1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Intercom And Nav

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by RC1, Aug 25, 2020.

1. For years I had an autocom wired system with the PTT on the left handlebar linked to let’s say a radio which was a little more powerful than permitted, worked a treat, only sold it to go Bluetooth when I got the Multi.

2. The Cardo mesh system was a game changer for our group on tours. It moved it on incredibly and was much better for our group even if spread out as the range is a bit better, but connects back up once in range really quickly.
    We got the first packtalk model and I know they have moved into the Bold range now with better voice commands, but the voice commands are still rubbish, so I wouldn't bother upgrading.

3. Be interested to see what you decide on.
    Useful but I haven’t been able to get past the ugly unit stuck on the side of your helmet previously.

4. Had the same setup until I got the MV that had zero space under the seat for all the kit. Very robust, reliable and bike powered. Modular too so if anything did fail, which over many years it didn't, you could easily replace just that part. Naughty PMR radio with an external antenna gave about 5km or real world range. With PMR being a cross manufacturer standard there were no compatability issues and on ride outs and tours with my club at the time there would be a few of us able to converse. Very useful when leading and TECing a tour group.

I have an old school Sena 10U headset. All fits within the shell of the helmet so is protected from the elements and also from damage. Just replaced with the same as one of the speakers on the five year old original packed up. Could have bought a newer unit but would have had to have a 'wart' on the side of my lid. Best friend and touring buddy has the same system too. About 1k of real range in optimal conditions.

I do have a Sena SR10 unit that allows me to hook up my old PMR radio. Was meant to be leading/TECing a tour this year but that was cancelled. We're getting the other guy I'm running it with setup with the same, can link to any BT headset, not just Sena.

5. I ran a Starcom1 wired system with a PMR for 8 years and 3 bikes. All worked well except the connectors were flimsy and needed replacing every 2 years. I now have Garmin XT and a Cardo Pack talk. Part of the reason for this was that the XT does not have wired intercom capacity. I did look into a Bluetooth to PMR radio but then the quids rack up. Brother sold his bike so that problem went away

6. im making no sense of this but i dont want a wart thing on my lid and it looks like i need to spend 500 plus to get the stuff above?

7. I just bought a Sena 50R and have a Garmin Zumo, all paired via the bike, seems ok but haven't ridden with it yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ive got an arai rx7 gp which looks compatible with the 10u thingy

9. Me and 4 riding buddies are using Interphone Tour...I am not so much into this gadgetry thing.(mate set it up for me)
    But it seems they work fine once paired and can also connect to phone and satnav via Bluetooth.

10. I'm going to have a used Garmin 595LM for sale in about a week if you might be interested?
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/536397
    They seem to go for between £220 and £260 on eBay.

11. Used to use an external intercom unit (Cardo) but the increase in wind noise was too distracting so now use Shoei Neotec 2 with integrated Sena unit coupled with Garmin Zumo 595, great works perfectly.

12. im leaning towards the newer 396 with its higher quality display which is 200 on fleabay... how much would you want for yours and any accessories?

13. Hi mate, sorry for the delay I’m on a bike trip in Cumbria this week. I’ll let you know but mine would be around £200 as well. I think the 595 has a larger display

Do Not Sell My Personal Information