1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Made You Buy The Hypermotard?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by JenC, May 24, 2015.

1. Ooh, black n white hyper - the colour I fancied but ended up with a used red-un as the price was good. Silverstone also, raced the GP circuit recently, oh boy - that is some track. Would love to take the Hyper round there but not sure I could afford to drop it! 1st time I saw a Hyper 1100 it was love. Great semi supermoto lines, underseat exhaust; fantastic. Really liked the old KTM super duke but price & fuel consumption put me off, then saw figures for 1100 Hyper - eek! Then the 796 came out & it was the lightness that did it for me. Ok, not a wheelie monster like the 1100 but more than quick enough for the road & decent mpg too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Theres a bloody cheap 1100 evo sp at raceways atm 6 and a half k..... If my supermoto was finished id have chopped it infor that!

3. Had my ecu flashed when I had my Termis and LV decat pipe put on....kicks out 92bhp now :upyeah: eaten LOADS os sportsbikes too :)

4. On the website? I can't see it

5. I was looking on eBay...

6. Is that a standard paint scheme for evo sp?
    As in , could you buy them as a Troy rep?

7. No... I dont think so, but, that is cheap for an sp..... Id bite their hand off for that !

8. Thought I'd revive this thread!

I ended up craving a Hyper after having one for six days on loan while my Scrambler was being worked on. I'd always thought the hyper's were kind of cool but a bit too weird looking and niche. I was offered a Monster 821 or the standard 939 Hyper. I'd had a Monster 1200s the week before, so time for something different...

I REALLY made the most of that week with the bike. Rode over the Peaks to visit my Dad and go for for a play with him and his mates on their big superbikes around Lincolnshire. Flew back over the peaks again and then took it on a 400 mile road trip up to Durham.
    That was a long day. It was the morning after the Brexit vote and I was absolutely fuming, so the poor thing got flogged up the motorways. I've always ridden naked bikes but it still felt like my head was going to drop off when I arrived. What a laugh though!
    The dealer was surprised to find... quite a few miles on the clock of their demo. I reminded them these miles were intended for my Scrambler (which they'd had for nearly 3 months) and that kept them quiet!

The Hyper was NEVER dull, not for even a second. It made mincemeat of heavy traffic but more importantly it totally munched start/stop twisty and torn up backroads. Even on the sub par standard suspension, you could bury the front end on the way into a corner and then just fly out the other side, front wheel skipping merrily along the tarmac... I'm certainly no expert, I've been riding around 7 years in total but the Hyper fills you with absolute confidence.

Que my 939 SP arriving a few days ago, almost a year after sampling the Hyper.
    Riding the Monster 1200s, Multistrada 1200s and several other 150+ bhp freight trains, made it abundantly clear I am not mature enough for that level of responsibility. I'd quickly be in prison! but my Scrambler as much as it really tried, just wasn't enough bike. It all too frequently ran out of brakes and the suspension wasn't as willing as the rest of the machine.

The hyper is a proper Goldilocks bike. It's got enough to feel quick in any company but not so much that it all gets too serious. It's going to be a good year!

#29 Joooooooosh, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Yep. Lots don't like them. I'm a leftfield person myself ( I tend not to go for the usual stuff ). 1100evo sp. Rsv4 ( not the popular choice) z1000 ( definitely not the naked choice ) never had a decent review. And, a 525 supermoto ( always wanted to build one ) and didn't want to just buy one off the shelf...

Brilliant bikes. No plans to sell mine....plans to upgrade the rear shock if I get the chance...

10. I honestly don’t know how I came across the Hypermotard I bought. I didn’t even road test it. It was more a case of here’s my money, give me the keys. I’m so glad I did! I’ve always rode sports bikes. Comfy riding position. Great for weekend rides and brilliant for the 25 mile commute to work. Wouldn’t mind taking it out on a track.

I am after an exhaust for it. If anyone know of one for sale let me know.

11. Having had a Hyper for the last six years or so, first a 796 then an 821SP, the time has come for a change here. The Hyper is going shortly and in its (and the Scrambler Full Throttle's, it's going as well) place will be a new white Supersport S replete with the full Akropovic system.

I will certainly miss the Hypermotard but the time has come for a change, especially with the CCM Flat Tracker arriving sometime in the summer hopefully. Having both the CCM and the Hypermotard would be a bit daft.

12. yeah...who needs a ccm..!

13. The SS is a great bike! I had a long test ride on one and my Dad bought one in November. they are a really great size, I got on and enjoyed throwing it around immediately. Bit cramped in the leg department for me but my favourite feature has to be how well the cockpit area is finished. I wish I had that quickshifter on my bike!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Put a Healtech on yours....got one on my 1100 evo sp. Pretty easy install.

15. Is it that simple? I’ve seen a few posts on here that made it seem less straightforward :thinkingface:
    I can see me having a crack at some point though.

I test rode a Brutale 800 and almost bought it purely for the bark it let out on upshifts! Haha, amazing!

16. Yep - im quite sure yours would be easier than mine (i can only speak for mine (the 1100)) but, the hardest part of fitting mine is/was lifting the tank off....at the back of the tank the bulk of the electrics sit on that so pretty well everything has to be disconnected to get the tank off...after that its a case of cliping the loom in place in between the coil packs and the loom. Take the cable for the qs/strain guage itself down to the gear linkage, run the main box to the back of the bike (on the rear of the tank where the rest of the electrics are) and reassemble...after that its software config on the phone app...

#38 comfysofa, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Obviously the healtech is manual in that its not hooked into the ecu. A qs thats ecu integrated is going to be more accurate as its cut time depends on the revs ie my rsv4 which has the integrated ecu has a minimum cut time of 7k (before that it wont work) but if i shift at 7k (for example) the cut time is going to be longer than if i shift right up at the top end of the scale....

The hyper is set to 50ms and the smoothest shift point is around 8 - 10k (if i shift below that) its a tad more abrupt, but, thats no biggie really as ive im going to use the shifter im going to be pushing on. One thing the healtech does have is control over the cut time in, individual gear (something ive not set but, if you want that level of control its there)

I will add (if you do find my thread on it) that on friday it did a firmware update and the engine kill test in the config now works (something that was giving me a few issues originally) - but if you read through the thread in the scheme of things it was a non issue.... and while i was having those issues Healtech themselves were brilliant, very helpful and even sent me some extra bits and pieces at no cost (they trusted me to send the said stuff back which i did).

I was always a QS convert as i test rode an s1000r a few years back and that was my first exposure to quick shifters, straight after that i set about retro fitting the ecu integrated one into my rsv4 factory (mines an old pre aprc) which didnt have it but a lad on the af1 forum was brilliant and reflashed my ecu to enable it along with a custom map and other stuff...

• Like Like x 1
  18. I bought mine because I’m a hoonigan,love wheelies and general hooning around,love the bike,hate the gearbox

Do Not Sell My Personal Information