1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What music are you listening to ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Imola, May 26, 2012.

1. I think their full name is Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All...

Great video but is a bit sweary so old types will disapprove

#41 blufoot, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  2. Johnny Marr Is Awesome on a guitar :upyeah:

3. Yeah, pretty funny but somehow can't see it making Top of the Pops.
    Have to admit that the only rap that really floats my boat is Eric B and Rakim - and that was in the 80s.

Chord progressions? Nope. Melodies? Nope. Rhythms normally looked generated by GarageBand and most of the time I can't follow the lyrics, which sort of defeats the whole point of it. But I'm happy it gives pleasure to millions.

4. had a look ooi but not for me, nothing to do with age though - interesting to see how the man blows coke out his nose but the heap gets smaller - must have forgot to reverse during compile.

always was a Robert Smith 'fan' apart from the way he routinely used to sack his drum players. Listened to all by Mathew Cooper earlier in the year, a bit Eno-ish.

5. I'm in for a Hawkwind revival at the moment! Space Ritual, so I'll see you sometime later, when I'm thru with my accumulator, it's no social integrator, it's a back brain isolator, from .... mad's a bloody brush :cool:

6. had 'Masters of' on vinyl when it first came out but sold it to a school mate soon afterwards.. I've still got a rare 'Michael Moorcock' record that featured most of Hawkwind (bar Lemmy).

7. They wrote some great songs, were a great band, especially the early stuff as you say with Lemmy, fond memories of some interesting conditions at a few shows back in the day!!

8. I've just been listening to the Best of Black Sabbath in the car which I have recently bought. Excellent! Haven't heard some of those tunes for 30 years. Toni Iommi was the riffmeister!

The girl at the checkout looked nonplussed when I bought it along with the Best of Boney M.

9. Re: Hawkwind - went to see them somewhere North London and similar memories - what was that dancers name?

10. I understand the Sabbath thing, but please, what on earth compelled you to buy a Boney M record!? I did quite like Rasputin tho now I think about it, in a poppy bouncy happy boingyness sort of way, not that I'd ever admit it in public.

11. Yes, you mean the well endowed lady?? Um, stella, sheila, summat like that!! My god!!

12. #52 Chris, Jul 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  13. #53 Greyman, Jul 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Boney M - much maligned because of a really dodgy look and a crap name. They were just the front on stage for the studio work of Frank Farian, a German. The group all came from Caribbean islands and a lot of their stuff was just poppy rewordings of Jamaican and Caribbean music. If you listen to them now, you get the superb production and arrangements - worthy of Abba. Amazing string lines and great grooves. The continentals had something in the disco era. Georgio Moroder, the bloke who wrote and produced all the Donna Summer records, is German; Cerrone (he of Supernature fame) is French.

I'm mainly doom minor key stuff (Cure, Radiohead, Joy Division) but I defy you to listen to the great disco records of the time without cackling with glee and dancing around the room. I have also recently acquired Saturday Night Fever - chock full of classic toons.

There is a time to be cheerful.

15. Hawkwind used to do a regular gig at Dunstable and occasionally appeared at St.Albans as well. Fond memories...

16. The Music Randomiser on my PC has thrown up a variety of stuff. Last five plays:

The Tubes
    Warren Zevon
    Geneva
    Pendragon
    Frank Zappa

Now playing: Kevin Ayers "Girl on a Swing".

I love my randomiser :cool:

17. now yout talking :- saw them at Hammersmith Odeon at probably their peak. Fee Waybill was a real showman, I think they tried a live show on the back of a truck down a popular road in London but soon got arrested. The support band was a relatively unknown band called 'Squeeze'. I stayed in the bar which I regret now of course but only had 'Cool for Cats' to go by..

#57 Chris, Jul 21, 2012
  18. I don't think that Cool for Cats would have kept me out of the bar.

19. that's exactly what i'm saying, they were fairly new on the scene and C.F.C. was in the charts. Fact is Difford and Tilbrook already had a fine rack of unheard songs that they must have played plus I missed Jools on the keyboards!

20. Squeeze were massively under-rated ... by me, at least! I've gone back now and enjoyed them the way I should have done at the time.

The only real justification for inventing a time machine is so that I could go back and watch one of The Tubes shows back in the 70's. One of my very biggest regrets in life is never having seen them back then.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information