1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Made You First Want A Ducati ?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by oldtech, Jul 5, 2019.

1. nice testimony ^ i'm sure I would have wanted one after that also.

• Like Like x 1
  2. A 916..... Just loved the looks and sound.
    Our first Duke here was a 916SPS... got sold and went to the middle East, then a 998S on a 2002 plate.... Still have it now.
    Sadly I'm not longer the correct shape to ride it and curse when it goes for an MOT, just 6 miles away.
    Last proper ride was in 2013 to Brighton for the big event.... the pain in my wrists and back was so great I nearly got an ambulance back.... it's not fun filtering in traffic on that baby.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was 17 and a mate bought a 250 Mach 1 from Eddie Crooks, I had a James! He couldn’t ride it very well, bit wimpish maybe so I took over the hp payments from him and got the bike. Fabulous to ride in those days, kept up with nearly all 250s and a few 500 British bikes.

6 years later started repairing bikes for a living and got a Ducati dealership from Coburn and Hughes. A year later took a new 750 Sport out to try and never looked back since. Got an old 900SS hack from Eddie’s and built it into a racer after Mike Hailwood won TT in 78 which I used twice in MGP but never got a finish on it, came off it both years to my shame but it was fantastic to ride.

Last one was a 996 but sold that to build another racer, just need a Panigale now, they fit me nicely in old age!
    Mal

• Like Like x 4
  4. My mate got me to sit on the back of his one day old 916 in 1997, after a nail biting 20 minute thrash round the local country roads I thought I need one of these, bought it of him 11 years ago, you couldn’t chisel the smile off my face every time I go out on it, still only got 5600 miles on the clock, should get out more

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WSBK & Foggy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well I rode on a 4 day trip around Tuscany in the mountains with a group of 7 other bikes - most of them Multistrada’s just zipping around. I worked hard to keep up w them on a big fat Harley Electraglide because my wife wanted a “comfy seat”. The trip ended in Bologna and a visit to the Ducati factory. Of course I went straight to the dealer when I got back to the States and test rode the Triumph Tiger, BMW GS1250, and a Grey 2017 1200S Multi they had still on the floor. Let’s just say there was no comparison - kept looking for another higher gear on the Tiger and GS. Neither came close to putting a grin on my face like the Ducati. Yeah Maybe the GS is more popular and reliable but there ain’t nothing like that Multi - have not regretted it one day...we’ll until the fuel sensor went out - haha. Really just no comparison.

13207146-CD70-43BC-B763-03B92E4764CE.jpeg

7. Bit different for me....my mate pushed me into it....he initially said after a 15 year stint off of bikes with (at the time) no inclination to buy another bike. House, marriage, kids in that order i thought my time with bikes was done and over...its strange but ive got to blame the wife for everything....at that time, i was riding my pushbike to work (11 miles each way)- motorbikes werent even on the radar. Her boss son at the time was an ambulance driver and while he was at my wifes work mentioned that whenever he visited an RTA a pushbiker was always in a more worse shape than a biker....6 months of "you gotta get rid of that pushbike and get a motorbike...." and, genuinely at the time i was trying to resist thinking "yep, the time on bikes is done, finished." In the end we got into a blazing row one night and i shouted at her.."right fuckit ill buy i bike" - hopped on ebay and bought a drz400sm on the spot....my mate rode it home...i got on it to go to work, got to the bottom of the road and though...need something bigger...!, bought my neighbours z1000 gen 1, but hankered for something like my old TDR250 which was the most bonkers thing id ever owned...my mate texted me the ebay number and said....you gotta get this (immaculate Hypermotard 1100s) which to me looked like a TDR250 on steroids...we'd done the TT the year before and at the ferry there were a couple of guys on 916's - they started them and i leaned over from my zed and said "mate, thats gonna detonate any minute" and he replied "yeah they do that now and again"....and there i am...so, now im totally addicted...its her fault...!

• Like Like x 1
  8. 'cos I was a kid in the 90's when Foggy rode one... and they were the TITS!

9. Always liked italian cars and motorcycles. Just took me a while to be brave enough to get some. :)
    Kawasaki Zephyr 550 -> Yamaha FZR 1000 -> Aprilia RSV Mille -> Ducati 900 Supersport

10. I started on Triumphs of the 70's.
    I wanted something that did not vibrate (or break down)and every road test in every bike magazine of the time kept leading me back to Ducati bevel twins. I started to pay attention to what they might be.
    Eventually bought a used Darmah privately from a guy about 5 miles away. Within 200 yards i was hooked.

11. When my friend opened up his garage door and there inside was a beautiful red 900SS .... I was smitten, loved the look/colour/sound
    Pestered constantly to go out loved being pillion and was told to get my own and pass my test which I gladly did :)

Not realising they did a 600SS I was looking at the 848 or a monster
    And then I was told on the ducatisti forum that the SS came as a 600 well..... I had to have one and one of the forum members messaged me
    Went to see her fell in love and bought her, all I had to do was pass my DAS :)

My dream bike 888
    Sat on a supermono
    Either or both will do

The day I bought my dizzy :heart_eyes:

292018F7-C4E2-4691-B88D-7D56065CEF1D.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  12. Listening to the 916s race round the racetrack at Brands. Still the most intoxicating noise ever.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Where are the bins?

14. They have very old cars down your street :thinkingface:

15. I remember that photo when you first posted it all those years ago, must have been around 2007/8 ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. we are all seduced, in one way or another.

17. Seeing a monster when they came out, I fell in love. Just took me a bit over 20 years to grow a pair large enough to buy one,,,,, then an XDiavel super monster.

18. Watching FOGGY on his 916 and the sound :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: started it for me. I love the italian flair and like most on here, took me while to actually take the plunge..Sooo pleased I finally have one. I have my Duc in the garage which is also my Gym...Can't think of anything better than working out and looking at her, makes me smile everytime and can't believe I actually own one:upyeah::).

19. It was what a great memory you have :)

20. It’s 11 years ago in Ashby

Do Not Sell My Personal Information