1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What The Duc????

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Zhed46, Oct 30, 2019.

• WTF WTF x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. Must be a right bitch to ride, it would feel like you're losing the rear at every corner, and Dog help you in a low traction situation !!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MY EYES!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Did you watch the video? It’s about as graceful as a shopping trolley with a wonky wheel and trying to do a power wheelie just results in a front wheel burnout :neutral:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Err I think he needs some help, clearly a bored person :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Any sort of hard acceleration would result in complete wheel spin. Front wheel spin is not something I would like to experience on a bike.
    Steve

6. Yeah. Can you imagine trying to power out of a damp corner and that happening? Scary

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. remeber this? i personnaly would employ some kind of electric fron hub drive but there you go.

9. I remember hearing about that years ago, never saw it though :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yep. I do. I don’t understand why that idea didn’t catch on tbh as it gives a huge benefit for minimal weight. Perhaps it was because it would be ineligible under motocross rules and of minimal benefit on road bikes that it never caught on.

I love the engineering on the bicycle version with the drive shaft running through the top tube.

I could see an eleccy version with front and rear hub motors would work, but not a dual petrol/rear electric/front version as the batteries would be difficult to package because they normally replace the engine. The weight would be prohibitive too.

11. i dont think it would need batteries just an extra winding in the gennerator.
    but aye, clever stuff, assuming the chain dont break and rip of yer winkie.

12. Do you reckon an engine driven generator would provide enough power? My ebike produces 3kw and judging by how that feels I reckon you’d need more than that on an MX bike because although it’s only driving an auxiliary wheel an MX bike/wheel is a lot heavier and you’d also need a lot of power to overcome the interia/resistance of a tyre which is stuck in mud.

#13 Zhed46, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  13. not a tall. but just enough i think.

14. Bit of a pointless excessive in doing summmit cos you can I reckon. Would be pointless in traditional motocross also as half the fun is roosting the fucker behind with your back wheel and front wheel means you roost yourself ha ha
    Also that chain set up wouldn’t last five minutes jumping 130 ft and heavy landing

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Just thinking through the challenges....

How would you make sure the front (eleccy) and rear (petrol) motors ran in sync?

You can’t use a transfer box as the front wheel motor just sits over the hub. You’d need some sort of ECU reading the engine revs and then deciding how much power to give the front wheel. Another issue is that petrol and electric motors have different torque characteristics so as the electric motor hits max torque from the get go, the petrol engine would still be in the foothills of its torque curve which could make the handling a tad unpredictable.

If you only lived closer, I’d be suggesting we should give it a go! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Just graft a Toyota Prius hybrid into a Honda Valkyrie and you're laughing :upyeah:

17. You would use a cvt style transmission or a haldex style coupling to differentiate between torque characteristics. Easy peezzy

• Like Like x 1
  18. Again....don’t go making suggestions like that as I was thinking that the Valk would make a really good basis for a trike and your suggestion is not a million miles away from that idea :bucktooth:

19. bearing in mind i would only be expecting the front to pull slightly.
    speed sensors front and rear. the softwhere required dosent sound overly complex.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information