a regular Camaro but said Ferrari on it? With none of the style and panache?

19. I didn't buy my Monster because of the trellis frame, I bought it because it's a great ride, handles very well, comfortable and more than quick enough and it looks good. I expected to be in a minority but I like the look of the new one, more modern and if it rides great I'd be tempted. If they would only put the V2 engine in it I'd order one tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  20. It has got the Testastretta L twin in it ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information